looking for recent hybrid CI news

Well, had the appointment yesterday and was ran through a bunch of hearing test. Turns out I am a candidate for both hybrid and full CI.

I believe I will go with the hybrid for a couple reasons. 1) Surgeon recommended this
2)He told me I would have more of a natural hearing 3) with my steady audiograms staying the same over the past ten years he believes I would retain my low frequencies I have.

I learned that only cochlear offers the hybrid and I believe that was mentioned in above post. So it looks like I will be going with that company. I still need to do a lot of research on this vs the full CI. The hybrid has only been approved for approximately 6 months so there is not a lot of feedback from users.

kinda nervous but excited ....

Well, had the appointment yesterday and was ran through a bunch of hearing test. Turns out I am a candidate for both hybrid and full CI.

I believe I will go with the hybrid for a couple reasons. 1) Surgeon recommended this
2)He told me I would have more of a natural hearing 3) with my steady audiograms staying the same over the past ten years he believes I would retain my low frequencies I have.

I learned that only cochlear offers the hybrid and I believe that was mentioned in above post. So it looks like I will be going with that company. I still need to do a lot of research on this vs the full CI. The hybrid has only been approved for approximately 6 months so there is not a lot of feedback from users.

kinda nervous but excited ....

It's your decision, but I think your surgeon is wrong about the outcome of your surgery based on the only available technology to go that route. :D. I just hate to see you end up in a situation where you regret your decision.

http://cochlearimplanthelp.com/

Has your Audi talked at all about the full CI that uses the new super skinny electrode?

The new skinny electrode they have is so small it supposedly allows a lot of the low frequency hearing to be retained.

Did your surgeon clarify how much of your low frequency hearing that he would expect you to retain? How much low frequency hearing are you starting with now, pre-implant?

I had stable hearing/audiograms for 20+ years with hearing aids, and one day, it just went poof. My high frequency hearing recovered to a point at one time, but my low frequency hearing never recovered after several sudden hearing loss episodes.

Again, it's your decision, but even with stable audiograms lasting years, things can take a turn out of nowhere when we least expect it.

I really appreciate you help guys!

What are the pros and cons for you with your implants?

How does your hearing sound now? Is it like a robot talking?

I really wish there were some hybrid users that could share too. It would be nice to hear the other side give some advice too.

I really appreciate you help guys!

What are the pros and cons for you with your implants?

How does your hearing sound now? Is it like a robot talking?

I really wish there were some hybrid users that could share too. It would be nice to hear the other side give some advice too.

Pretty much everyone starts out with the robot sounds. It does take some time to adapt, however, with the better technology available in the other two implants, after a few months, your hearing should sound pretty normal, especially with your hearing history. There are times when my hearing is still a bit funky, but that is a PROGRAMMING issue...and we are working on that. Some of that was because my previous audi was not willing to try some different things. My new audi has done amazing changes in just one appointment but for the most part, 99% of the time things sound completely normal. I can't say that for the Cochlear users I know, thus the push away from the hybrid. Again, I went from 30% AZ Bio scores with my HA's to 100% AZ Bio. My only con is I wish I did this sooner.

I can hear birds chirp outside closed windows and tell what KIND of bird is chirping, rain sounds like rain and not frying bacon. I hear parts of songs I didn't know were there or haven't heard in years because my hearing aids didn't pick up those sounds. I can hear the timer go off on my stove--something I couldn't hear AT ALL with my HA's. I couldn't hear fire truck sirens coming up behind me at all until they were right there, now I can hear them from a distance and know to pull over when driving. I don't have the volume on my car radio set at 45 any longer, it's at 15. I can sit in my family room and watch and UNDERSTAND tv without any assistive devices. It's just a whole new life.

One example, I was at an event and another woman had Cochlear CI's. We were sitting next to each other, listening to the same people talk and she couldn't understand anything going on at all. She had had her CI's for about 6 years, I had mine for 2 months. I understood everything and was translating for her. She had sudden loss and was implanted within a month of loss so she had a good hearing history....but the technology just prevented a better outcome for her.

