Most and Least Obese U.S. States

rockin'robin

Reaction score
New, state-by-state obesity stats were released Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The following lists, derived from an analysis of the report by the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, show the most and least obese states. (Parentheses indicate the percentage of the population considered obese.)

How does your state stack up?

Most Obese:

Most Obese U.S. States

State

% Obese

1. Mississippi 34.9%

2. Louisiana 33.4%

3. West Virginia 32.4%

4. Alabama 32.0%

5. Michigan 31.3%

6. Oklahoma 31.1%

7. Arkansas 30.9%

8. Indiana 30.8%

9. South Carolina 30.8%

10. Kentucky 30.4%

10. Texas 30.4%

Least Obese U.S. States

State

% Obese

1. Colorado 20.7%

2. Hawaii 21.8%

3. Massachussetts 22.7%

4. New Jersey 23.7%

4. Washington, D.C. 23.7%

6. California 23.8%

7. Utah 24.4%

8. New York 24.5%

8. Nevada 24.5%

8. Connecticut 24.5%

Source: Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

Source: Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

I read somewhere a long time ago, that weather plays a part in this. Long winters prevent activity. ?????

I read somewhere a long time ago, that weather plays a part in this. Long winters prevent activity. ?????

Yeah, I do believe so....Florida was not in the ranking...Wondering if they still call the Florida Beaches the "Meat Market"!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:
That theory doesn't seem to fit the list.

It would also imply the Canadian's should be more overweight/obese than americans - which also isn't true.

I recall vaguely California used to be on obese list? I don't think the weather was a factor. I think well-to-do people live in those states could be it.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Frankly all the numbers are scary - the "best" states still have a 20-25% obesity rate? That's 1 in 4 people ... Yikes!!!

due to chicken fry

with probably vegetable oil or canola oil which is bad for them. They're very rancid and unstable. In old South, they used lard.

Burger King and McDonalds used lard to fry french fries before they were pressured to give up the lard sometimes in late 70s, because lard has bad reputation. Julia Child was a lard advocate and was a French cuisine lover. Lard is very popular in French cuisine. Julia Child opt to not eat Mcdonalds french fries, because McDonalds had dropped lard.

Oh, Happy Birthday, Julia Child.

Yeah "long winters" def don't fit that list, those are all southern states on the most obese list. Most of the "least" *cough* are northern states. Without a doubt it's all that Southern cooking, and they don't just fry chicken, they fry every damn thing vegeatables, even pickles.:eek3: My parents are southern, I remember my Grandma making fried chicken with fried squash and zucchini then in the morning we'd have chocolate gravy and bisquits.

I was looking for a casserole recipe one night and I ended up on Deep South Dish. I noticed in the side bar it said something like "Are you think and wrinkely? Have some banana pudding and fluff that out". Oh I just looked again, now it says "praise the Lord and pass the gravy"

Yeah "long winters" def don't fit that list, those are all southern states on the most obese list. Most of the "least" *cough* are northern states. Without a doubt it's all that Southern cooking, and they don't just fry chicken, they fry every damn thing vegeatables, even pickles.:eek3: My parents are southern, I remember my Grandma making fried chicken with fried squash and zucchini then in the morning we'd have chocolate gravy and bisquits.

I was looking for a casserole recipe one night and I ended up on Deep South Dish. I noticed in the side bar it said something like "Are you think and wrinkely? Have some banana pudding and fluff that out". Oh I just looked again, now it says "praise the Lord and pass the gravy"

I'm from NC and I KNOW what you are talking about! Since these kind of foods lead to health problems, certain ingredients and fast food should be taxed along with other vices like alcohol and tobacco! Severe weight gain shouldn't even be an option to have, it's already classified as a disease backed up
by statistics associated with growing medical costs treating ailments accompanied with being obese.

No surprise about southern states have high obesity rate.

In 20 years ago, obesity rate in Alabama was less than 15% and not seen any obese people, probably few of them in one year so today, I saw TOO MANY obese people in anywhere now.

due to chicken fry

I'm not sure about fried foods are contributed to high obesity rate because fried food is popular southern cuisine in southern states for over hundred years, and the obesity rate is all low until recently.

I believe that lack of exercise is one of them, same goes with sugary foods. I saw too many students bought sugary foods when I was on way to class.

Keep on mind, don't eat over 2,500 calorie, unless you have a lot of time to exercise to burn the calories.

with probably vegetable oil or canola oil which is bad for them. They're very rancid and unstable. In old South, they used lard.

Burger King and McDonalds used lard to fry french fries before they were pressured to give up the lard sometimes in late 70s, because lard has bad reputation. Julia Child was a lard advocate and was a French cuisine lover. Lard is very popular in French cuisine. Julia Child opt to not eat Mcdonalds french fries, because McDonalds had dropped lard.

Oh, Happy Birthday, Julia Child.

I believe that they use peanut oil so often.

I saw huge jars of peanut oil for $40 at grocery store.

