Motion Sickness w/Hearing Loss

mpinsky

Reaction score
I never really brought this up with my audiologist because my parents don't think it's a huge issue, but when I started losing my hearing at 15, I started getting slight motion sickness. It wasn't until a few years ago I actually put two and two together and thought, "Okay, this may indeed be related."

As I hit the 90 dB loss mark, I noticed that I'll get so motion sick in the car I'll break out into a sweat and pass out. Any tips to avoid this?

Extra Info: I can't sleep unless I'm lying down, so sleeping through the trip doesn't help much. Usually it's worse on people with jerky stops, stick shifts, or on really curvy roads. Straight freeways I'm fine with.

I never really brought this up with my audiologist because my parents don't think it's a huge issue, but when I started losing my hearing at 15, I started getting slight motion sickness. It wasn't until a few years ago I actually put two and two together and thought, "Okay, this may indeed be related."

As I hit the 90 dB loss mark, I noticed that I'll get so motion sick in the car I'll break out into a sweat and pass out. Any tips to avoid this?

Extra Info: I can't sleep unless I'm lying down, so sleeping through the trip doesn't help much. Usually it's worse on people with jerky stops, stick shifts, or on really curvy roads. Straight freeways I'm fine with.

If you look at the Cochlea, you will see that the hearing center and the balance center is really all the same basic design and all interconnected. So, whatever is causing the hearing loss can also impact the balance sense. I went through a bunch of tests a few years ago for my dizzyness and the conclusion was that I have a measurable loss of balance in each ear. And... they are not identical. So, my left ear is compensating for my loss in balance on one axis, and my right is compensating for my loss in the left ear for another axis.

so, if something is impacting your hearing, it makes sense that is can also impact the balance. Note, this is not true for ALL types of hearing losses, just the ones that involve the Cochlea.

As I lost my hearing more and more, I never experienced motion sickness. I still, after having nothing in my ear, do not experience motion sickness and I can sleep in most any position. Different for most people I guess.

Is your doctor a good ENT? If not, please ask to see one. Describe your problem so that potential problems can be averted or repaired.
Hope its nothing, but much better to be safe than sorry. Dizziness is no fun!

I'd advise you to change your diet and start eating healthy unprocessed foods. I'd also get rid of any non-stick cookware in the house(it can kill a canary), IMO.

I've gone through Meniere’s and I can tell you eating more healthy has helped and I haven't been dizzy for years now.

Back