Read the information on that link, especially look at the comparison charts. They don't have the hybrid on there but you will see what we are saying.

While Cochlear definitely has limitations compared to AB and Med El and I'm certainly not a fan of them at all, it's a stretch to say that none of their users experience natural sounding hearing.. to them. You have star and poor performers among all brands. You also have users of all brands pointing to the other brands saying "oh, so and so with this brand can't hear." This is misinformed and borders on propaganda, of which I am less a fan of than Cochlear.

The website above is an excellent, factual resource for learning about these implants and their capabilities. The more you truly know the more you'll understand the negativity towards Cochlear and their marketing. The company counts on your ignorance and uses fear tactics.

As for your question; my hearing is natural sounding and I never had robots. I was one of the lucky ones that had actual speech and sound right at activation. I was expecting robots, mickey mouse, and beeps so much that I was astounded at the leap straight to hearing as if I had just put on a new hearing aid with advanced capabilities.

I was afraid of losing music even though I chose Advanced Bionics to give me the best chance at enjoyable music. AB certainly delivered by giving me great sounding music that expanded my musical taste beyond what it already was. It was a lot of fun catching up on all that I had missed over the years and revisiting songs that I had not heard since the 70s!

The telephone, which I had hated through my teens and 20s due to my inability to use it, is now something I use without thinking about it. I can drive and not have to take my eyes off the road to look at my passenger.

My CI let me be me. I no longer avoid large social gatherings or fear talking to someone I do not know that could easily lead to an uncomfortable exchange with a lot of "whut?" It's easy to forget I'm even deaf.

If there are any negatives; it's difficult to think of them as such because of all the good that comes with my CI. I prefer using the small rechargeable batteries to keep the processor as small and light as possible, so I switch between two batteries per day when using those. I can use the longer rechargeable to get more than a full day with no need to change batteries.

If there is a negative, it might be the loop on the ComPilot for wireless connectivity. It would be nice to have no gateway device or no loop, but I wouldn't trade any of those for lesser technology that offers no loop. I also do not use wireless for phone calls, so I am not dependent on having the gateway device with me, loop or no loop. I simply use my Tmic, which is located at the ear canal where sound is collected naturally by the ear and then picked up by the mic.

The internal device is the most important part of the system. Processors and their accessories will come and go over the years while the internal stays the same. All devices are reliable within a 2 percent range, though one of them likes to present that range on a chart that makes it appear as if the difference is drastic. Fear tactics, indeed.

What Bleeding Purist and HOH ME said are the kind of things that really piss me off. Because I'm bilateral, spent 2 years in research studies at Cochlear have had almost 200 current maps and still can't heat in noise or understand music. I'm headed to cochlear HQ to get my new N6's mapped in 2 weeks. I better have a big improvement or I'm gonna be really bad mouthing Cochlear. Doesn't help my surgeon put the 2nd implant about 7 electrodes length too deep. Can't afford to get that second implant fixed with another surgery. Wind noise wipes out all my hearing and even quiet conversation is difficult depending on the speaker.

That really Sucks bro.....sign will (refer to my sig)

Sorry to hear that southpaw!

I am really on the fence about this. I do love my compilot now!

I was told the hybrid would leave me with more natural sounds. It is one of the main selling points. It is good to hear that the AB gives you that with the full CI.

I was told the hybrid would leave me with more natural sounds. It is one of the main selling points. It is good to hear that the AB gives you that with the full CI.

The reason they tell you that is because all CIs are limited on their insertion depth. Low frequencies are located at the apex of the cochlea where the array cannot reach. This is where low frequency residual hearing comes in.

AB is also working on a hybrid implant. Their current Mid Scala is designed to preserve the cochlear structure and increase the chance of retaining residual hearing. Users are actually using a hearing aid alongside their processor to get the hybrid effect. Ultimately, their will be a hybrid processor available.

When you go full electrical, your brain makes uses of the harmonics of lower frequencies to present them as bass, so many don't even notice the difference once they acclimate. I was quite concerned about the low frequency limitation and was pleasantly surprised at the reality.

