Middle Schooler's Blue Hair 'Disruptive'

rockin'robin

Reaction score
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Strands of blue artificial hair in her daughter's braids have a Jacksonville mother seeing red about Duval County Public Schools' dress code.

Darlene Hill said her seventh-grader came home from school on Friday saying her mohawk-styled, braided hair with blue strands violates the code.

"Her hair is not distasteful. It is not a distraction," said Hill, who spent today trying to resolve differences with her daughter's school, Dupont Middle.

School officials met with students last week to review the district's code of appearance; no student, including Hill's daughter, has been disciplined at Dupont because of wearing colored hair.

School administrators have the final say on dress they consider disruptive, District spokesperson Jill Johnson said. The code spells out what is expected when it comes to dress, hair and jewelry.

"It is really not about the color of hair; what it's about is the disruption in class," said Johnson, who noted school administrators work with parents to resolve problems and differences of opinion.

As of this afternoon, however, Hill said she has no intention of removing the blue strands from her daughter's braided hair.

Duval's Code of Appearance (from the Duval County Public Schools):

General code of appearance:
Administrators and teachers of Duval County Public Schools enforce dress and grooming guidelines that promote the successful operation of schools. On-site administrators determine apparel that is appropriate, disruptive, distracting, or in violation of safety rules outlined in the General Code of Appearance.

Each student has the responsibility to dress appropriately for the school environment. Any apparel, jewelry (such as body piercings, ornaments) and hairstyles shall not disrupt the classroom environment. These guidelines for dress and grooming apply to all students in all public schools of Duval County.

Elementary Schools: Shoes without closed heels or back straps should not be worn.

Secondary Schools: Shoes must be worn. However, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn.

Halter-tops, tank tops, backless tops, tops with thin or no straps, or tops that show midriff or expose the body are prohibited.

See-through or mesh garments shall not be worn without appropriate undergarments.

Form-fitting or overly tight clothing shall not be worn without appropriate outer garments.

Properly hemmed outer garments such as shorts, divided skirts, and dresses may be worn, provided they are not distracting, as determined by the school administration. Garments including, but not limited to such items as boxer shorts, traditionally designed as undergarments may not be worn as outer garments.

Clothing and accessories shall not be worn if they display symbols, violence, lewd and obscene messages, sexually suggestive phrases, or advertisements, or symbols of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs

Head coverings, including but not limited to, caps, hats, bandanas, and hair curlers, shall not be worn on school property, unless required by a physician or authorized by school personnel.

The waistband of shorts, slacks, skirts, and similar garments shall not be worn below the hips. Underwear, midriff and backs should not be exposed.

Belts, suspenders, and straps should be worn in place and fastened.
Any articles of clothing or jewelry that may cause injury to oneself or to others are prohibited.

All students must adhere to these minimal guidelines for acceptable apparel and appearance. In order to maximize instructional time, students will be given an opportunity to immediately correct dress code violations.

Duval Schools Calls Dupont Middle Schooler's Blue Hair 'Disruptive' | Firstcoastnews.com | Local News

We cant have blues, reds, or pinks in hair here because of gang activity but kids are allowed to color their hair if they so choose and ive never seen it as a distraction. I am a para-educator and last year I had abig pink chunk in my mohawk (before they outlawed pink) and all the kids LOVED it! Let them express themselves, I cant see it being that big of an issue!

My boys said that the "rules" are a lot stricker this year than last year's...One rule I do agree with and aplaud is the pants not worn so low and their underwear showing....I've hated that fashion for years!

My boys said that the "rules" are a lot stricker this year than last year's...One rule I do agree with and aplaud is the pants not worn so low and their underwear showing....I've hated that fashion for years!

You're not the only one :P

I think the ban on dying hair is stupid. It should be at the discrection of the parents.

Kids have so many freaking rules...can't do this, that, this, that...geez. Give them some room.

This goes for teachers, too.

Translation: I want pink hair!!! I want to wear my nose ring. And if I want to have visable tattooes, so be it! It's my body!

For now...I'll stick with boring blonde hair and wear corny clothes with apples on them. Yay on being a teacher...got to look the part.

Yeah, then have the kids go crazy when they go off to college. "Whoo-hoo - no more HS rules! I can wear this and that in class now!" (I know this because I was one of them.)

The rules their HS's impose are ridiculous. No hats? Come on.

agreed the dress code are just stupid in HS. I don't mind colored hair at all :)

Reminds me of all the shitty rules I had to follow back in high school.
I couldn't:

Wear earrings bigger than a quarter
Have any exposed piercings that weren't the regular ones on the earlobe. ( guys couldn't have piercings at all. )
No make up
Had to have my hair on a ponytail
No nail polish unless it's clear
No dual hair color and that included no crazy dyes
No more than one ring per hand
No more than one bracelet per hand

They claimed that by setting those rules we would get used to rules when we got jobs but...I don't see how having earrings a little bigger than normal would disrupt anyone's work or having a different hair color. People are so ridiculous.

Reminds me of all the shitty rules I had to follow back in high school.
I couldn't:

Wear earrings bigger than a quarter
Have any exposed piercings that weren't the regular ones on the earlobe. ( guys couldn't have piercings at all. )
No make up
Had to have my hair on a ponytail
No nail polish unless it's clear
No dual hair color and that included no crazy dyes
No more than one ring per hand
No more than one bracelet per hand

They claimed that by setting those rules we would get used to rules when we got jobs but...I don't see how having earrings a little bigger than normal would disrupt anyone's work or having a different hair color. People are so ridiculous.

Why did you have to wear your hair in a ponytail? That is an odd rule. Some people get headache from wearing a ponytail as they made it too tight.
I got send home from school once because my dress was too short. If you got down on your knees and your dress did not touch the floor it was too short!

Why did you have to wear your hair in a ponytail? That is an odd rule. Some people get headache from wearing a ponytail as they made it too tight.
I got send home from school once because my dress was too short. If you got down on your knees and your dress did not touch the floor it was too short!

Because it would be less distracting to the girls ( flipping it and what not >.> ) and for the guys wanting to touch it :S ...they used ridiculous reasons for their rules. And Thank goodness we had uniform, I didn't have to worry about what to wear each day :giggle:

O__O That's kind of a degrading way to find out if the dress is short or not. Making a kid go on their knees...dang!

Because it would be less distracting to the girls ( flipping it and what not >.> ) and for the guys wanting to touch it :S ...they used ridiculous reasons for their rules. And Thank goodness we had uniform, I didn't have to worry about what to wear each day :giggle:

O__O That's kind of a degrading way to find out if the dress is short or not. Making a kid go on their knees...dang!

Yeah ,it was a drag having to get on your knees! I am glad I was able to wear lose and over my left eye. I would put a blond streak in my hair and I would hide it under my long hair so my dad could not see it! And if he happen to see a little blond in my hair I told dad the sun did that! I wanted to have more blond streaks but dad would thought it looked too cheap!

there is a reason for the codes. especially in city schools where poor performance is the norm. having dress and hair codes has proven to be beneficial for ALL students. this way there are less "outsiders" as well as less bullying. sure it sucks and all that but these days the students need to cool their jets before they come in the classrooms. they can always go home and borrow grand mom's wig

Its ok to expose your children to wildlife ;)

Baby20punk.jpg

I think the ban on dying hair is stupid. It should be at the discretion of the parents.

Kids have so many freaking rules...can't do this, that, this, that...geez. Give them some room.

Seriously!!! :shrug:I don't see the big deal... I had magenta bangs in middle school and no one ever said anything to me :/ In fact, other than a few Ohh's and Ahh's school was just like every other day. It disrupted nothing...

Back