Looking to help the deaf community in Humboldt County

Abby

Reaction score
I am from Northern California, and I have looked through the internet to find some kind of "silent supper" or "deaf club" in Humboldt, but I have been unsuccessful.

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can get in contact with how I can help the deaf community in Humboldt, I just need to know how to start.

Thank you very much,

Abby

Off-hand, I will guess that there are very few deaf folks in Humboldt, correct?

Thank you for replying, by the way.

And I really could not tell you approximately how many deaf people there are in Eureka. We are a relativley small town- about 40,000 people.

And I just really don't know how to get involved in the deaf community. But i guess here is a good place to start, right? I hope.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. First question that I want to ask you is are you Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Hearing? If you are new to the Deaf Communities, best advice is to go to the California Hearing Society where they will give you information on finding deaf people in Humboldt. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. You will learn a lot from us (Deaf and HOH) going through with our experience in the Deaf Communities and Hearing Communities, too. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf! :) Hopefully there will be someone who can answer to your question about Deaf Community in a small town.

I am from Northern California, and I have looked through the internet to find some kind of "silent supper" or "deaf club" in Humboldt, but I have been unsuccessful.

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can get in contact with how I can help the deaf community in Humboldt, I just need to know how to start.

Thank you very much,

Abby
Hey Abby,

I am neither Deaf or hard of hearing. I am an ASL student in the area. If you are looking to possibly connect with some Deaf folk in the community maybe you could start with the yahoo group: Humboldt_ASL@yahoogroups.com

Local signing socials are listed on the board.

Good luck!

~artemisia

Artemesia and Abby,

I'm Erik and I'm an ASL student in Los Angeles. I'm actually transferring up to Humboldt State in a year and was inquiring about the very same thing! I emailed a few faculty from HSU and learned that they only offer 1-2 courses in ASL. I'm currently taking ASL 102 and am going to take 103 next semester. Maybe we can all meet up and sign together when I'm up there!

Woohoo, so excited!

Hi! I lived in Humbolt county in the 70's! It was a tiny town called Whitethorn . I wonder what it looks like now. It was so beautiful there!
What it is like in Humbolt county now? It was really wild when I lived in Whitethorn ! I was living in a chicken coop with out the chicken! Iwas living in a cabin deep in the woods but the road started to wash away and cars could not drive on it. When I went to check out the cabin , I saw a deer drinking water from a waterfall . It was water running off a cliff and it made a small waterfall !

Omg, Whatdidyousay, can people really live in cabins in the forest? I've always wanted to do that! Is it cheap?!

Humboldt really is beautiful!

Back