Love to do gardening?

I love gardening, my garden is fairly small. I have grown many vegs over the years but this year due to commiments, i haven't done much. The self growing ones are Raspberries, Rhubarbs (perfect for crumbles this autumn) and herbs. I have bought potted tomatoes, egg plants, bell peppers, courgettes as I didn't have time to plant seeds/germinate them. They all are doing very well this year and should fruit very soon.

Hubby is right that we are going to move up north in about 5 years.

We're eyeing a small country home almost 16 hours from here. It's a perfect sized home with a huge lot.

We both are gardeners and just miss gardening here in Toronto. We do have raised beds gardens but with this apartment complex, it is hard to tell which flat uses this raised bed garden, etc.

Our secret to gardening is to compost, re-using coffee grounds in the soil and sprinkling pepper around the garden to curb animals from nibbling on the plants.

Pepper is a very safe way to curb deer, rabbits and birds from nibbling on roots and tops. Pepper makes it difficult to eat as they will sneeze and know from experience not to forage in your area.

For birds, it is simple to re-use foil cans as it is loud and birds are frightened of loud and shiny objects. Just hang two small foil pans together and hang it on a small pole. The wind will make the pans smash against each other. This will frighten off the birds and other animals like squirrels as well.

Hubby and I never invest in frivolous & pricy products when we know we can use products that goes right back into the Earth and will not harm any animals.

A simple rule of thumb - gardening thrives on food that goes right back into the Earth.

Used coffee grounds can be found at ANY coffeehouses for free! They will be happy to give it off to you & save their garbage bags. Just bring a pail and they'll give it to you.

It is the best fertilizer for flowerbeds and gardens.

After a big party, wasted beer and wine can be saved and frozen. When you have problems with slugs, use the frozen wine/beer to "drown" the slugs. I usually put the leftover wine/beer in ice cube trays and put them in ziploc baggies. When I see a slug or two appear, I put a frozen cube on the area. Presto! It's gone.

Coffee grounds are perfect for grubs too as well. You can cut up a potato that has gone bad, cut it in 4 and put it on the lawn where the grubs are. Grubs will go crazy for the raw and starchy taste but will drown in it. Toss the potato in the compost.

The compost will naturally break down to fertilizer. Reuse the fertilizer in spring time, till the garden with compost. Make sure you till the garden again with compost when you have extracted all your vegetables before fall. This prepares the garden for hibernation, I hope all our experiences and tips helps.

Would like to start container-gardening in my new apartment someday.

Was suppose to grow radishes last year, but never got around to it.

That would be a good start as radishes are ready for harvesting in a mere 30 days.

Hubby is right that we are going to move up north in about 5 years.

We're eyeing a small country home almost 16 hours from here. It's a perfect sized home with a huge lot.

We both are gardeners and just miss gardening here in Toronto. We do have raised beds gardens but with this apartment complex, it is hard to tell which flat uses this raised bed garden, etc.

Our secret to gardening is to compost, re-using coffee grounds in the soil and sprinkling pepper around the garden to curb animals from nibbling on the plants.

Pepper is a very safe way to curb deer, rabbits and birds from nibbling on roots and tops. Pepper makes it difficult to eat as they will sneeze and know from experience not to forage in your area.

For birds, it is simple to re-use foil cans as it is loud and birds are frightened of loud and shiny objects. Just hang two small foil pans together and hang it on a small pole. The wind will make the pans smash against each other. This will frighten off the birds and other animals like squirrels as well.

Hubby and I never invest in frivolous & pricy products when we know we can use products that goes right back into the Earth and will not harm any animals.

A simple rule of thumb - gardening thrives on food that goes right back into the Earth.

Used coffee grounds can be found at ANY coffeehouses for free! They will be happy to give it off to you & save their garbage bags. Just bring a pail and they'll give it to you.

It is the best fertilizer for flowerbeds and gardens.

After a big party, wasted beer and wine can be saved and frozen. When you have problems with slugs, use the frozen wine/beer to "drown" the slugs. I usually put the leftover wine/beer in ice cube trays and put them in ziploc baggies. When I see a slug or two appear, I put a frozen cube on the area. Presto! It's gone.

