minority or disability

shake

Reaction score
I am doing a research paper for sign language and i would like to know whether deaf people would rather be considered a minority like ethnic and religious groups and not recieve SSI or would deaf people rather recieve SSI with the stigma of having a disability?

I'm profound deaf and I rather work and not get SSI. :P I'm proud of myself and loving my work.

I don't really consider myself as a minority. I'm human... period.

shake said:
I am doing a research paper for sign language and i would like to know whether deaf people would rather be considered a minority like ethnic and religious groups and not recieve SSI or would deaf people rather recieve SSI with the stigma of having a disability?

I would consider myself to be a part of a culturally and linguistic minority group rather than to consider myself disabled. Granted, I cannot hear, but I do not feel that it is such a serious condition enough to be considered "a disabling condition" for me. The only thing I cannot do is to hear, but I am still able to walk, run, speak, watch TV, climb a mountain, etc...

I speak an unique language called ASL, and I share this language with ASL signers. ASL is not the language of the majority, but rather the language of a minority group. Nevertheless, ASL is recognised as a language that can be taught in high schools and colleges alongside French, German, etc... We have an association called ASLTA, which certifies ASL teachers.

We have our own events like the Deaflympics, World Congress for the Deaf, bowling tournaments, Deaf Awareness Week, etc... We have our own publications such as Deaf Life, etc... and websites dedicated to deaf groups such as Alldeaf, for example. We also have our own history with several prominent deaf figures.

Like other minority groups, we face discrimination and ignorance from the majority. We have an association called NAD (National Association for the Deaf) that deals with a lot of issues that Deaf people face. We have the ADA law to try to minimalize that kind of discrimination, just like the Civil Rights Act and Affirmative Action were enacted for other minority groups.

I would rather that deaf people find jobs instead of staying home and receiving SSI. The problem lies on whether if the majority is willing to open their minds and employ deaf workers in their workplaces. It is not always easy for deaf and hard of hearing individuals to find a job outside the deaf community, meaning the community of the majority. A Russian speaker would encounter same experience as a deaf person, when facing an English majority workplace, because the language of the deaf person is ASL as well. The majority needs to be educated to work with the deaf employees on trying to break down the communication barriers.

Last edited by a moderator:
shake said:

I already wrote a similar paper for my Independent Studies in order to complete my graduation requirements for my BA in Sociocultural Anthropology :) Good luck.

I consider myself as both -- largely a minority because of ASL, events, and governance. Disabled because I have difficulty obtaining jobs that does not require telephone use -- not my biggest concern however.

As well as being Deaf I am also a Disabilty Rights activist. Dis Rights activists believe that disabilty isn't something bad or something that needs to be cured.
We believe that disabilty is a nautral part of human variance, and that it can be adapted to and lived with and that it's not a limitation. We don't believe that disabilty means inablity. (ever seen the bumper sticker that says "Attitude is the REAL disabilty?" )
There is even a Disabilty Culture!!! (clubs, magazines, even a scouting program etc)
I believe that Deafness is BOTH a disabilty (NOT inabilty) and culture!
whether deaf people would rather be considered a minority like ethnic and religious groups and not recieve SSI or would deaf people rather recieve SSI with the stigma of having a disability?
I think most Deaf people should not receive SSI/Disabilty, except if they have other significent health issues. (I remember off the top of my head for example that a lot of born deaf/hoh folks have kidney issues, b/c the kidneys and the ears are formed at the same time)
Even nondisabled folks have trouble managing health costs! I'm "severely" disabled, (hoh, low muscle tone, depression, developmental issues etc) but the only reason I'm on SSI/Disabilty is b/c I cannot get a job that pays enough for both basic living expenses AND the extra costs that my disablities incur. (under my parents' insurance my Zoloft is $20.00. Also hearing aids aren't generally covered by insurance)
You indicate in your post that having a disabilty is a stigma....I do not think so.
It's unusual to have a disabilty but it's not a stigma.

Back