My deaf cat? Really?

cutest cat :lol:

White cats with blue eyes are more likely to be deaf (same with dogs)

There is a bread of cat that is white with Blue eyes but they got the blue eye gene from the siamese to not get the deaf gene.

I forget the name of the breed grrr

White cats with blue eyes are more likely to be deaf (same with dogs)

There is a bread of cat that is white with Blue eyes but they got the blue eye gene from the siamese to not get the deaf gene.

I forget the name of the breed grrr

Interesting. Never knew this.

I have never heard that blue eye deafness correlation, in the animal world. I have a blue eyed cat he hears fine, just pretends not to sometimes. Try surprising your cat, by clapping loudly when he does not suspect you coming. There are different breads that I have seen with blue eyes, especially Huskies, all hearing. Good luck with the kitties. That grey one is just too cute.

I have never heard that blue eye deafness correlation, in the animal world. I have a blue eyed cat he hears fine, just pretends not to sometimes. Try surprising your cat, by clapping loudly when he does not suspect you coming. There are different breads that I have seen with blue eyes, especially Huskies, all hearing. Good luck with the kitties. That grey one is just too cute.

Blue eyed white cats are more likely to be deaf.

White cats with blue eyes are more likely to be deaf, however if the cat has any color (you mentioned smokey grey), then it is far less likely to be deaf. The reason they are deaf has something to do with the hairs being white, so if it is a van (very lightly marked) it may be deaf in both or one or neither eyes. Less likely if there is a little color on the ears.

Well, the best solution to see if this cat is deaf or not. Just hold the Magnum 45 inches away from the back of the head, pointed upward, then fire it.

Then you'll know....

There is an established link between the white coat color, blue eyes and deafness. The tapetum lucidum is generated from the same stem cells as melanocytes (pigment cells). The blue eyes in a piebald or epistatic white cat indicates a lack of tapetum. Deafness is caused by an absence of a cell layer in the inner ear that originates from the same stem cells as well. In odd-eyed white cats, the ear on the blue-eyed side may be deaf, but the one on the orange-eyed side usually has normal hearing. Not all blue-eyed whites will be deaf since there are several different genes causing the same physical attributes (whiteness, blue-eyedness) so it all depends on the cat's genotype (its genetic make-up) not its phenotype (its physical appearance).

White Cats, Eye Colours and Deafness

From the same site - 60-80% of white cats with one or two blue eyes

Well, the best solution to see if this cat is deaf or not. Just hold the Magnum 45 inches away from the back of the head, pointed upward, then fire it.

Then you'll know....

:giggle:

I do not know if daughter is colour blind but look at kitty's eyes and they look green to me. Not blue at all.:hmm:

But, he does not seem to respond to some noises. Probably hard of hearing. He definitely do not meow. My son say he 'squeak' like plastic squeaky toy.

white cats with blue eyes are generally deaf. I had an albino white cat with blue eyes and she was deaf. Was very interesting! When we first brought her home (she was abandoned/stray), we wondered why she never reacted to our other cat's hisses and yowls. After a visit to the vet for a health checkup (to make sure she was healthy), we were told she was deaf. I thought it was quite awesome having a deaf cat. She did go outside, but I was leery of it because she couldn't hear, but she was always fine. And her meows were more like MOW's.

It's like that youtube of guy who post, "My child is deaf now." So many comments think he was serious! :roll: Live a little.

I believe if you log in to Crackbook you can see these.

Sophie:
35342_10150251609575241_776520240_13751081_6814622_n.jpg

Chester:
35342_10150251609545241_776520240_13751080_5771089_n.jpg

I don't have any recent ones. These were just after adoption. They are both mature now and he is one big fluffy son of a gun?

ETA: Chester's eyes are very blue now. <dunno>

Oh my GoD!! Your cat Sophie looks just like my baby Luke...he is gonna be 11 months old now and he's super energetic. LOL He plays his own version of football with my bf. He jumps high up and catches the ball hehehe here's a pic of him :D

Attachments

• DSC_0426 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0426 - Copy.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7
Oh my GoD!! Your cat Sophie looks just like my baby Luke...he is gonna be 11 months old now and he's super energetic. LOL He plays his own version of football with my bf. He jumps high up and catches the ball hehehe here's a pic of him :D

That is *SO* cute! My Sophie, or Sophia as I generally call her, is *SO* incredibly needy and demanding. My boy cat, whose eyes seem to change colour right in front of you, and, no, I'm not doing drugs, is meek and mild and squeeks.

Back