my daughters CI activation is tomorrow

Did you know that back in the day HAs were demonized? The C=I debate is still pretty active.....but it does seem like it's getting more and more accepted every day. If she maxed out on her hearing aids......AWESOME!!!! She has the CI as an option. She also has an advantage b/c she had access to sound as a baby....You did the right thing 100%

LOL hearing aids are demonzied????? I can remember those times when my 1st aid went outta whack with the crackling sounds....

LOL hearing aids are demonzied????? I can remember those times when my 1st aid went outta whack with the crackling sounds....

I have been curious about that as well as I've seen DD has mentioned that a number of times but I've never heard or read that anywhere else...

I have been curious about that as well as I've seen DD has mentioned that a number of times but I've never heard or read that anywhere else...

That is b/c that belief has died out completely. It was common in older generations, and was still somewhat around in older people around the time I was born. One of my friends(my age early 30s) said that her mother talked with Deaf people who were VERY VERY anti-HA.
Back when hearing aids were first introduced a LOT of Deaf adults were against them. A LOT. But hearing aids became a hell of a lot more accepted, and are very much accepted. Just the way CIs will become accepted in Deaf culture!

she is 3 and way implanted last month. recently, i learned that the deaf community is very against this.... why?

It is none of the deaf community's business how you want to raise your child. Like religion, each community has its own opinion.

So, how did the activation go?

I would say here in the UK deaf people who are 'truly deaf' believe when people get CIs, they are going against the deaf community and will bring shame to them.

There was a program earlier this year about a well known actor who one of her twins is going deaf. She had a program about her finding out about CIs and she met deaf people to talk about CIs and they were very against it and said it was a form of abuse to implant her 6 year old with a CI.

I think it's completely wrong to be against it but there are some people who really hate it.

It is none of the deaf community's business how you want to raise your child. Like religion, each community has its own opinion.

So, how did the activation go?

Sorry, I disagree 100%!
This is a quote from Facebook: "If one accepts that women have more insight into what is and is not sexist because sexism impacts their lives while men are taught to be unaware of sexism, men have to pay attention to women on the issue of sexism. Men aren't being asked not to have an opinion, or to sit down and shut up. Men are being asked to submit themselves to those who have greater expertise: women."
Replace women with dhh people and sexism with audism there you have it!

Back