Mass Shooting in California , 6 dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes. that's why it's tricky as it varies in state/city/town as it's up to police chief to issue you one or not... bottom line - it's up to police chief to decide whether or not to issue one after reviewing all facts gathered. some states are very lax on that part as they just simply check for your criminal record and any record with state mental hospital and some states will be more stringent and thorough with background check like my state (NJ)….
Yes, each state is different. In our state (SC), the police chiefs are not involved in the process at all. The background check is done by SLED (State Law Enforcement Division). There is no personal contact with the issuing agency.

If someone were to shoot my little boy, my "grieving" reaction wouldn't turn into a political statement. My blame would not be on an inanimate object - but that's probably because I am sane, and I realize inanimate objects don't make people evil. I would certainly wonder how a person was "let loose" and set free to roam amongst us. Because that would be who I would blame - not my political opponents.

Loathesome ... :cool2:

maybe people would take articles such as the following a bit more seriously if they actually got the details right and decided not to go with an "emotional approach":

Christopher Michael-Martinez’s Father Gets It Right about Guns : The New Yorker

A flat out lie slandered as truth.

No, six people were not involved in a mass shooting - 3 people were. Three people were actually gunshot victims. He murdered 3 people with a knife and injured 13 people with his car.

Why is there no call for rationing gas? I mean, if Elliot didn't have enough gas, he couldn't drive his car. Why not have people pass a background check when buying eating utensils? I know .. let's pass a strict law, that will keep these crazies away from being ... crazy. :roll:

In 2008, the NRA tried to pass a bill that would allow mental records to appear in a background check. The bill was defeated by anti-gun Democrats that felt medical records of the mentally ill should be private - as this was a violation of their 4th amendment rights and Civil Rights.

So keep that in mind when assigning blame please.

How To Apply For Your MA Firearms License

This for my state.

exactly right, the police are not supermen with mind reading capabilities.

I feel the policemen should had taken the parents concerns more serious b/c the parents know their kid better than a polices is able to read minds.

Policemen use to take parents concerns more serious when I was younger.
That is where the system is breaking down , adults need to take more control of any situation and the cops allowed a kid to outsmart them. Now that is very scary to me to think this is who protecting us. The whole system failed again right down the doctors treating the shooter. He should had called the polices before calling the parents.

Its good to see people are actually researching firearms laws.

I knew how the gun law works in my state , I was posting it for people to get an idea how difference states gun laws are. When my dad dies my mom had to get dad hunting rifles put on her name , she joked about now owning guns that where almost taller than her.

I feel the policemen should had taken the parents concerns more serious b/c the parents know their kid better than a polices is able to read minds.

That is where the system is breaking down , adults need to take more control of any situation and the cops allowed a kid to outsmart them. Now that is very scary to me to think this is who protecting us. The whole system failed again right down the doctors treating the shooter. He should had called the polices before calling the parents.

They certainly had probable cause to search his apartment.

Then again, policemen aren't psychiatrists and are limited in what they're allowed to do. They also get calls from people who are just trying to make trouble for family members by making false charges.

I knew how the gun law works in my state , I was posting it for people to get an idea how difference states gun laws are. When my dad dies my mom had to get dad hunting rifles put on her name , she joked about now owning guns that where almost taller than her.
You're right that each state's gun laws are so different.

In this state, if it's a private sale or gift, there's no need to register anything. For example, if I wanted to give my guns to my daughter I would just hand them over.

coulda woulda shoulda. can you imagine handling thousands of cases and also making thousands of false alarms as well as dealing with costly lawsuits and settlements?

the only way possible is make everything and everybody very safe is to turn this country into a Police State with Thought Police department, Gestapo agents everywhere to kidnap/torture/interrogate/detain (indefinitely) a suspect, suspension of civil rights, martial law with curfew, abolition of Constitution, warrantless surveillance, and multiple heavily armed checkpoints everywhere.

that's the only way to feel "safe". if you like that idea... feel free to move to North Korea. I don't think I've ever heard of any single incident of "lunatic gunman" massacring people in North Korea.

coulda woulda shoulda. can you imagine handling thousands of cases and also making thousands of false alarms as well as dealing with costly lawsuits and settlements?

the only way possible is make everything and everybody very safe is to turn this country into a Police State with Thought Police department, Gestapo agents everywhere to kidnap/torture/interrogate/detain (indefinitely) a suspect, suspension of civil rights, martial law with curfew, abolition of Constitution, and multiple heavily armed checkpoints everywhere.

that's the only way to feel "safe"

Oh wow, I rather to die than live in extreme police state with no constitutional rights, no civil rights.

Oh wow, I rather to die than live in extreme police state with no constitutional rights, no civil rights.

die? why not fight?

WolverinesTWO.jpg

I am sure his mother told the police how mentally unstable her son was. All they needed to do was verify that he was .. somehow. The police did not arrive kicking his door down and pointing a gun at him. they couldn't search his apartment without a warrant, but the videos he posted and the warning from his mother could have likely produced a search warrant.

And yes, jiro is right .. coulda, woulda, shoulda ... the police are not mind readers.

the only way possible is make everything and everybody very safe is to turn this country into a Police State with Thought Police department, Gestapo agents everywhere to kidnap/torture/interrogate/detain (indefinitely) a suspect, suspension of civil rights, martial law with curfew, abolition of Constitution, warrantless surveillance, and multiple heavily armed checkpoints everywhere.

that's the only way to feel "safe". if you like that idea... feel free to move to North Korea. I don't think I've ever heard of any single incident of "lunatic gunman" massacring people in North Korea.

I just find it very hard that the cops did not think there was anything threaten about the shooter video . I heard the cops saw the video and just brush it off . I am talking about this case , I feel the cops did not take it serious enough . And when I said adults not getting control of situations I mean parents too, I don't know about you but when I go out grocery shopping I see parents letting their kids run all over the store poking their fingers into the food or bumping into people. Some parents are not teaching their kids to have any self control today , I think parents need to stop trying to be their kids best friends and do their jobs as parents. I know cops can't be arresting people left and right and I do NOT want a police state , I just want to see cops use some common sense . I feel the cops miss a lot of red flags in this case.

I just find it very hard that the cops did not think there was anything threaten about the shooter video . I heard the cops saw the video and just brush it off . I am talking about this case , I feel the cops did not take it serious enough . And when I said adults not getting control of situations I mean parents too, I don't know about you but when I go out grocery shopping I see parents letting their kids run all over the store poking their fingers into the food or bumping into people. Some parents are not teaching their kids to have any self control today , I think parents need to stop trying to be their kids best friends and do their jobs as parents. I know cops can't be arresting people left and right and I do NOT want a police state , I just want to see cops use some common sense . I feel the cops miss a lot of red flags in this case.
I know what you mean about today's parents and kids.

I am sure his mother told the police how mentally unstable her son was. All they needed to do was verify that he was .. somehow. The police did not arrive kicking his door down and pointing a gun at him. they couldn't search his apartment without a warrant, but the videos he posted and the warning from his mother could have likely produced a search warrant.

And yes, jiro is right .. coulda, woulda, shoulda ... the police are not mind readers.

Yeah ., but I still think the parents warning should be taken more serious in this case. Yeah I agree with that the videos should had been seen as RED flags . This is my point , the cops where outsmart by the shooter. I heard on the news the cops are trying to figure out how this happen . They where 'trained' , cops and the shooter was able to smooth talk his way out of being brought in for more questioning . I do not know what can be done so this will not happen again but what we're doing is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back