My ASL Journal

JoshFL

Reaction score
I have an introduction post, but as this will be my ongoing journal of my day to day learning of ASL and experiences at silent social events, I figure it's best to have an introduction here as well.

My name is Josh, I'm 21(for another month) and i'm from Tampa, Florida.
I have wanted to learn ASL since 3rd grade when I met a deaf girl in school and was mesmerized by her signing. Since then I have had reoccuring dreams about meeting deaf people, and each time as I watch their hands move gracefully I feel an overwhelming sadness from lack of understanding. Then recently, I was feeling that I needed to use my free time to do something more constructive. So I finally have decided to throw myself into learning the language and culture. Luckily enough in Tampa there are weekly social meetings, And I have already registered for next years 34th annual Worlds Largest Silent Weekend in Orlando.

As of now I have been practicing ASL for a week, and feel pretty good about my road so far. I have completed the first 2 lessons on Lifeprint and practice all of it frequently(I am trying hard not to push myself through the lessons too fast, as to retain all that I learn.)

I am an open book, Any questions, comments, etc. feel free.

Wirelessly posted

Until you find a pretty hearing girl who mesmerizes you and thinks sign language is silly. If you are still here on this thread in a year or so, maybe then I will believe you.

Constructive criticism welcomed as well, no matter how hostile. I understand your skepticism. I'm sure you've seen your fair share of similar posts that were doomed before they began, and nothing I can say will change that, so we will let time speak for itself, and hopefully be civil in the process.

Also a note: This threads purpose is to give me an outlet for my experiences, a motivation tool, I will try my best to keep it actively updated.

Wirelessly posted

JoshFL said:
Constructive criticism welcomed as well, no matter how hostile. I understand your skepticism. I'm sure you've seen your fair share of similar posts that were doomed before they began, and nothing I can say will change that, so we will let time speak for itself, and hopefully be civil in the process.

I'm not being hostile, just a realist. :)

Wirelessly posted

I'm not being hostile, just a realist. :)

There's a difference between realism and cynicism. I've dated plenty of gorgeous, magnificent women. This has nothing to do with the girl, that part of my story is not about the sex of the person who first inspired the journey, but the fact that it was an early realization that I've neglected for years. Its all part of my story, which is what this thread is about. I hope one day its half as inspiring as some of those I've read here already.

Can you just go to the ASL class so that you can sign properly and correct way to sign? I know it has nothing to do with the girl. You are interest in learning how to sign like Lifeprint but that is not the way to go. Go to the ASL class, please.

That way you can sign with the deaf community or at Deaf event where you understand them better and to sign with them better. They will accept you with open arms if you sign properly. We don't use our voice when we sign because our voices are funny and loud. Anyway, we are comfortable signing like as if you as hearing person are comfortable talking to another hearing person. Get it.

EDITED: We are being blunt with you. Most hearing people don't believe us when we tried to explain. So we had to say up front to any hearing person when they are interest in our deaf perspective. We may be hostile, but we are not. You are not facing reality or true fact. That is why many hearing people fight with us about many of our deaf perspective and so is Hard Of Hearing perspective, too.

Your ASL journal should be in your blog here, not a public thread.

Today i started lessons at asl.tc instead of lifeprint. Still done by bill vicars but expanded upon. I wish I had time to take a class but unfortunatly there aren't any available that meet my time restrictions currently. I am enjoying every bit of my learning experience thus far. My first attempt at a social event ill be october 5th, and I'm pretty anxious. Hopefully it will go well.

Back