My morning in Audiology

melissa

Reaction score
Today I had the morning off work to go to audiology and collect a new mould as my old one had a chip which irritated my ear.

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I'd like to share my experience.

I wrote down things I wanted to ask about while I was waiting. The woman got the mould then went out of the room for something for 5mins or so. I noticed while looking at it that the part which goes into my ear canal was very short compared to the old mould, but I'm ok with that as the old one was sometimes painful to put in. It was interesting as the not-nice-head-of-audiology who took the impression for the originals was quite rough and asked if I'd had any surgery as my ear looked scarred- I haven't.

She came back and we talked about what I'd written down. I wanted to know if I could have programs as well as a volume control- when I asked for the volume control it got rid of the programs, which I never used at the time. When I'm in the pub every week for a meal with my friends, it's very difficult for me to follow/understand even on full volume so I usually just end up with my boyfriend talking loudly to me and me looking sadly into my drink while everyone else talks to each other. Yet other times I'm turning them down/off because things really hurt, like Loud Nigel at work, or a crowded cafe. Its like being assaulted by sounds. She put a directional setting on them so I can try this when I'm out.

I mentioned that it's very loud when I'm eating crunchy things, but her solution was to decrease the low frequencies and I didn't want this so I'll just live with it. I get some occlusion still but she said this would be worse with a soft mould.

I mentioned that the head audi said I couldn't have pink earmoulds as they were for kids, and she pulled a confused face and said I can have them next time...when my earmoulds crack or go hard..(I'm thinking, No Melissa, it's going to be so obvious if they mysteriously crack very soon!).

She also gave me an email address for contacting them but said they don't check much so it's best to call, then if I don't understand to say I'm going to email them.

Then she showed me how to change tubing, which I've never done before as I've only had BTEs with earmoulds since December just gone. The old tubing cracked when she took it out- she pointed out I'd notice it had gone hard if I washed them...!! She gave me 2 sets of extra tubing as well and told me how to wash them- weekly, with warm soapy water and rinse them thoroughly.

Finally, I asked for an audiogram with my aids in, as usual she asked why and I said just for my records, I want to see what I'm hearing with them in as opposed to out. She pulled a face with puppy dog eyes (same face as when I ask for audiogram printouts) and said they don't usually do them, and did I really really want it...she said they can't test the usual way with headphones as the aids will be in so they have to do a 'free field' test (I've never heard of this) in the childrens unit as they don't have the equipment. So, I'm getting an appt at the childrens unit for this test.

That's it really- I'm not used to dealing with people who actually listen to me and don't fob me off. I noticed afterwards that the new mould has a chip but it doesn't irritate my ear. I'm looking forward to trying the new program on Thursday night out (also my birthday!).

at least she listened to you! I don't know why some audies have to be so difficult.

Sounds like you certainly had a good morning in audiology and got all your questions answers and stuff done, yay! :)

at least she listened to you! I don't know why some audies have to be so difficult.

I went with a deaf friend of mine to one of her appointments, and her audi was rude to her. He decided that since I could hear, he didn't really need to talk to my friend--even though it was her appointment. It was so rude.

Thanks :) for some reason they (audios and doctors) seem more much co-operative when I write down my questions before I go in and pull out a big list and say I wrote down some questions I have so I don't forget. I'm looking forward to trying out the new program tomorrow when I'm out. Can't wait to get my records and see the aided audiogram as well :)

Glad that she listened to you and you had a good appointment :)

Regrading the length of the mould (how deep it goes into your ear) my first mould were set to a "typical depth" however I found that I was getting "chewing feedback" etc and my audie recommender trying a longer depth - which worked GREAT and is actaully very comfortable. It's almost twice as long as my former mould depths, however as I said - it's very comfortable, I get zero feedback and it feels a bit more "secure" if you sweat alot or move (running, gymnastics, sports, or just a hot climate etc)

One thing I always do is ask the mould maker to send back my impression - that way if I want another ear mould (different colour style etc) the cost is less because the don't have to take another impression (provided I was happy with the impression).

It's not uncommon for me to order multiple ear moulds at the same time (because then you only pay one impression fee and then the cost of each mould- saving $30-80)

I typically have one that is made of acrylic and clear with a slight pink tinge that blends so well it is almost invisible which I use for "very fancy occasions" or "initial professional interviews", the other mould is my "fun, everyday mould" which is silicone and usually a blue green swirl (no white) that looks a bit like the different colours of blue, aqua and greenish ocean water blending together :)

Although I first thought that I'd only occasionally wear the silicone mould (during the summer, and "jeans & t-shirt" situations, I actaully find it SOOO much more comfortable that I wear it 99.9% of the time ... even more fancy occasions (most of my "fancy clothing" is blue or green...so it even matches lol)

Have fun with your ear moulds !!

My audi told me about an older woman she knows that gets pink molds :D I got white this time, blue/green tie dye last time, "black" with rainbow sparkles before that LOL. I don't know what depth mine are- but it hasn't seem to have changed?

Haha

I love all the earmold colors my audi suggests. She told me about girl and her mom who were there (girl was getting new molds made) and the mom insisted that she get a beige-y skin tone color because they were going to a wedding or something. The daughter didn't get why her mother would care about the color of her molds- and neither do I. The girl eventually ended up getting two sets of molds :D

And not to hijack this, but I was never told to wash my tubing at all. Whenever it breaks I ask my hearing support teacher to replace it w. temporary tubing, then go home and make an appt. with the audi.

Ask your Audi for couple of tubes so u have few spares and learn how to replace them etc. It will make your life easier.

I know basically how to change tubing, the only thing I don't know how to do/have tools to do is to bend the tubing to fit. Once when I needed temporary tubing I went to the room and the teacher wasn't there, but a substitute who tried to help me, but we weren't sure about the bending.
That's interesting, thanks.

I mentioned that the head audi said I couldn't have pink earmoulds as they were for kids, and she pulled a confused face and said I can have them next time...when my earmoulds crack or go hard..(I'm thinking, No Melissa, it's going to be so obvious if they mysteriously crack very soon!).

25 and I ordered pink XD

50+ and had worn blue & white swirls...to go with my blue BTEs.

Unfortunately, my new molds are made of a material that doesn't come in colors, so I have clear molds and am back to wearing beads on the tubing. The good news, according to my audi, is that the molds should last a lot longer than the other ones.

I know basically how to change tubing, the only thing I don't know how to do/have tools to do is to bend the tubing to fit. Once when I needed temporary tubing I went to the room and the teacher wasn't there, but a substitute who tried to help me, but we weren't sure about the bending.
That's interesting, thanks.

There is tubing that is already bent and pre ready to be pulled through the mold.

Thanks OTP, I didn't realize that. Perhaps we didn't find the right tubing in my teacher's classroom.

And to add on... I'm excited- I'm supposed to get my new white molds soon :D
I'm not looking to hide them, I just think it would be cool, especially if they're a very bright white. :D

Back