My friend thinks I'm faking it.

Whether Sheri363 " hearing loss increases" in the future with possible "impact on her speaking voice -unknown".
What that impact on her "friend" will entail- is "unknown" .

I made no reference to "cultural Deafness".

aside: I don't recall anyone saying to me-my voice changed after becoming bilateral DEAF-December 2006.

For whos benefit did she make the comment? Yours or hers?

That's a good question Timrawa. Whose benefit huh? Me or hers? I now think it's hers.

Anyway bad news.

First of all, I want to thank you all for your support. Thank you.

We are no longer friends. I'm very distressed and sad about what happened. That comment 'speech sounds disabled' that my friend dropped was as it turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg. I told her the other day that she shouldn't care how I sound like and then she called me stupid for not following up on her suggestions to seek speech therapy. She had launched into a vitriolic tirade about me concerning this and the other issues I brought up here plus other issues I didn't bring up......... I didn't fight back....too stunned and hurt.

I can't handle this anymore.

So I left the friendship. As some of you pointed out:

Originally Posted by Bottesini
Why would you want a friend who makes you feel bad? Drop her and find a decent friend who likes you as you are.

You're right. She was making me feel bad. Stressed out. SO agrees with you.

I'm done with her and her toxic personality. I'm done.

I'm barely hoh, 85 db. straight across on the audiogram. I know some ASL from my deaf school days. There's a local deaf chapter here that I can join.

Hopefully in a few days I'll be ready to turn over a new leaf and move on.

Thank you for being here guys. I appreciate it very much.

Aww, well I'm sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends joining that deaf group you're talking about, and they'll accept you for who you are! Plus, we can't hear how you sound anyways, so we can't tell. =p lol! J/k... A little... =P *hugs*

hi i relate to your situation really well, i too suffer moderate to sever heaing loss, in both ears, i went through main stream school using an fm. i had terrible trouble with friends it for worse for me as time went on, primary school wasnt so bad i had a friend but once she reached the age where they get interested in boys etc she had no time for me at all, dropped me like a fly, i was too much hassle i think. then high school i started hanging out with some kids who went to special unit at school , but there were no heaing impaired or deaf in this school, so even they couldnt comprahend what it was like or include me a bit more, the amount of times i had to explain why i couldnt go to a swimming pool which was showing movie's.. as much as it might be hard you dont need the added stress of dealing with school then a so called mate telling you those things and making you feel worse.

That's a good question Timrawa. Whose benefit huh? Me or hers? I now think it's hers.

Anyway bad news.

First of all, I want to thank you all for your support. Thank you.

We are no longer friends. I'm very distressed and sad about what happened. That comment 'speech sounds disabled' that my friend dropped was as it turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg. I told her the other day that she shouldn't care how I sound like and then she called me stupid for not following up on her suggestions to seek speech therapy. She had launched into a vitriolic tirade about me concerning this and the other issues I brought up here plus other issues I didn't bring up......... I didn't fight back....too stunned and hurt.

I can't handle this anymore.

So I left the friendship. As some of you pointed out:

You're right. She was making me feel bad. Stressed out. SO agrees with you.

I'm done with her and her toxic personality. I'm done.

I'm barely hoh, 85 db. straight across on the audiogram. I know some ASL from my deaf school days. There's a local deaf chapter here that I can join.

Hopefully in a few days I'll be ready to turn over a new leaf and move on.

Thank you for being here guys. I appreciate it very much.

Wow! it sound like your friend was embarrassed about the way you sound
more than anything and that she has some self esteem issues and has to attack other people to feel stronger . I am sorry this happen , but it was for the best. That was so uncalled for calling you stupid , I bet the woman does not have many friends.

Find friends that love who you are, as you are. I guarantee that y0ur friend would not change her own life to please you!

I agree , that ex friend was only concerned about herself. And if anyone was faking it, it was that woman pretending to be a 'good' friend.

look, dont be stupid...this OP is not 'at the verge of "going Deaf -culturally' a fair way of that point yet...

but audiologically, indeed she is at odds with going the slope towards severe hearing loss and deeprer...so please be abit more tactful next time aye??!
What did you expect from DrPhil??? :rifle:

What will happen if your " hearing loss" increases to Profound level ( 90 decibels)-The highlest level till DEAFness? Both ears?

Or you become DEAF?

Do not be dumb. Your comments are so lame and worthless. :roll:

Hearing loss does get "worst" over time for SOME persons Even to DEAFness.

