MMR - Australian VRS

Good news, they have an option to provide an possible of an seperate stand alone internet connectivity where that doesnt have any 100% connectivity within my department, only for myself. They said they can support the trial, unless my boss can imburse the bills for the internet useage. So lets hope it will happen!

Good news, they have an option to provide an possible of an seperate stand alone internet connectivity where that doesnt have any 100% connectivity within my department, only for myself. They said they can support the trial, unless my boss can imburse the bills for the internet useage. So lets hope it will happen!

Great! Better separate internet connection.

The MMR service now has been renamed to ACE VRS (Australian Communication Exchange Video Relay Service) and to let you know the website has been redesigned... and I am impressed now.....see: www.videorelay.com.au (it will redirect you to the default page with the ace website)

The MMR service now has been renamed to ACE VRS (Australian Communication Exchange Video Relay Service) and to let you know the website has been redesigned... and I am impressed now.....see: www.videorelay.com.au (it will redirect you to the default page with the ace website)

This website is nice! You should send images of your videophone to ACE which using VRS.

The progress over the last 5 years in this Video Relay Service for Deaf Australians are now, from 1st July 2013, funded by the Australian Government. It is a biggest improvement to the national relay service since 1995 and a huge jump into the 21st century, it was 3 years late, but a very happy news for all the deaf australian commuinity. VRS is here to stay for good!

For these people, who doesn't know what I am talking about. The Video Relay Service has been on a trial since 2008/2009, as they were privately funded by the Australian Communications Exchange, with the tender that the government has handed down. The provider won the tender and will be functioning for the next 5 years, and after that, it continues with further improvements. We use, skype application software to make video relay calls these days :mrgreen:

The progress over the last 5 years in this Video Relay Service for Deaf Australians are now, from 1st July 2013, funded by the Australian Government. It is a biggest improvement to the national relay service since 1995 and a huge jump into the 21st century, it was 3 years late, but a very happy news for all the deaf australian commuinity. VRS is here to stay for good!

Improvement, yes. However what about the platform they use into the future. I dont like the idea of using Skype because it is a proprietary and closed platform. They need to move to SIP based platform. its open and can be shared with many various software and hardware based telephony.

Improvement, yes. However what about the platform they use into the future. I dont like the idea of using Skype because it is a proprietary and closed platform. They need to move to SIP based platform. its open and can be shared with many various software and hardware based telephony.

I agree with you. Skype platform is not good. They don't support emergency calls (911)

Well, the Skype platform is the best software we use here in Australia and plus word from them said australian VRS beats better than the VRS services in the US as I was told. Everyone in the community here has Skype access and plus, Skype has wide range of devices that can be used for Skype use and the NRS VRS has been expanding progressively. since its tender agreement handover to the Australian Government on 1 July 2013. So far it has been providing an excellent service.

Back