Movie Captioning

TiaraPrincess

Reaction score
How do I found out what areas are providing captioning to the hoh/deaf audience? What are some websites you look up for updated captioned movies? If you have seen captioning in movies, are they open-captioned or do you have to request the rear-window or whatever it is called?

I went to Disney World once. They had captioning where they gave me a thingy that stood by the side rows. It was a special glass, and the reflection was picking up words from the back of the theater.

I have only received some movie captioning from my previous VR councelor and school. I never went to them because they were movie cinemas that I am not familiar with and probably far away. I have one that's 10 minutes from where I live, so why bother going down far away?

I was reading the SHHH Newsletter, and they talked about advocacy. There was this lady that encouraged her nearest movie theater to have captioning for hoh/deaf people. I would love to do that, but I thought that movie theaters will only do that if there is a fair amount of hoh/deaf folks needing that service.

Watchoo know 'bout it?

http://insightcinema.org You can contact this website and have them do the advocacy for you at your local "big city" movie theater.

And check with your local Association for the Deaf's website. Also, some movie theaters already provide their own open-captioned announcements on their film schedules. Google it.

They had captioning where they gave me a thingy that stood by the side rows. It was a special glass, and the reflection was picking up words from the back of the theater.

what about that... i want to know same thing.. how do i find out if theater have that thingy is there website abotu that specificially item?

SpiceHD said:
They had captioning where they gave me a thingy that stood by the side rows. It was a special glass, and the reflection was picking up words from the back of the theater.

what about that... i want to know same thing.. how do i find out if theater have that thingy is there website abotu that specificially item?

that's Open captioned RWC which
stands for "Rear Window Captioning"

My own opinion:
This Open captioned RWC was difficult
for me to watch the actions in the movie
and then look down to read the captions
away from the screen itself thats why
I still prefer the old traditional "Closed captioning"
which shows captions right on the bottom side
of the movie screen which made easier for me
to see both actions and captions
at the same time.

Last edited:
yes but RWC is more common than open caption on tradition way.. at least i think so

I still prefer the old traditional "Closed captioning"
which shows captions right on the bottom side
of the movie screen which made easier for me
to see both actions and captions
at the same time.

I found it okay at Disney World looking from right to the screen left. I guess it depends if you read fast.

I believe we Americans make some things more difficult than it should, even more expensive. Closed-captioning will solve everything. I wished there weren't half arsed people.

Captioned movie theatres are a little harder to find. Me and my boyfriend are going to a movie tomorrow that has captioning. But it is a little far. Like 45 min. Pain. I should complain to the captioning media. Them people are supposed to help with captioning , not discourage it. Whatever. But 1 day I would like to see all movie theatres captioned.

Hey, I signed up for insightcinema.org, and I got my first list of movies. The only one we'll have in the upcoming month is Spongebob! I am hoping I can go. Too bad The Polar Express is too far away. I saw that movie and is very suspensful with the roller coaster of the train. It makes your chest tight about what's going to happen next lol.

I recommend you'll to get on their mailing list.

SpiceHD said:
yes but RWC is more common than open caption on tradition way.. at least i think so

I hear a lot about most RWC movies are on East coast and most open captioned movies are on the West coast..

Back