Making small talk with hearing strangers

Wirelessly posted

And I agree with PFH.

It's how I find Deaf people in real life when I go to a new city anyway, because if I ask for directions, deafies wlll sign "SORRY-DEAF," then that is when I jump into ASL. Usually they provide better directions than hearies too.

Wirelessly posted

And I agree with PFH.

It's how I find Deaf people in real life when I go to a new city anyway, because if I ask for directions, deafies wlll sign "SORRY-DEAF," then that is when I jump into ASL. Usually they provide better directions than hearies too.

Souggy and PFH, I see your point. Point taken. However, what would your suggestion be in situations like KB's? I prefer signing, but I have also faced a similar situation as KB on numerous occasions when meeting hearing strangers, and even some hearing people I know.

Wirelessly posted

Is it any difference from hearing making fun of accents, even foreign ones, or treating people who don't answer as "retards"?

The very same people who mock sign languages are the same people who will on anything "different" regarding the non-Deaf.

Last edited:
I now work in a local grocery store, and I often get older hoh customers. I am ALWAYS willing to repeat, step closer, rephrase, everything. One checker I work with gets annoyed when she has to repeat, and asked me how I have patience for the "deaf old people". I pointed to my h-a, smiled, and moved on.
It take two people to make conversation. More often complete strangers, customers will repeat themselves so I can understand them, when my own family and friends won't.

Back