My ASL Report

dorothy5664

Reaction score
I have a report to do for my ASL class. I am going to try to attach the slides as jpegs even though it is a PowerPoint.

These are just a few notes to go with the slides.

Slide 2 addresses the fact that in years past it wasn't uncommon for the Deaf to be institutionalized.

Slide 3 are facts

Slide 4 is about archaic medical theories

Slide 5 are some treatments that were used

Slide 6 A little about Alexander Graham Bell

Slide 7 someone who had similar beliefs

Slide 8 is about some successful Deaf people

Slide 9 is about some progress

Slide 10 is where the Deaf can still go

Now I may be assuming this, but in doing my research, I think I developed a better understanding of why it is so important for the Deaf Community to be acknowledged almost as their own culture and more so that they have a legitimate, working language that allows them to communicate. This is one of the aspects that I want to share with my classmates.

Wish I could find a Smily for nervous.

This is GREAT!!!
Very informative!
I didnt know about Alexander Graham Bell

Thank you Deafteen90 and neither did I. His father actually taught in a deaf school and AGB knew sign language. However, his wife was from an affluent family who frowned upon its use. If he lapsed into using sign, his wife would remind him not to. I wonder if his philosophies regarding the status of the Deaf Community would have been different if her feelings had been different.

Thank you Deafteen90 and neither did I. His father actually taught in a deaf school and AGB knew sign language. However, his wife was from an affluent family who frowned upon its use. If he lapsed into using sign, his wife would remind him not to. I wonder if his philosophies regarding the status of the Deaf Community would have been different if her feelings had been different.

I'm suprised that you didn't mentioned about AGB's impact of deaf education at the Milan Conference of 1880.

Byrdie,

I was thinking of adding it, but was trying to limit the amount of information I was throwing at my classmates. However, I agree that it is an important part of Deaf History. I will reevaluate my information, though, and plug it in. Thanks for the input.

Back