Mother of LDA Daughter

MoniDew

Reaction score
Hello all! New here and the mother of a late-deafened adult daughter. When we realized that she was gradually going deaf, we made a mutual family decision to begin identifying ourselves as a deaf family. (My father & grandfather were both hard of hearing by my age, I have some minor hearing loss, my daughter is going deaf, and 3 of my grandchildren have various levels of hearing issues.)

Since this issue was never addressed by previous generations, we decided to take it up ourselves and for all successive generations. We all started taking sign language classes together immediately, since we don't know how much time we have left until she's completely deaf. My daughter's children are also learning sign. We are all in agreement that we want to be members of deaf culture as much as we can - and as much as we are accepted (most members of our family are hearies/talkies)

Personally, I would like to pursue interpreter training (hopefully medical). This is a dream at this point, of course, since I'm only in "sign II". But, I would love to keep going as far as I can. At the age of 50, I MUST BE DREAMING, but I would love to try! :laugh2:

We have loved our journey together, so far, and have LOVED getting to know so many new deaf friends through silent coffees and silent dinners in our town. I hope to make many more deaf friends here, too.

Hi there!
I just joined also, but wanted to commend the support you are giving your daughter. There is a woman in my ASL classes (I'm a student in an ITP program) who was late-deafened and taking ASL while her family continues an entirely hearing lifestyle. She is often frustrated, so I am sure your daughter will appreciate the effort on your part!

As far as going through an ITP, I think it's a wonderful idea! It's never too late to learn new things and whether or not you choose to use it professionally, you will feel greatly rewarded in the end.

Good luck!

Personally, I would like to pursue interpreter training (hopefully medical). This is a dream at this point, of course, since I'm only in "sign II". But, I would love to keep going as far as I can. At the age of 50, I MUST BE DREAMING, but I would love to try! :laugh2:

Dreaming?! No way!! I'll be 50 in April and have just started the Interpreter program at college, (which will probably take me 3 1/2 years to get my Associates degree, going part-time). Age has nothing to do with it! And how wonderful of your whole family to take charge like that and work on this together! God Bless you!

Wow!!! I have to give you rounds and rounds of applause for doing this for your daughter.

Both my brother and I were born deaf and nobody in the family ever learned ASL so we get left out a lot although I have good oral skills.

My mom did try to take some classes but it never panned out. It is hard watching my family members treat my brother like the black sheep because he has no oral skills. Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing you around here!

Welcome! Your story is awesome :) I'm curious to know how you encountered Deaf culture and ASL. You must live either in California or on the East coast :D

:welcome: Monidew.

I really applaude you and your family members that are taking up ASL.

I hope you succeed in you interpreting courses.

Great to know you are beginning to grow a strong deaf family. Which is overdue!

Wow... I'm very impressed. How old's your daughter? Is she adjusting well to losing her hearing? I've noticed that a lot of late deafened young folks tend to really enjoy deaf culture. It's great you came here!

and 3 of my grandchildren have various levels of hearing issues.)
Oh wow.......that's even better!!!! How old are your grandchildren? What state are you in? The grandkids could attend schools/programs for the deaf or get dhh intervention, so they can learn ASL even more quickly! There's a LOT of stuff out there for kids who want to learn Sign!

Welcome! Your story is awesome :) I'm curious to know how you encountered Deaf culture and ASL. You must live either in California or on the East coast :D

I live in the state of Oklahoma! (which, as far as I know, is neither on the west nor the east coast...:laugh2:)

We were introduced to ASL by Tulsa Speech and Hearing Association. They are a non-profit, United Way agency. My daughter found them through her audiologist's recommendation. They were wonderful in hooking us up with an ASL teacher who is my daughter's age. He was the first deaf person we ever met and was he ever a great first experience. Get a load of this:

Our teacher has been profoundly deaf since the age of 3 1/2, when he lost his hearing due to bacterial meningitis. He was raised hearing, and in mainstream schools until he went to GRADUATE SCHOOL at RIT in Rochester, NY. He is now a practicing therapist with a master's degree in psychology. But that doesn't keep him busy enough, so he teaches ASL at night, too. :D

HOW'S THAT FOR AN EXAMPLE OF SUCCESS!!!! (He WOWS us all the time!)

His master's thesis was in interpreting for the deaf/blind. He was blindfolded for three full days as an immersion experience! (That's when we learned the sign for "scared" because he was making it while relating this story to us! LOL!)

I really don't think we admire him enough! How about you?!

Wow... I'm very impressed. How old's your daughter? Is she adjusting well to losing her hearing? I've noticed that a lot of late deafened young folks tend to really enjoy deaf culture. It's great you came here!

My daughter is 28. She seems to be taking it in about as good spirits as one could. We all are really enjoying this process and embracing deaf culture/community/people. I'm SO GLAD I came here too! Thank you!

Oh wow.......that's even better!!!! How old are your grandchildren? What state are you in? The grandkids could attend schools/programs for the deaf or get dhh intervention, so they can learn ASL even more quickly! There's a LOT of stuff out there for kids who want to learn Sign!

The three with hearing issues? They are 10, 8, and 5. And they all happen to belong to my son. My son had ear infections during his childhood that would "blow" his eardrums before we even knew he was sick! His children seem to have the same tendency. (And the youngest has a different mother than the other two! So we KNOW it's OUR family's genes and not the mothers'.)

We live in the state of Oklahoma. Please see above for further explanation, as necessary.

As for the education of the grandchildren - that is up to the parents... I gotta be a politically correct grandma and BUTT OUT of it, ya' know?!

:welcome: Monidew.

I really applaude you and your family members that are taking up ASL.

I hope you succeed in you interpreting courses.

Great to know you are beginning to grow a strong deaf family. Which is overdue!

:ty: very much!!

We have loved our journey together, so far, and have LOVED getting to know so many new deaf friends through silent coffees and silent dinners in our town. I hope to make many more deaf friends here, too.

If you have the drive and determination then you will succeed. I'm going to be starting in my local ITP in the fall. I plan on getting at least my bachelors in interpreting. Good luck on your road.

wow awesome story! Happy posting indeed and look forward to seeing u here! Is your daughter joining AD later on too? I am late deafened as well:)

As for the education of the grandchildren - that is up to the parents... I gotta be a politically correct grandma and BUTT OUT of it, ya' know?!
Oh very true. Good point. On the other hand, you could be all " Hey! I found some resources that might be helpful for your kids!" Many parents of dhh kids tend to have a lot of trouble finding really good accomondations and educational programs. Like most mainsttram teachers think that if a kid doesn't respond well to minimal accomondations, they're automaticly one of those kids who are warehoused in the Resource Room.
Do they wear hearing aids or is it that they have fluctuating losses? (ie they can opt for FM devices when they have ear infections, but get along most of the time?)

Welcome! I think it's awesome you're taking signs to talk to your deaf family members. Enjoy your stay. :wave:

Back