Loud noise exposure increases tumor risk

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Research suggests that prolonged exposure to loud noise increases the risk of acoustic neuroma, a benign tumor that grows in the nerve connecting the ear to the brain that is associated with hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and disequilibrium.

The only published study regarding noise and acoustic neuroma risk was limited by small size and its restriction to men only, Dr. Colin G. Edwards and colleagues note in their report, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology for February 15.

Edwards, from Ohio State University in Columbus, and colleagues at Karolinska Institute in Stockholm documented all patients diagnosed with acoustic neuroma between 1999 and 2002 in three geographic areas in Sweden. They interviewed 146 patients and 564 healthy control subjects regarding types and duration of loud noise exposure.

Exposure to loud noise, defined as that exceeding a level of 80 decibels, was associated with a marked increase in the odds of acoustic neuroma.

The categories associated with the highest risk were exposure to machines, power tools, and/or construction, and exposure to music, including employment in the music industry.

The authors observed that the risk associated with noise exposure was found in both men and women.

However, there was no risk associated with loud noise when hearing protection was used.

"The findings of an increased risk of acoustic neuroma with loud noise exposure support previous research," Edwards‘ group notes. They recommend additional research to validate self-reports of noise exposure and to examine the possibility of detection bias.

http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives/2006/02/loud_noise_expo.html

That's interesting. A friend of my mom's is going deaf in one ear from a tumor. I had never heard of that happening before. She was already HoH.

I told her that her friend should start learning sign ASAP, but she said that won't happen; her friend is in her 60's, and even if she did learn ASL, she wouldn't have anyone to sign with. How sad!

Wow, Thanks Alex!

I posted that up at the Hyperacusis Network. A lot of people who have brain surgery have various complications, one is noise sensitivity. Also over 40 drugs also cause hyperacusis which is an intolerance to noises. I got recruitment which is pretty much the same thing only with a hearing loss, which is why I just cannot tolerate wearing two hearing aids.

Actually many of the hearing aids I do try end up giving me horrible side effects, they really do! The one I wear now in my good ear is about 10 years old, and I have three hearing aid's just sitting in dry-aid kits. They don't make the hearing aid I wear anymore and the one that replaced it is sitting in my drawer. When this hearing aid dies I'am having a burial and a funeral for it, because after that I'll be in deep-do do.

Most people with hyperacusis (the board is at www.hyperacusis.net) are shunned by their families because it's quite an impossible thing to believe and for many of us it takes even our families over a decade to believe this thing is real, but for those of us with recruitment it's a double whammy when everybody still believes that yelling at you is a good idea!

But usually noise sensitivity is also related to mercury poisoning from flu shots and vaccinations, or a general sensitivity to electromagnetics and environmental sensitivies - it's all connected. And normally ENT's and Audiologists will never mention Hyperacusis, nor even admit any knowledge of it, yet ENT's all over the world every single day to experiments on noise intolerance with animals, and how sound affects the body is Physic's 101.

Anyway we do have tonnes of research on there if you visit our board.

I wish it was like this one! They sort of put a new board up 2 years ago, and it's just nothing in comparison like the old one.

Here's a good site about Dirty Pollution and Electro-Sensitivity (it makes a lot of sense when you realize how the ear tranmits sound into our brain):

http://www.stetzerelectric.com/filters/research/Havas_Stetzer_WHO04.pdf
We have assumed, until recently, that this form of energy is not biologically active. However, when Graham/Stetzer™ filters were installed in homes and schools, symptoms associated with electrical hypersensitivity (such as chronic fatigue, depression, headaches, body aches and pains, ringing in the ears, dizziness, impaired sleep, memory loss, and confusion) were reduced.
Cont. at site.

Loud music and MTV generation

The categories associated with the highest risk were exposure to machines, power tools, and/or construction, and exposure to music, including employment in the music industry.

I've noticed different musicians wearing ear plugs during TV appearances and have seen articles about the importance of minimizing exposure among the younger folks. Here's a link for one of them:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/60382

Back