Loss

Oceanbreeze, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dogs being sick , I know what you're going through about having to decide when it time to say goodbye to your dog. It was the most difficult decision I ever had to made putting my beloved dog down, he was going the same thing as your dog . And I knew he was in pain as he was starting to growl and bark at me as he thought I was hurting him.
I am really sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing as me.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Thank you SO much! It sucks.

Update:

We talked as a family and if Morgan is still alive in the morning, we'll take him into the vet to be put to sleep. We really think, though, he'll pass on his own some time tonight. He's not eaten all day today. He found a quiet place in Mom and Dad's bedroom where he's been sleeping most of today. It's become difficult for him to walk.

The puppy also senses something is wrong. He's been clingy and worrisome for the last few days. I didn't figure out why until the last day or so. He knew Morgan is dying and was trying to tell us. :( So, the pups know.

This is hard.

:hug: Dear friend, I'm tearing up as I type this too.

It hurts to see a friend hurt.

Hang in there. :ily:

I'm alright, Patty. Sad, but alright. Distraction has helped. Well, and the box of chocolates I polished off all by myself today! :aw: Don't worry. It was a small box. My T won't be pleased, but ah well.

It being Valentines Day, my parents bought me a small box of chocolates. That truly was appreciated.

hug.gif
OB!!

Reba, Patty, and everyone... Thank you! I really mean it. This is really hard to watch this unfold. Morgan has gotten restless in the last hr or so. When someone leaves the bedroom, he follows. I went to eat some dinner and Morgan was lying in the puppies doggie bed in the living room. Mom went to go back into the bedroom and Morgan followed. So, this is odd. He's weak, but still lucid. Once he gets to where he wants to be, though, he curls up and goes back to sleep.

I can understand now why the decision to put a pet to sleep would be made more difficult when it seems that your pet is still trying to hang on. I thought he was near comatose earlier, but he isn't. I guess we'll see how he does through the night and see where we stand in the morning. He doesn't have much energy, though. He's not eating. But, seems to still know us and wants the comfort of someone near him.

Reba, Patty, and everyone... Thank you! I really mean it. This is really hard to watch this unfold. Morgan has gotten restless in the last hr or so. When someone leaves the bedroom, he follows. I went to eat some dinner and Morgan was lying in the puppies doggie bed in the living room. Mom went to go back into the bedroom and Morgan followed. So, this is odd. He's weak, but still lucid. Once he gets to where he wants to be, though, he curls up and goes back to sleep.

I can understand now why the decision to put a pet to sleep would be made more difficult when it seems that your pet is still trying to hang on. I thought he was near comatose earlier, but he isn't. I guess we'll see how he does through the night and see where we stand in the morning. He doesn't have much energy, though. He's not eating. But, seems to still know us and wants the comfort of someone near him.

My dog Finlay was the same way, he would follow me around the room with his eyes and hated to be alone . I knew he would cry like hell if I left home to going shopping and when I was getting out of the car Finlay poked me the back with his nose to let me know he wanted to going into the store too!
This was the last time I when shopping with him and now I hate to shopping as I feel like a huge part of me is missing.
I really feel your pain and I am so sorry you have to going thought this. It really is so hard watching a your best friend die. I slept on the couch one night wearing my clothes so I would be ready to take Finlay out if he needed to pee. I kept and socks in my living room too , as Finlay had to go out a lot at the end. Our pets really take over our hearts and move right in
and when they do go it leave a big hole in your heart! :hug:

My dog Finlay was the same way, he would follow me around the room with his eyes and hated to be alone . I knew he would cry like hell if I left home to going shopping and when I was getting out of the car Finlay poked me the back with his nose to let me know he wanted to going into the store too!
This was the last time I when shopping with him and now I hate to shopping as I feel like a huge part of me is missing.
I really feel your pain and I am so sorry you have to going thought this. It really is so hard watching a your best friend die. I slept on the couch one night wearing my clothes so I would be ready to take Finlay out if he needed to pee. I kept and socks in my living room too , as Finlay had to go out a lot at the end. Our pets really take over our hearts and move right in
and when they do go it leave a big hole in your heart! :hug:

Morgan isn't able to bark or make any noise anymore. The cancer spread to places that it's affecting his ability to vocalize. He can't bark or whimper. Not sure where the tumor is, but either his lungs or maybe even in his larynx. This poor dog is riddled with cancer. :( For being so so so sick, he did well for a good while. We attribute this to the cancer being so slow growing. Vet said it took a good while for things to reach this point. It's likely that Morgan had cancer upwards of 10 yrs ago, but wasn't showing signs or symptoms of being sick until the cancer advanced (two years ago).

Morgan is at the stage where he is afraid to be alone; frightened to pass away alone.

He grew up with you all in his life and it's quite natural he wants to be in all of your presence to pass away.

It is always the hardest because when you receive a puppy, they give so much joy and when they leave, we experience so much grief.

:hug:

Morgan isn't able to bark or make any noise anymore. The cancer spread to places that it's affecting his ability to vocalize. He can't bark or whimper. Not sure where the tumor is, but either his lungs or maybe even in his larynx. This poor dog is riddled with cancer. :( For being so so so sick, he did well for a good while. We attribute this to the cancer being so slow growing. Vet said it took a good while for things to reach this point. It's likely that Morgan had cancer upwards of 10 yrs ago, but wasn't showing signs or symptoms of being sick until the cancer advanced (two years ago).

Man I hate CANCER! Finlay started to pee more often in 2008 and I had his urine tested and it show nothing wrong with him. Then he started to refuse to eat his food, and I thought he was being fussy and I kept trying new food, he was vomiting off and on. I finally realize he was really sick when he pee was red! I did notice Finlay having a strange odd just before he starting to pee blood! There where so many signs that everyone miss. I wish I had had the vet do further testing to see why Finaly was pissing more. :(
It sound like your dog has the same kind of cancer my Finlay had!!
This so sad to read your beloved dog is going through the same thing!
And it really SUCK! I really can feel your pain , from going through it too!
There shoud be a support groups of people the lost their beloved pets.
This call for a :grouphug:!

Man I hate CANCER! Finlay started to pee more often in 2008 and I had his urine tested and it show nothing wrong with him. Then he started to refuse to eat his food, and I thought he was being fussy and I kept trying new food, he was vomiting off and on. I finally realize he was really sick when he pee was red! I did notice Finlay having a strange odd just before he starting to pee blood! There where so many signs that everyone miss. I wish I had had the vet do further testing to see why Finaly was pissing more. :(
It sound like your dog has the same kind of cancer my Finlay had!!
This so sad to read your beloved dog is going through the same thing!
And it really SUCK! I really can feel your pain , from going through it too!
There shoud be a support groups of people the lost their beloved pets.
This call for a :grouphug:!

Not the same kind, but yes, it was slow growing.

Update: Morgan is still alive; barely. We made the vet appt to put him to sleep for tomorrow afternoon. This is agonizing. :(

The puppies are anxious. They know something is wrong. Mom says they can smell death on Morgan. The really sucky part is that I'll be alone tomorrow afternoon. It's a crazy day and my parents have lots going on. It would have also been Morgan's 14th birthday. Life and death on the same day. Lovely.

I'll be OK; though. I have to be.

Last edited:
Holding you, and your family (all of them - even the furry ones), in my thoughts.

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. You know you can reach me to talk with me anytime.

My love to you, my dear. OXOX

Back