I believe that they use peanut oil so often.

I saw huge jars of peanut oil for $40 at grocery store.

Ew. I haven't seen those in Dallas. Farmer markets have become more popular here. We have several Central Markets, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. Trader Joe's will be opened next month. We also have all year open Dallas Farmer Market.

I don't think peanut oil should be used for frying nor cooking. It contains high percentages of omega-6 that contribute to obesity. You know, too much omega-6 can make food toxic. Peanut oil can be used to sprinkle for salad. Depends on how peanut oil was processed properly ensuring it's safe to consume.

I use organic coconut oil, organic palm oil and lard for cooking only. I buy lard directly from the pasture farm. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for dressings.

Ew. I haven't seen those in Dallas. . .
It's very popular in South Carolina. Here, we use peanut oil for deep frying turkey (outdoors), a couple times a year, and deep frying catfish. Sometimes the pure peanut oil is too expensive, so we use the blended oils.

I don't think peanut oil should be used for frying nor cooking. It contains high percentages of omega-6 that contribute to obesity. You know, too much omega-6 can make food toxic. Peanut oil can be used to sprinkle for salad. Depends on how peanut oil was processed properly ensuring it's safe to consume....
There are other opinions about peanut oil:

"Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying
Posted by Lee Zalben, May 26, 2011

. . . Peanut oil has a high smoke point and neutral taste which makes it perfect for frying foods. It's also low in saturated fat and high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, making it healthier than frying with shortening or lard.

Cooking with peanut oil isn't an exclusively American thing. Peanut oil has been used throughout Asia for years. In fact, most Chinese restaurants in the U.S. use peanut oil exclusively in the kitchen.

One interesting thing about refined peanut oil, the kind used for most cooking and frying, is that it is made from raw (not roasted) peanuts and is processed under high heat, which eliminates all of the protein. This makes refined peanut oil safe for people with peanut allergies. (Note: cold pressed, or roasted aromatic peanut oil does contain peanut proteins and is not suitable for people with peanut allergies. These products will always be labeled as such.)

And while it's a little early to start thinking about Thanksgiving, peanut oil is every turkey fryer's best friend!"
Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying | Serious Eats

It's very popular in South Carolina. Here, we use peanut oil for deep frying turkey (outdoors), a couple times a year, and deep frying catfish. Sometimes the pure peanut oil is too expensive, so we use the blended oils.

There are other opinions about peanut oil:

"Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying
Posted by Lee Zalben, May 26, 2011

. . . Peanut oil has a high smoke point and neutral taste which makes it perfect for frying foods. It's also low in saturated fat and high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, making it healthier than frying with shortening or lard.

Cooking with peanut oil isn't an exclusively American thing. Peanut oil has been used throughout Asia for years. In fact, most Chinese restaurants in the U.S. use peanut oil exclusively in the kitchen.

One interesting thing about refined peanut oil, the kind used for most cooking and frying, is that it is made from raw (not roasted) peanuts and is processed under high heat, which eliminates all of the protein. This makes refined peanut oil safe for people with peanut allergies. (Note: cold pressed, or roasted aromatic peanut oil does contain peanut proteins and is not suitable for people with peanut allergies. These products will always be labeled as such.)

And while it's a little early to start thinking about Thanksgiving, peanut oil is every turkey fryer's best friend!"
Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying | Serious Eats

Sure, peanut oil is is used for high heating, because good fats are responsible that keep it stable. It is ok once in a while. That doesn't concern me. Did the writer mention anything else about aflatoxins? Lard was the traditional fat used in China and Japan. Westernized Chineses have abandoned lard and move on to butter, vegetable oil, peanut oil, and canola oil for cooking. My Chinese native friend even uses vegetable oil and butter for stir fry.

I personally prefer lard and tallow over peanut oil, because lard and tallow from grass-fed animals are rich in omega-3 fatty aids and CLA. That's what my body needs. Plus it is very high in vitamin D next to cod liver oil. Actually, they have saved my teeth. My cavities are disappearing literally.

Steaming, baking, grilling or boiling meats/veggies is what works for me & my family...We do eat fast foods occasionally, but keep it to a minimum. Fruit for dessert, I do very little baking as for cakes or pies (only the Holidays).....

Ew. I haven't seen those in Dallas. Farmer markets have become more popular here. We have several Central Markets, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. Trader Joe's will be opened next month. We also have all year open Dallas Farmer Market.

I don't think peanut oil should be used for frying nor cooking. It contains high percentages of omega-6 that contribute to obesity. You know, too much omega-6 can make food toxic. Peanut oil can be used to sprinkle for salad. Depends on how peanut oil was processed properly ensuring it's safe to consume.

I use organic coconut oil, organic palm oil and lard for cooking only. I buy lard directly from the pasture farm. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for dressings.

I dislike any food that cook with lard so I prefer vegetable, corn or peanut oil.

I use vegetable or corn oil for baking.

Back