My interpretation of ASL to an outsider

Medic18

Reaction score
To start off, I am a photographer at heart and love taking pictures that are out of the box (you will see what I am talking about). So I have a photo that I would like to share with you guys/gals and get you feed back on it.

I was reading about a deaf person that never know about Sign Language and thought they were the only person in the world that could not communicate. But sometime ago, the family packed up and moved the United States where they first learned about Sign Language. They enrolled their child into ASL classes right away.

Then it hit me, what does Sign Language looks like to an outsider that has never seen Sign Language signed flintily. To me, it’s a blurry mess, but once you understand the culture and the language it very beautiful and very artistic. That is just my interpretation and I tried to capture that in a picture. I have been told I should have the person’s body in the shot as well, but I wanted to focus on the hands alone.

Please let me know what you think of it and if you like it or not. Since I am a full hearing ASL student, I do not want to disrespect the deaf culture. So if you find this photo disrespectful, please let me know. I am working on other photos like this one so if you like this one, I will post more later.

By the way, they are my hands and I am signing, “story telling ASL” in the shot. If you want to know more about how I took the shot, I will give you more details later.

ASL%20Signs%20on%202011-11-25%20%23146.jpg

I'm older HOH and really appreciate your picture. As soon as I saw it though, I felt like it brought up what I feel around family especially, when they are all talking together with me feeling completely isolated... the usual. Boo hoo.

Although I have been trying to learn ASL for several years now, I really don't understand fast native sign either.

Your picture does not show face and body language that are at least as important as the individual signs.

From a naive beginner...

podiecat ~ You do bring up a very good point, body language and facial expressions are a very big part of the language and the culture. But finding a way to include those times into the photo and still having it clear is very hard. I left my shutter open for 15 seconds and was moving my hands very slowly. I did not photoshop anything and they are not in layers, it is one shot. But I am working on ways to included them and play around with it. It is still a work in progress.

Thank you very much for the feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed the photo. If more people like my photos, I will start posting more as I take them.

Back