Martha's Vineyard Sign Language??

kroth

Reaction score
I am currently doing research for a paper i am writing on the history of the usage of sign language on Martha's Vineyard during the 18th and 19th century. I am interested to learn what others views are on this topic.

kroth... I, too, find this to be a very interesting topic. Have you read the book Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard? It's a fascinating book, and a little sad (as the use of the language - and its users - decreased in number).

As someone with a layman's interest in linguistics, I also found the information in the book about the various influences of other kinds of sign language on the MV sign language to be intriguing.

If you haven't read it, I highly encourage you to try to get your hands on a copy. Especially if you're writing a paper on the subject.

That is a very informative book, IntheGenes. And I find it facinating that the tradition of sign continues on Martha's Vinyard, even though it is no longer a predominantly Deaf community.

Back