My Jack Russell Terrier, Elli; I taught her Sign!

Dory

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvixu02sC4]YouTube - Elli Knows Sign[/ame]

My Pekingese is deaf too. I got him recently after he had been in an abusive home for a year. He is five years old.

I don't think he makes noise as I noticed your captions said your dog speaks? Not a deaf dog?

My Joey is learning ASL and he is a quick learner. He seems to soak up as much as I can think to teach.

My Pekingese is deaf too. I got him recently after he had been in an abusive home for a year. He is five years old.

I don't think he makes noise as I noticed your captions said your dog speaks? Not a deaf dog?

My Joey is learning ASL and he is a quick learner. He seems to soak up as much as I can think to teach.

I didn't know Joey is deaf. Were you searching for a deaf pet or you just happened on Joey?

I didn't know Joey is deaf. Were you searching for a deaf pet or you just happened on Joey?

I went because a ShihTzu was advertised at the rescue league, and thought it would fit with our two dogs after the cat died.

We happened upon Joey, and it is like a match made in heaven. I always try for deaf pets if I know about them, but he was not advertised, he had been beaten and starved, and his left front leg and left hip broken. But his first four years must have been great because he is truly wonderful.

Everyone who meets him says he is the sweetest, nicest dog they have ever met.

I should add he is 5 and he was in an abusive home for only one year.

Our dogs we already had love him too.

112hmw0.jpg

This is Joey on the day we adopted him.

Cute video, very cute dog. Elli and Joey are both very photogenic.

Elli isn't deaf; just me!

I brought Elli home in July 2006. I started taking ASL in August 2006. It was very natural to train my new puppy to recognize ASL. At first, I did both Voice and ASL to teach her "sit". Then, I taught her "speak" and only used sign, no voice. I realized that she learned much quicker when I used only sign.

She is a great help to me. She alerts me like a hearing ear dog. She goes berzerk when someone knocks on the door, but any dog can do that. But she's so smart that she tells me when the mailman drops off the mail and when my iPhone vibrates in the other room. She tells me when my boys are fighting upstairs.

Elli isn't deaf; just me!

I brought Elli home in July 2006. I started taking ASL in August 2006. It was very natural to train my new puppy to recognize ASL. At first, I did both Voice and ASL to teach her "sit". Then, I taught her "speak" and only used sign, no voice. I realized that she learned much quicker when I used only sign.

She is a great help to me. She alerts me like a hearing ear dog. She goes berzerk when someone knocks on the door, but any dog can do that. But she's so smart that she tells me when the mailman drops off the mail and when my iPhone vibrates in the other room. She tells me when my boys are fighting upstairs.

That is neat! My two hearing dogs perform those functions too! Joey and I are just equally oblivious.:lol:

Actually, I stay awake more, so I notice when they tell me the mail is here. Joey values his sleep!

Dogs of all breeds seem to have a sense of when their masters/mistresses are deaf. Some dogs have learned not to bark at all because they seem to understand how useless it would be... thus they would go and put their paw on an arm or leg to say hey... I need something!

Keep working with Elli (and Joey) dogs can build up an amazing vocabulary of signs... my father had taught our family St. Bernard up to about 20 different signs... including sign names for family members.

Awwwwwwwwwwww! What a cutie-patootie!

I hope you mean Joey. He was just regained enough strength to be adopted then.

I think he is much cuter now, but he is curled so tight on the sofa sleeping I can't show you a good picture.

I think your little dog is very cute too.

I flipped Joey over into my lap and took his picture. He didn't wake up, but I think you can see his weight gain and improvement.

j7umwk.jpg

Dogs of all breeds seem to have a sense of when their masters/mistresses are deaf. Some dogs have learned not to bark at all because they seem to understand how useless it would be... thus they would go and put their paw on an arm or leg to say hey... I need something!

Keep working with Elli (and Joey) dogs can build up an amazing vocabulary of signs... my father had taught our family St. Bernard up to about 20 different signs... including sign names for family members.

I have had a deaf ferret, and a deaf Lhasa Apso before, they were good at learning sign too.

Awww..

Your dog is very intelligent to pick up sign language commands very quickly.

What an amazingly cute dog! ;) Thanks for sharing this video with us, Dory

I have a Basenji mix who picked up on signs very well, despite his otherwise stubborn streak! He does what he wants to do, but when you sign to him he seems to do better.

Cute! My Jack Russell, Tahoe and JRT/Pug (Jug), TinkerBell know what I say too! :)

They know sit, stay, potty, cookie (treats), get off (I use my snap finger whenever I see one of them get on table or whatever they are not supposed to) and friend (shake paw) not sure what else ha

I have a Basenji mix who picked up on signs very well, despite his otherwise stubborn streak! He does what he wants to do, but when you sign to him he seems to do better.

Cute dog!

I use to have a deaf dalmatian in my family when I was growing up. I know that we didn't teach him any tricks but I decided to teach him some tricks when he was like 10 yr old, and he learned very quickly and did a good job. I miss him very much.

Back