mEDICARE AND COCHLEAR IMPLANTS

Cutie2

Reaction score
I am now under Medicare and am eligible for an implant. However, Medicare does not pay it all. Does anyone know what is a good insurance supplement to get to cover the rest of the expense? Thanks for any replies.

You have to pay 20% of CI cost, including surgery.

If CI surgery cost $100,000 so that means you have to pay $20,000 out of pocket.

It is not cheaper to get Medicare supplement.

View All Medigap Policies

If I was you, it is not worth to get CI.

You have to pay 20% of CI cost, including surgery.

If CI surgery cost $100,000 so that means you have to pay $20,000 out of pocket.

It is not cheaper to get Medicare supplement.

View All Medigap Policies

I agree with you but some people cannot accept themselves so they feel the need to 'fix' themselves in order to fit into society.

I think if more people accepted themselves, there would be a lot more happier people.

Medicare covers 80%. I have Wyoming Medicaid as secondary and they covered the remaining 20%. Definitely contact a Medicare rep and see if they can help you find a secondary insurance to cover the remaining costs.

and while going through the process myself, my understanding was (as audie/CI clinic explained it to me).. if the CI total costs $100,000, Medicare will only accept a lesser amount (say, $60,000). Medicare then pays 80% of $60,000, and the remaining 20% (of the $60,000) goes to secondary insurance or is paid out of pocket. My total was a bit over $100,000, but Medicare did not pay that much. Can't remember how much Medicare accepted but was much less than the $100,000 bill from the hospital.

What do you know about the person are attempting to advise that hearing is not worth it? By the way, I haven't heard of anyone on Medicare paying anything like 20,000 dollars. They usually get the entire thing covered. My out of pocket was $2.000 with my insurance.

I think if more people accepted themselves, there would be a lot more happier people.

What do you know about the person you are advising that they would be happier if they just accept it? Do you go around advising people who have lost the use of limbs that they should just accept it and go without mobility? No wheel chairs or prosthetics. That would be denying who they are. Let them crawl and rely on others to do things for them while claiming no disability.

I hope you realize if Medicare say they'll cover a surgery it's not a guarantee that they'll. I was told this by Medicare . I had tried to get it in writing that they will cover something and Medicare will not do it.

I hope you realize if Medicare say they'll cover a surgery it's not a guarantee that they'll. I was told this by Medicare . I had tried to get it in writing that they will cover something and Medicare will not do it.

Original Medicare does not do approvals/preapprovals/etc. If you have a PPO Medicare plan (Advantage), then they will do pre-approvals. But generally, as long as one meets the criteria Medicare has in place, should not be a problem with coverage.

Does anyone know how much CI processor that can be used for people who had surgery in 1991 costs?

What do you know about the person you are advising that they would be happier if they just accept it? Do you go around advising people who have lost the use of limbs that they should just accept it and go without mobility? No wheel chairs or prosthetics. That would be denying who they are. Let them crawl and rely on others to do things for them while claiming no disability.

This is a deaf forum. I am not talking about people without limbs. You are in the wrong forum.

cdmeggers was right on the money but the rest of ya'll are wrong. After I got my CI my audi ended up using me as a patient consult for her prospective CI recipients and I learned a lot from the people I talked to. Like cdmeggers said Medicare will cover 80% of the Medicare approved amount which is always less. Now most hospitals and ENT surgeons are opting to do it as inpatient surgery even though it can be done outpatient. So all you would have to pay is the deductible for hospitalization. Which is something like $1500 I think and that's it Medicare covers the rest and you can only be billed the deductible and no more.

This is a deaf forum. I am not talking about people without limbs. You are in the wrong forum.

Actually, it is you that is in the wrong forum. You cannot advise someone you don't know anything about to "just accept it." This is a deaf forum, not a Deaf forum. That means you are going to see posts from a variety of people. There is no one "deaf experience" and there is no one solution for how to cope. What works for you isn't the answer for everyone else.

If the person you are attempting to advise is a prelingually deaf person that has completely unrealistic expectations about what a hearing aid or CI can do for them, then I would agree with your "accept who you are" approach. I highly doubt that is the case here.

Back