Aside: That is exactly what happened to me and my 2 brothers over almost a 50 year time frame. How many others experience that -unknown

XOEWN.jpg

gif-cat-tail-dumb-482997.gif

What will happen if your " hearing loss" increases to Profound level ( 90 decibels)-The highlest level till DEAFness? Both ears?

Or you become DEAF?

Mmmm well ok. I re-read your post a few times and I'm still puzzled. What are you trying to say? Are you insinuating that when I become entirely deaf, I'll be what? Unable to converse with hearies? Is that it?

Or that all or most of the hearing people that I come in contact with will diss me more often when I become deaf?

Maybe down the road I'll become deaf when I hit that threshold of 90 db which you had so matter-of-factly pointed out. My bad ear is un-aidable...has been since birth. Good ear? Born with 60ish db. Now 85ish. Anyway right now I'm doing ok. Later? Who knows! You don't know either.

Ok. Anyway drphil, what are you trying to say? Are you also implying that all deaf accents do in fact sound 'disabled'?? Not to me they don't! People say I sound British lol! Go figure!

Last edited:
Mmmm well ok. I re-read your post a few times and I'm still puzzled. What are you trying to say? Are you insinuating that when I become entirely deaf, I'll be what? Unable to converse with hearies? Is that it?

Or that all or most of the hearing people that I come in contact with will diss me more often when I become deaf?

Maybe down the road I'll become deaf when I hit that threshold of 90 db which you had so matter-of-factly pointed out. My bad ear is un-aidable...has been since birth. Good ear? Born with 60ish db. Now 85ish. Anyway right now I'm doing ok. Later? Who knows! You don't know either.

Ok. Anyway drphil, what are you trying to say? Are you also implying that all deaf accents do in fact sound 'disabled'?? Not to me they're don't! People say I sound British lol! Go figure!

I was if I had a British accent by a guy who is wife is British . LOL! I also been told it sound like I have French accent and when I was at a Halloween
years ago a guy thought my accent was sexy . He wanted to go out with me but I had no idea what the guy looked like as he was dressed as a mummy!
I had a quite a few people ask me "where are you from?"

I was if I had a British accent by a guy who is wife is British . LOL! I also been told it sound like I have French accent and when I was at a Halloween
years ago a guy thought my accent was sexy . He wanted to go out with me but I had no idea what the guy looked like as he was dressed as a mummy!
I had a quite a few people ask me "where are you from?"

Yeah same here! They too ask me where I'm from! I would usually reply that I'm from Ontario! I let them think that I'm speaking with some obscure Ontario dialect. :)

Yeah same here! They too ask me where I'm from! I would usually reply that I'm from Ontario! I let them think that I'm speaking with some obscure Ontario dialect. :)

A woman asked me " where are you from? and I said " From my mother!"
The woman LOL!

Sheri 363- If I read correctly-"deaf tone speaking" is a "problem". aside: the term "deaf accent" to me is meaningless from my experieince-to date. Whether this is an effect of having a Hearing loss for extended time my life-unknown? Not unduly concerned to date of that "possibility".

I only suggested what will "happen" if you have a "greater loss in the future" Profound -90 db-which is the highest level before DEAFness. Would that "alter " your speaking voice"? What would "that" effect on your friends entail?

Aside: to date my voice has not changed since becoming bilateral DEAF-December 2006.

If in the future you become DEAF-then how you will have " to deal" with that fact? How- is "up to you". Conisder a Cochlear Implant- if suitable, use ASL. go "voice off"?

Potential future decision to be made by you.

Sheri 363- If I read correctly-"deaf tone speaking" is a "problem". aside: the term "deaf accent" to me is meaningless from my experieince-to date. Whether this is an effect of having a Hearing loss for extended time my life-unknown? Not unduly concerned to date of that "possibility".

I only suggested what will "happen" if you have a "greater loss in the future" Profound -90 db-which is the highest level before DEAFness. Would that "alter " your speaking voice"? What would "that" effect on your friends entail?

Aside: to date my voice has not changed since becoming bilateral DEAF-December 2006.

If in the future you become DEAF-then how you will have " to deal" with that fact? How- is "up to you". Conisder a Cochlear Implant- if suitable, use ASL. go "voice off"?

Potential future decision to be made by you.

huh dunno what do you talk about think! -.- it is very serious

As a generalization: "most people think before they speak".
Reality?

Wirelessly posted

Wow I think that's horrible. sorry but she's not your friend. even if you were faking it what would be your reason?

Back