Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No! This is not helpful!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh, I don't really care.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

senorrice

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to ask for the opinion on a conceptual idea of listening to music for deaf people. For my engineering project, I would like to fabricate a device that converts the frequency in music into something physical like vibrations. So depending on how loud the music is, also accounting for the length of each frequency, it would be converted into vibrations through multiple motors around a headband, or a wristband (not sure) and by doing this, it can help stimulate what music would "feel" like. So it is not really listening to it, but more of an idea to feel the music. My main goal is to help deaf people enjoy music better and to aid as a therapeutic device.

With that being said, what would be your opinion on this device? Would it be a helpful thing, or etc?

Hello, I wanted to ask for the opinion on a conceptual idea of listening to music for deaf people. For my engineering project, I would like to fabricate a device that converts the frequency in music into something physical like vibrations. So depending on how loud the music is, also accounting for the length of each frequency, it would be converted into vibrations through multiple motors around a headband, or a wristband (not sure) and by doing this, it can help stimulate what music would "feel" like. So it is not really listening to it, but more of an idea to feel the music. My main goal is to help deaf people enjoy music better and to aid as a therapeutic device.

With that being said, what would be your opinion on this device? Would it be a helpful thing, or etc?
Oh, why don't you just hit me over the head with a rubber hammer at different intervals?

It would accomplish the same thing.

Lol XD
It doesn't necessarily have to be on the head. I would integrate a feature to turn down the intensity of the vibration, like a volume knob.

Deaf people already have their own ways of enjoying music, whether by feeling vibrations, visual aspects (lighted displays like the one done in Mr. Holland's Opus when the dad/music teacher did a music show at the deaf school with lights), actually hearing/listening to it, etc. If a Deaf person really wants to enjoy music, he/she will figure out a way.

I myself wouldn't use something like what you are thinking of. I have cochlear implants and use that to listen to music, and even before implants, I was able to listen to music and enjoy it as is.

I've always thought of the clubs having bright neon colored walls on the dance floor. Same with the floor changing color or showing a design....perhaps have music vibrations bounce off the feet giving people a great feel for the music......Music is just not audio...it can be visual.....

I believe this "Jade" person came up with something similar. It was a vest that would vibrate when connected to a music device, but I don't think it ever took off.

Would be cool to see what you can come up with, senorrice. Good luck!

Back