Mother's fury as children as young as EIGHT are being offered free condoms

sara1981

Reaction score
Mother's fury as children as young as EIGHT are being offered free condoms
Mother's fury as children as young as EIGHT are being offered free condoms | Mail Online

Charity youth workers have been criticised after offering free condoms to children as young as eight who were playing in a park.

Angry mother Samantha Fuller says her 13-year-old daughter was given the contraceptives - but she also claims her eight-year-old nephew was asked if he wanted some.

Mrs Fuller, who found the condoms in her daughter's bedroom, says Hull-based charity Cornerhouse is effectively encouraging under-age sex and undermining her role as a parent.

The taxpayer-funded organisation has confirmed workers give contraceptives to children, but only to those over 13.

Mrs Fuller, of Beverley, East Yorkshire, said: 'My daughter's sexual health is my responsibility, it's not that of a stranger giving out condoms.

'I feel she is being encouraged to have sex and she is being encouraged to be deceitful. It's not right. I was fuming when I found out.'

Mrs Fuller said she was in favour of sex education but wanted parents to know their children were being handed condoms on the street.

She said: 'This person said, "We are handing out free condoms if you are interested." My nephew, who is eight, was offered them at the park.'

The mother insisted her daughter was not sexually active and took the contraceptives 'for a laugh'.

She added: 'She's my daughter, she's not the Government's daughter, the council's daughter or the youth centre's daughter.

'They will not care about my daughter if anything happens, it's my responsibility.'

Cornerhouse works in 'all aspects of sexual health, including HIV/AIDS, family planning and prevention of sexual transmitted infections'. It offers education, training, guidance and support.

Chief executive Tish Lamb was not available for comment yesterday, but she told the local newspaper: 'The idea of street-based projects is to enable people who maybe don't have access to mainstream services having access to support, advice and anything they might need to know about sexual well-being.'

The organisation receives most of its £390,000 annual income in the form of publicly funded grants from organisations such as the local council and NHS trust.

The initiative to hand out the contraceptives - which echoes recent schemes to give free condoms to children in schools - was last night condemned by Norman Wells of the Family Education Trust.

He said: 'There is no justification for the investment of public funds in this aggressive and intrusive scheme. Parents are quite right to be appalled.

'There is no question that giving out contraceptives to young people gives them the green light to experiment sexually and will encourage some of them to become sexually active when they would not otherwise have done so.'

But Jackie Brewis, East Riding of Yorkshire Council's Youth Service Manager, backed the scheme.

She said: 'While also encouraging young people to delay sex and speak to their parents and carers, we have a responsibility to offer them confidential advice and support with the aim to reduce teenage pregnancy.'

Hull has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the country.

I don't understand why people get so upset when their kids are offered free condoms. If they have taught abstinence only to their kids and assume that is what the kids will do, well then they have some condoms sitting around at home that won't be used. If they've taught that if you're going to have sex, use protection, the kid now has free protection and maybe the parents won't be raising a baby as they head to retirement.

My (hypothetical) 8 year old is damn well going to know what a condom is and how it is used. Some may think that is too young, but you have 11 year olds going out and getting pregnant. If my kid got horny and decided to experiment one afternoon with a friend, I'd rather find a used condom than a positive pregnancy test. By no means am I condoning this sexual behavior, they are far too young to understand the emotional ramifications, and probably the physical risks don't seem real to them. "Oh, those gross weeping sores in the sex ed book will never happen to me! I'm a clean, good person, I'll be just fine" is what will probably go through their heads, because they are kids. To me, it's just like making sure your child wears a helmet before they go rollerblading. If kids want sex, they will have sex, and I'm going to be handing out condoms so that all the purple headed love warriors can have their own helmets.

Personally, I think 8 years old is too young UNLESS the child was very mature and developed....and NO, I would not want someone else giving my child condoms, that is my job!...2 of my boys have condoms in their wallets (age 18 & 15). My 13 yr. old does not....but his birthday is coming up, and he too will be getting one for his wallet.

Just becuz some parents are not responsible, does not mean that all parents are that way....So if somebody gave my child a condom, I would tell that person where to stick it! Right where the sun don't shine!

8 YO boys would make water balloons out of them. I can envision my kid doing that. lol

They should be arrested for handing condoms to ppl as young as 8 yrs of age.

OK i lived in foster care and have meet 9 and 10 year old sex workers living in secure (lock up) teenage girls home so giving 8 year old condoms is responsible.

Get a clue

i don't understand why people get so upset when their kids are offered free condoms. If they have taught abstinence only to their kids and assume that is what the kids will do, well then they have some condoms sitting around at home that won't be used. If they've taught that if you're going to have sex, use protection, the kid now has free protection and maybe the parents won't be raising a baby as they head to retirement.

My (hypothetical) 8 year old is damn well going to know what a condom is and how it is used. Some may think that is too young, but you have 11 year olds going out and getting pregnant. If my kid got horny and decided to experiment one afternoon with a friend, i'd rather find a used condom than a positive pregnancy test. By no means am i condoning this sexual behavior, they are far too young to understand the emotional ramifications, and probably the physical risks don't seem real to them. "oh, those gross weeping sores in the sex ed book will never happen to me! I'm a clean, good person, i'll be just fine" is what will probably go through their heads, because they are kids. To me, it's just like making sure your child wears a helmet before they go rollerblading. If kids want sex, they will have sex, and i'm going to be handing out condoms so that all the purple headed love warriors so your point is because kids are going to use drugs anyhow the dealers should be allow to pass out free cig/weed/booze or is your point "if my kid is going to have sex, i would rather he/she have it at home than outside somewhere." samething to say "if my kid is going to use drugs, i would rather he/she did the stuff at home rather than outside somewhere," makes no logic that anyone should even think to provide kids with an item that is harmful for them. Just sit the kid down for a good talking and dont use the tired old excuse: "they are going to do it anyhow!"
can have their own helmets.

xxxx

Back