Mother sent bill for cleaning son's blood off the street after accident!

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
:(

Mom given bill to clean street after son killed by illegal immigrant driving drunk

Published June 25, 2012

FoxNews.com

GREENVILLE, SC – A grieving mother told a South Carolina court she was slapped with several bills, including one to clean the street after her son was killed by a drunken driver last year.

Loretta Robinson spoke on June 19 of the emotional and financial toll her son Justin Walker's death had on her as the driver Anna Gonzales, who is an illegal immigrant, pleaded guilty in the case.

Robinson told the judge she has been unable to work due to the emotional impact of her son's death, and can't pay the bills she keeps receiving from the accident even though her son was not at fault, WYFF reports.

"I had to pay to have the vehicle towed," she said according to WYFF. "I had to pay for the vehicle removed and to clean up the street from Justin's blood on the ground."

Robinson said the $50 bill to clean the street stung the most.

"First of all, having to open the mail and look at the charge to the deceased, Justin Darryl Walker -- the deceased! It's just a hard thing to deal with in the context of your child," she said according to WYFF.

Robinson says she doesn't expect to get any money from Gonzales. The state's victim assistance fund has provided some money, but it primarily covers funeral, medical and counseling expenses.

Gonzales, an illegal immigrant who didn't have a South Carolina driver's license, was sentenced to 17 years in prison.
Mom given bill to clean street after son killed by illegal immigrant driving drunk | Fox News

What sort of people are running that state? My bf is from Spartanburg, among some "interesting" things he tells me about, but that article really is sad and crazy.

Well, I'll be damned!...This is outrageous and I would make damn sure something was done about it. Hire a lawyer, and I would not pay one red cent towards this bill.

She also had this bill:

"Robinson also paid to have the wrecked car stored for months in case there was a trial."

It's outrageous. The bills should have never been sent to her but to the guilty driver, who had been living illegally in SC for 12 years.

wow what a cold blood state that is. I think she should sue the city or the state.

wow what a cold blood state that is. I think she should sue the city or the state.
The state didn't send her the bills.

The drunk driver should pay the bills.

Of course, the illegal alien shouldn't have been allowed to stay in SC in the first place, much less be driving a car.

Well, I'll be damned!...This is outrageous and I would make damn sure something was done about it. Hire a lawyer, and I would not pay one red cent towards this bill.
hire a lawyer for several hundred dollars rather than pay $50?

The mother should get in touch with her local representative and have that person intervene with the various agencies. There is no charge for that service.

In my opinion, all the bills should have been sent first to the other driver who was at fault. If that driver didn't have insurance, then the accident related costs should have been covered by the victim's car insurance. If that didn't cover it, then the only reason the mom should have gotten a bill would be if it was her car that her son was driving. Otherwise, if it was billed to her son's name, unless she had signed papers saying that she would cover all his indebtedness while he was alive, she's not responsible for the bills.

The $50 clean up bill should have never gone to her address. The clean up was the result of the drunk driver's actions. Whomever provided the clean up service should have sent it to the other driver, or just claim it as a loss. They can still go after the guilty driver; even in prison the prisoners can earn small amounts of money, and she can pay from that fund. It might take a long time but I believe it would be a meaningful debt for her to pay.

I searched but I couldn't find who actually sent the clean up bill. The towing service? The fire engine company? The city? DOT? :dunno:

Oh not surprised, I hate drunk drivers, even if they are citizen, legal or illegal immigrant.

It already happened in CA for many years, and AL is very bad too.

Back