Coffee grounds are perfect for grubs too as well. You can cut up a potato that has gone bad, cut it in 4 and put it on the lawn where the grubs are. Grubs will go crazy for the raw and starchy taste but will drown in it. Toss the potato in the compost.

The compost will naturally break down to fertilizer. Reuse the fertilizer in spring time, till the garden with compost. Make sure you till the garden again with compost when you have extracted all your vegetables before fall. This prepares the garden for hibernation, I hope all our experiences and tips helps.

Those ideas for the pepper, cans and pans, are going to be tried here. We didn't know about those.

Hope they do get rid of all our pests. :)

Those ideas for the pepper, cans and pans, are going to be tried here. We didn't know about those.

They will work, believe me.

Hubby and I just cannot wait to get our knees and hands dirty when we relocate to Thunder Bay, ON. (18 hours to be exact)

It's so beautiful there and a strong Native community which is what we want.

Wirelessly posted

Tousi said:

That would be a good start as radishes are ready for harvesting in a mere 30 days.

Aye, and at the time, they were the only veggies I would eat too.

Wonder if Thai chili peppers could be planted in containers as well. :hmm:

And shisho... Need to find seeds for those.

Wirelessly posted

Mrs Bucket said:

Hubby and I just cannot wait to get our knees and hands dirty when we relocate to Thunder Bay, ON. (18 hours to be exact)

It's so beautiful there and a strong Native community which is what we want.

Ooooh. I was suppose to grow up in Thunder Bay if mom haven't remarried.

It's so beautiful there and a strong Native community which is what we want.[/QUOT

And maybe Botti can, as a grand finale to her garden, ring the whole garden plot with some color.....marigolds are also known to help repel bugs.

It's so beautiful there and a strong Native community which is what we want.[/QUOT

And maybe Botti can, as a grand finale to her garden, ring the whole garden plot with some color.....marigolds are also known to help repel bugs.

Thank you Tousi. Will get some at the garden store tomorrow.

Mrs Bucket, wow that is pretty far north....wonder how/if this would limit what you can grow as its obvious the growing season further north is shortened???

souggy, interesting info about Thunder Bay!

Tousi, hubby and I will have a greenhouse. It will be a small one that we can use year round.

Yes it is quite far north & will shorten the growing season for us hence the need for the greenhouse. We will also use plastic sheets to preserve the natural elements of the garden & flowerbeds.

We've been preparing for our move slowly but surely (5 years or less) It's our permanent home. Toronto isn't permanent and the country girl in me misses the natural quiet.

I do!!!! Happy with my 48 tomato robust plants! :D

I'd love to visit there in thunder bay because of mrs bucket and one certain gal that you know who I am talking about. :D OOoOooOoO

I have a question for the pro gardeners in here. First let me explain my setup. I have tomatoes growing in pots. I am using very high quality soil in the pots and I use a combination of fox farm and GH nutrients. This is my first time growing tomatoes this way and I have one problem that I am unable to stop. The bottom of the tomatoes are turning black. Not all of them, about a third of them are. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

On the jalapeno plants I am getting peppers about as long as my hand. So I guess my problem is just the specifics of growing tomatoes

I have a question for the pro gardeners in here. First let me explain my setup. I have tomatoes growing in pots. I am using very high quality soil in the pots and I use a combination of fox farm and GH nutrients. This is my first time growing tomatoes this way and I have one problem that I am unable to stop. The bottom of the tomatoes are turning black. Not all of them, about a third of them are. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

On the jalapeno plants I am getting peppers about as long as my hand. So I guess my problem is just the specifics of growing tomatoes

What kind of tomatoes?

Wirelessly posted

Aye, and at the time, they were the only veggies I would eat too.

Wonder if Thai chili peppers could be planted in containers as well. :hmm:

And shisho... Need to find seeds for those.

Yep. Peppers of all kinds are great for container gardening.

The tag on them said they are a hybrid called big boys, I think. I started late so I bought plants at the store instead of seeds

Hmmmm...big boys are what I have this year. I chose them because they are what my dad always planted. But I'm not having the issues you are. I'm interested to know what is causing that.

Back