Memory spans in the visual modality: A comparison between American Sign Language

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://udini.proquest.com/view/memory-spans-in-the-visual-modality-goid:741149809/

Short-term memory span: insights from sign language

Previous research has shown conflicting results with the use of the Digit Span subtest from the Wechsler Adults Intelligence Scale (WAIS-III) for American Sign Language (ASL) as the average span for digits and letters varies from research studies on deaf individuals (e.g., native deaf signers, hard-of-hearing, and oral deaf). Previous researchers investigated if deaf individuals process information in working memory (WM) using the phonological loop or the visuospatial sketchpad and presented with more questions than answers. Most of the studies used only the forward portion of the digit span task, which is a measure of short-term memory (STM). Furthermore, few studies modified the digit span test using letters instead of digits; yet, the spans for letters were not compared to digits. An auditory superiority effect has been found in hearing speakers of spoken English (SE) in which the span for items administered orally were longer than items administered visually (Kemtes & Allen, 2008). This study asks if a difference exist between two visual languages? The current study compared the forward and backward recall of digits (DSF, DSB) and letters (LSF, LSB) in the visual language modality: ASL and Print. Fifty deaf signers were recruited from Gallaudet University, but after exclusion due to technical difficulties, 38 participants were used for data analysis. This was a three-way within-subject design with three independent variables and one dependent variable. The three independent variables were: (1) direction of recall (i.e., forward vs. backward), (2) format (i.e., digits vs. letters), and (3) presentation (i.e., ASL vs. Print). Results showed that none of the interactions or main effects were significant with the exception of direction of recall F (1, 37) = 12.698, p = .001, η p2 = .256. The digit and letter spans were lower for ASL and Print when compared to other studies using hearing speakers of SE. Findings suggested that the phonological loop is best for tasks of sequential processing and recalling items in reverse order is a novel task that requires additional cognitive resources. The effect of informational decay as a possible factor for the lower spans when compared to SE is discussed.

edit on update!

I reading I am curious

people have depend long term memory sign language

It is very lots of really interesting It is very sound

lots of people have difficult to struggle

It is very limit on your difficult, It is very difficult, ASL memory term! it is very long term fast to your ASL! take an memory long develop!

I am lots of reading on information! People have problem complication

that is very complication!!

Complication? Well Hearing people complicates themselves. I have already shared my perspective about Hearing and Deafness. I came down to simplification... It is all about sense. We the Deafies lost a sense, and can NOT recognize the sense of sounds, that is where Hearing people don't understand.

We know of at least 5 different senses, anyone can use one of these sense to communicate each other and NONE of these 5 senses can be interpret the same. How we interpret what we see, and how we interpret what we smell, it is totally different

So, the English language itself is actually written within the sense of sounds not visual. ASL does not have its own written language, that is why no one can figure out yet. Once we have written language thats in true ASL format then we would see the difference and will realize that it is just the differences based on which senses been used. So, because we lost our sense known as sounds, we have no way to explain to ignorant hearing people the difference.

Perfect examples are these dogs (Don't mean to be crude but its true), ask yourself why dogs always use their nose to sniff (censored) to identify, even they got eyes to use to identify? Why they usually don't use their ears, eyes, etc to communicate with others. Don't you know dogs were born blind for at least 10 days, so which sense they uses to begin? Answer is there.

Now, called it memory issues? LOL its JOKE! they forgot that because absent of sounds and trying to understand English language does not mean it has to do with memory, it has to do with trying to figure out what the hell hearing people are saying?

I remembered back then in reading classes where we learn new words, blah blah blah in high school. I was the only student understood perfectly clear while the rest of my Deaf classmates got it all wrong. Here is a sentence. A person selected imported wine over domestic wine. Teacher trying to explain the sentence and why it is written that way. After class, doing homework. All of my classmates said, this wine must be most important wine cause it is called Imported. I frowned on this one, and tried to explain to them, no it does not mean that it is important, it means that this wine came from outside of us they all don't believe me. Oh well.

Last edited:
Complication? Well Hearing people complicates themselves. I have already shared my perspective about Hearing and Deafness. I came down to simplification... It is all about sense. We the Deafies lost a sense, and can NOT recognize the sense of sounds, that is where Hearing people don't understand.

We know of at least 5 different senses, anyone can use one of these sense to communicate each other and NONE of these 5 senses can be interpret the same. How we interpret what we see, and how we interpret what we smell, it is totally different

So, the English language itself is actually written within the sense of sounds not visual. ASL does not have its own written language, that is why no one can figure out yet. Once we have written language thats in true ASL format then we would see the difference and will realize that it is just the differences based on which senses been used. So, because we lost our sense known as sounds, we have no way to explain to ignorant hearing people the difference.

Perfect examples are these dogs (Don't mean to be crude but its true), ask yourself why dogs always use their nose to sniff something else? Why they usually don't use their ears, eyes, etc to communicate with others. Don't you know dogs were born blind for at least 10 days, so which sense they uses to begin? Answer is there.

Really interesting, sound look likes dog were blind at least 10 days? ? hard impossible ? hard how interesting,. odd.. sound look likes complication I am perceptive. how cannot hear , dog cannot see blind, sniff you, ,not easy! I recognized!
I believe you,

sound look likes ASL pretty interesting. I find out information, thank diehardbiker

"Findings suggested that the phonological loop is best for tasks of sequential processing"

I have a huge problem with sequential processing but I have APD and not hearing loss so I don't know how that compares.

"Findings suggested that the phonological loop is best for tasks of sequential processing"

I have a huge problem with sequential processing but I have APD and not hearing loss so I don't know how that compares.

oh see. I understand it is pretty depend APD!

@diehardbiker

you said on Now, called it memory issues? LOL its JOKE! they forgot that because absent of sounds and trying to understand English language does not mean it has to do with memory, it has to do with trying to figure out what the hell hearing people are saying?

sound look likes pretty! depend on memory on development to mind, how mind focus on mind, out of control on mind control focus on belong nerve... I see pretty you serious. huh!

what do you doing exactly on how English Language Memory? development

All puppies born blind (Eyes do not open) for about 10 days and that is normal. I have deal with puppies in the past and know how they behave.

Really interesting, sound look likes dog were blind at least 10 days? ? hard impossible ? hard how interesting,. odd.. sound look likes complication I am perceptive. how cannot hear , dog cannot see blind, sniff you, ,not easy! I recognized!
I believe you,

sound look likes ASL pretty interesting. I find out information, thank diehardbiker

All puppies born blind (Eyes do not open) for about 10 days and that is normal. I have deal with puppies in the past and know how they behave.

Yes I know dog blind is reason behavior. I notice to few my friend, I saw friends's dogs I avoid on touch dogs guy handle on reason follow proper to behave dog.. I respect to due to dog blind. I understand. I am very interesting.. People help to dogs. They friendly for dogs!

As Signs are a visual presentation-hardly surprising handled by "visual segment" of one's brain. Thanks goodness for Neural plasticity.

Dogs use their nose because it is the most developed sense they have.

They only see in black and white. Their hearing is excellent but their sense of smell is between 10,000 to 100,000 more sensitive than mans.

They use what they got.

Dogs use their nose because it is the most developed sense they have.

They only see in black and white. Their hearing is excellent but their sense of smell is between 10,000 to 100,000 more sensitive than mans.

They use what they got.

yes dog experiment skills to development to memory clever everything!..

Back