Meet 'Moose' The 16-Pound Infant

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Father Says He Sees Football In The Future

LONGVIEW, Texas -- A Texas mother's little bundle of joy wasn't all that little -- her new baby boy weighed-in at more than 16 pounds.

The 16-pound, 4-ounce Jamichael's size has already earned him a nickname among the hospital staff.

"They call him Moose up here," said Michael Brown, the boy's father.

Jamichael also came into the world with a full head of hair, a 17-inch chest and stood 2 feet tall. He easily took the record for the biggest baby born at the Good Shepherd Hospital in Longview, Texas.

Nurses said they knew Jamichael would be a big boy as soon as they saw him; he blew their estimated 12 pounds out of the water.

"Wow, this is really going to be big, all we could see was big cheeks," said nurse Mary Beth Smith.

As for mom, she didn't have much to say about the labor.

"I'm just excited that he's here," said Janet Johnson while recovering from her cesarean section.

Jamichael has some health concerns, nurses said they are working to get his blood sugar up, and he needs help breathing from a ventilator.

Brown said in spite of his son's health problems, he can see Moose out on the football field already.

Meet 'Moose' The 16-Pound Infant - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Reminds me of my daughter. At her size, she was very big, and was born dehydrated, low blood sugar and jaundiced.

She was only 12 1/2 pounds and 24 1/2 inches, but still.

Wow that is big. I was only 6 pounds when I was born. I think you can have 2 and half of me to be same height as him!

Seriously, I dunno how the mother survived having a baby that big....but the old saying goes....."things are always bigger in Texas!"

Reminds me of my daughter. At her size, she was very big, and was born dehydrated, low blood sugar and jaundiced.

She was only 12 1/2 pounds and 24 1/2 inches, but still.

Oh man! was it the usual delivery or a ceaserean?

I figured you must've! My second son was 9 lb 2 ounces and let me tell ya, that was painful. He had a BIG head.

Lady who had a baby three days after me that my doc delivered? Her baby was 17 pounds and 13 inches and it was a natural delivery. I saw her in the office for a followup afterwards and after 5 days, she still could not walk. Saw her recently since we moved back to this area and her son is now 17, 5'9" and weighs 165 pounds. Not bad after his start.

Lady who had a baby three days after me that my doc delivered? Her baby was 17 pounds and 13 inches and it was a natural delivery. I saw her in the office for a followup afterwards and after 5 days, she still could not walk. Saw her recently since we moved back to this area and her son is now 17, 5'9" and weighs 165 pounds. Not bad after his start.

:eek3:...Naturally ???? Seems that would have been dangerous to the lady...(even the baby also)?

:eek3:...Naturally ???? Seems that would have been dangerous to the lady...(even the baby also)?

Doctor had been keeping an eye on her, but like me, the insurance would not approve an early c-section. As it was, she went into labor on her own and was only in labor for 20 minutes before the baby came. Baby had no problems at birth at all. He was in better shape than my daughter.

Doctor had been keeping an eye on her, but like me, the insurance would not approve an early c-section. As it was, she went into labor on her own and was only in labor for 20 minutes before the baby came. Baby had no problems at birth at all. He was in better shape than my daughter.

Amazing!...Do you know if she had or was able to have more kids?...I'm telling ya...if I had a baby that B-I-G.....I'd have my vagina and my a-hole sewn up! :laugh2:

Amazing!...Do you know if she had or was able to have more kids?...I'm telling ya...if I had a baby that B-I-G.....I'd have my vagina and my a-hole sewn up! :laugh2:

She had 3 more, can you believe it? They were all between 6-8 pounds and 17-19 inches. You know, normal sized.

That baby is gigantic compared to me. I was born premature and I was 4 lbs.

She had 3 more, can you believe it? They were all between 6-8 pounds and 17-19 inches. You know, normal sized.

Nope, I sure can't believe it....but, time heals all wounds and people soon "forget"....all I can say is WOW!...

So, should she lose custody of her baby because he was born obese? (In reference to another thread).

And oh, my! Poor Momma! :(

Excuse my language, but it's pisses me off that the insurance companies have the power to make medical decisions that could be life-threatening!!! WTF is wrong with our country?!

Excuse my language, but it's pisses me off that the insurance companies have the power to make medical decisions that could be life-threatening!!! WTF is wrong with our country?!

That was my question back in 1994. We had a feeling when I was 5 months pregnant that my daughter would be large. Doctor sent all medical info including a current ultrasound to the insurance company requesting for a c-section 2 weeks before my due date. Their response was they wouldn't do it because "too many young mothers are opting out of the pain of childbirth". They then told my doctor, that in order to pay for any costs related to a c-section, I would have to go 2 weeks PAST my due date and a minimum of 10 hours of labor. Doc scheduled it for 2 weeks and 1 day after. I went into labor the night before and had 15 hours of labor. Daughter and I were both dehydrated, she was jaundiced and had an oxygen cut-off and almost died. Her left leg was curved, her ear has a minor deformity and her neck was cocked over at a 45 degree angle. With all kinds of work and such, her leg straightened out, her neck got stronger, but she had to endure 7 years or so of speech therapy and still has issues. Then, when I got pregnant again, doc's first question was "Do you still have the same insurance company?" I said no, and so after confirmation of my pregnancy, he requested immediately for pre-approval of a c-section 2 weeks before my due date. Son was born then 2 weeks early and was still 10.5 pounds and 22 1/2 inches.

People kept asking how I managed to have such large babies and I just told them I drank Miracle Grow during my pregnancy. :giggle:

Back