My son is getting a CI

Then I'd be more than glad to point out the accurate and useful information here: Teach your child ASL so they don't feel left out later on in life.

No one has stated that kids can't or shouldn't be taught ASL. If we've gotten to a point where the truths and accurate statements need to be pointed out among so many dead wrong, misleading and intentionally accurate statements, that's pretty sad.

Then I'd be more than glad to point out the accurate and useful information here: Teach your child ASL so they don't feel left out later on in life.

I totally agree with that.
We've been learning ASL "signs" since we found out our son was deaf. My wife and I plan on taking some formal ASL classes when time permits but for now its just books, websites and Signing Time! dvd's which my kids love.
We seem to watch them so much that my kids have changed the opening song lyrics from "Its Signing Time with Alex and Leah" to "Its Signing Time with Elliott and Cara" complete with their name signs!

I totally agree with that.
We've been learning ASL "signs" since we found out our son was deaf. My wife and I plan on taking some formal ASL classes when time permits but for now its just books, websites and Signing Time! dvd's which my kids love.
We seem to watch them so much that my kids have changed the opening song lyrics from "Its Signing Time with Alex and Leah" to "Its Signing Time with Elliott and Cara" complete with their name signs!

try not to take too long. The older you get, the harder it gets <---this includes your son too. Learn something new little by little if you can't take classes right away. Better none at all.

No, the odd of something actually injure CI is VERY, VERY rare. Or any head injuries. but it still scares me.. what doesn't.
but doctors should be able to take care of it.

I don't think most people here really thought it would stop him.

ElliotsDad, High five to you!!!!! Have you contacted the Iowa School for the Deaf?
I know off the top of my head that Iowa School for the Deaf is very hoh/oral skilled friendly. Ask them about resouces for Elliot to learn Sign! He can you know....like a teacher could come to your house to teach your whole family sign! he could also go to a dhh preschool or something. I know you guys might be worried about concentrating on speech right now.....and that's OK. But as long as he gets good quality speech therapy he will continue to progress. Also, even if he has mild-moderate speech/language delays, the sign can serve as a clarification and be another very useful tool.

I truly wish you the best Elliots Dad. One fact that you should know is that the CI will not be benifical in all cases. My child is a case in point. Hopefully that doesn't happen with your experience. The only thing I would say is to make sure you have a plan B in place and continue with sign language regardless.

ElliotsDad, High five to you!!!!! Have you contacted the Iowa School for the Deaf?
I know off the top of my head that Iowa School for the Deaf is very hoh/oral skilled friendly. Ask them about resouces for Elliot to learn Sign! He can you know....like a teacher could come to your house to teach your whole family sign! he could also go to a dhh preschool or something. I know you guys might be worried about concentrating on speech right now.....and that's OK. But as long as he gets good quality speech therapy he will continue to progress. Also, even if he has mild-moderate speech/language delays, the sign can serve as a clarification and be another very useful tool.

Very true post too. Ive been to Iowa School quite a few times.

Good Luck Elliott and Elliott's dad, I don't regret my decision in having a CI.

CI had not stopped me from high level horse riding (I events, hunts, trains race horses), high level yacht racing, climbing (with/without harness/hat), skiing double black runs/off piste, many, many other sports.

MOST recreational dives doesn't go further than 25m.

Grendel, I missed your comment about "what do deaf people call it when they use hearing aids/CIs? Me DUH!
We CAN hear, but not the way a hearing person can. Technology gives a pretty good approxamentation of speech and sound, but it's not exactly the way a hearing person would think of when they think hearing.
Sort of like the way an eye doc can give a low vision kid really good glasses. They could see (and pretty well compared to a blind person), but their visual input is still not normal. Even a person who is near or farsighted would find the input, not what they see.
For example my perception of hearing would be what hearing people would see as more visual/tactile. We can hear at really good listening levels.....but the input is still not hearing person hearing . That's why a lot of dhh kids still have deaf voices.
Oh and PFH is Iowa good at getting dhh kids bilingal?

ISD is almost in Nebraska, and far from Elliott. Des Moines is close to him and has a great DHH magnet program where students not dhh are also instructed in ASL.

That's good that there's a local dhh program! That's one of the best things to happen due to mainstreaming...at least there are regional formal dhh programs available, and little kids don't HAVE to go far away to school, like they did in the old days.
On the other hand, maybe it might be a good idea to contact ISD around school time or even now. I know for example that many specialized schools offer evaluation services.ISD might be a good resource for speech and language evaluations or school placement if things may not work out (ie he has a tough time in middle or high school. Still that's jumping ahead quite a bit LOL. But you know, they may also know of other resouces like playgroups, social groups, good speech therapists who are familiar with dhh kids and so on.

ISD is almost in Nebraska, and far from Elliott. Des Moines is close to him and has a great DHH magnet program where students not dhh are also instructed in ASL.

Capital View Elementary? Or is there another? I think we looked into that at one time but decided to see how he does locally (6 blocks vs 25 miles) with the help he receives .

Capital View Elementary? Or is there another? I think we looked into that at one time but decided to see how he does locally (6 blocks vs 25 miles) with the help he receives .

Yes. And it seems to be doing very well. Hopefully all will go very well for Elliot either at his home school or the magnet school.. :)

Back