My classes, my stories.

Stakie

Reaction score
Figured this was the best place to post about it. If this is not the right place, I apologize.

So, most people know I am HoH, and started loosing my hearing early. (When I was in high school.)

I do not use ASL in the regular sense I suppose, but SEE or PSE. But mostly oral. I moved from my hometown a few years ago, where there was a rich deaf culture to another place with a rich deaf culture.

I decided to take classes, not just for me but my fiance decided to take classes with/ for me as well. (I am so happy about that!)

We all know about dialects (or at least I would hope so!) but I never knew how heavily different the signs were from where I lived to where I moved to until I started taking classes again.

I seem to use more formal words than the people of my area, and even some completely and utterly different. I found it fascinating. (I love accents!) And I am def. witnessing one, haha. Except I am the one with the accent this time!

I notice that there are different ASL dialects, but of course there are different dialects nation wide when you go to different towns, cities or states. :) A good friend of mine is from California and some of her signs are different at times. Nothing major, but just little things you notice. :)

My first class was very strange. Common words were signed very different, even the sign for God. It was strange, yet very refreshing.

Back