My son is Deaf, Finally!

a long time ago I met a poster from a different board was upset with her deaf grandma for congratulating their child for being deaf. She was upset and thought the grandma was cold-hearted for being happy their child is deaf. She wanted to hear sympathies than congrats. She thought it was terrible that her child is deaf.

a long time ago I met a poster from a different board was upset with her deaf grandma for congratulating their child for being deaf. She was upset and thought the grandma was cold-hearted for being happy their child is deaf. She wanted to hear sympathies than congrats. She thought it was terrible that her child is deaf.

Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me.

The child picks up on that attitude as s/he gets older. Does wonders for self-esteem.

I will never forget this little boy at the deaf school where I was at...I was a senior and he was in 2nd grade. He was from an all-deaf family...even their pets were deaf! I mean uncles, aunts, cousins, mom/dad, etc. Deaf. His mom was expecting a baby soon, and when the baby was born, the boy was evidently very upset. The houseparents were unable to console him and for some reason they summon me to the dorm to try to talk with him. He was really upset and he finally told me that there was something "wrong" with the baby. I was a little shocked, and I began imagining the baby in the NICU or something. I asked him what did his mother tell him that was wrong with the baby.

He looked at me with the saddest face. "My sister is hearing."

His family was really upset, and his mother even contemplated giving the baby up for adoption. She didn't know what to do with a hearing baby.

A few days later the hearing test was done again, and it showed the baby was deaf. Everyone was relieved.

I'll never forget this experience. It sure was something.

hey, if s hearing baby, dont give it up. you could be teach your baby to learn sign language and they have a public schools at anywhere in the states the matter, your baby will grow up and learn 2 languages of english and signs then your child could be help you for interrupter signs,save your money and worryless. why should they be put your baby to the adoption and god will not forgiveness. i have a daughter who hearing,i m deaf father,we communicates with signs,no problem.

God will forgive you if you put your baby up for adoption. Parenting is a hard job and it is not for everyone.

It is worse if you keep a baby and do not care for it properly.

I will never forget this little boy at the deaf school where I was at...I was a senior and he was in 2nd grade. He was from an all-deaf family...even their pets were deaf! I mean uncles, aunts, cousins, mom/dad, etc. Deaf. His mom was expecting a baby soon, and when the baby was born, the boy was evidently very upset. The houseparents were unable to console him and for some reason they summon me to the dorm to try to talk with him. He was really upset and he finally told me that there was something "wrong" with the baby. I was a little shocked, and I began imagining the baby in the NICU or something. I asked him what did his mother tell him that was wrong with the baby.

He looked at me with the saddest face. "My sister is hearing."

yeah i met a few people saying, " yeah my parents are deaf" in a high peak of the mood.... then they said, " well not my sister or brother" It's my observation that i see that they are trying to accept that sibings are hearing.

Back