What Bleeding Purist and HOH ME said are the kind of things that really piss me off. Because I'm bilateral, spent 2 years in research studies at Cochlear have had almost 200 current maps and still can't heat in noise or understand music. I'm headed to cochlear HQ to get my new N6's mapped in 2 weeks. I better have a big improvement or I'm gonna be really bad mouthing Cochlear. Doesn't help my surgeon put the 2nd implant about 7 electrodes length too deep. Can't afford to get that second implant fixed with another surgery. Wind noise wipes out all my hearing and even quiet conversation is difficult depending on the speaker.

There are so many variables involved influencing your experience. The botched 2nd implant is one aspect. The possibility is there for good results and I do hope you find a way to get them. You do need to wear your processor full-time and do rehab without any visual cues. Perhaps the wireless accessories for the N6 will help you with that.

Was there ever a time you were able to do the things you can't now? I just recently read complaints from a woman about the N5 not offering the same or as good of sound quality as her 3G Esprit.

That really Sucks bro.....sign will (refer to my sig)
BTW, I'm already fluent in ASL. Have a degree Deaf Studies too. But my family and world and best future career opportunities depend on working CI's.

BTW, I'm already fluent in ASL. Have a degree Deaf Studies too. But my family and world and best future career opportunities depend on working CI's.

Its great your fluent in our language. As for depending on a techbology created and sold by mulit nationals for profit, which it should be noted resemble in many ways the parmacuetical industry, i think needs to be honestly.looked at. thus is one plm. this dependence and manifacturing, marketing, and selling of the idea of dependence makes one more a captive rather then free.
you already know sign..how often do you use it as your languge at home? thats the power of it.signs only limit, is that of the human mind and will. I cant think of anything more powerfull the human mind...as for a better carreer, so on, thats just using ingrained hearie world discriminition as an excuse for implants and assimilition.
You have a degree is deaf studies..cool...im sure our ideas arent as far off as they seem to be.. it sucks your going through all the bs, re cochlears, many many deaf who got implnted found out it was just a pipe dream, for what its worth

Last edited:
The only con about my CI is not getting it sooner.

At my activation, all human speech sounded like human speech. It was very crisp and clear. Although some people were off in pitch at first, nothing face to face sounded like robots talking.

When I walked into stores with a lot of people talking, at first it was difficult to understand everything that was being said, and that speech had a sort of high pitched quality to it. That's because I hadn't heard well in those environments for quite some time, but after a few months, that went away and all speech and sound quality normalized in those environments.

In quiet, I have no difficulty.

I go to a climbing gym which gets quite busy often. I can have a conversation with 3 other people while we are climbing in a group while everyone is talking and loud music is playing. I can hear my climber shout "coming down" from the top of the rock wall in all that noise while I am belaying. I can also hear stuff going on in all that noise that my friends can't hear, like screwing my carabiner, the sound rope makes while it's moving through my belay device- yet I can still hold a conversation with other people. In fact last night, there were probably 30 or 40 people lined up along the bouldering wall. There were several other people standing around the higher roped climbing walls, people in the weight area, cardio area, etc. I was climbing with 2 other people and in the midst of all that going on I was able to follow conversation about the routes we were trying, what was difficult about them, how they were structured, the moves that would be good to employ, etc.

In restaurants and at large social gatherings I can isolate different people's voices and understand them as well. I have no difficulty moving from one conversation in one place to another conversation going on in a different part of the room when moving around. The sound of utensils, glasses, and plates and other random sounds that you would expect to hear in a restaurant are things that I can hear, but they don't interfere with my ability to participate in conversation either.

In places with a lot of noise, a lot of hearing people ask me to say things again to them because they have more difficulty with the noise than myself. It's like the reverse, instead of me having to ask someone several times to repeat themselves, now I often have to tell my friends when we are in noisy places that they need to go see an audiologist.

At my office, I can hear and understand people talk from their cubicles a good 15-20 feet away from me & behind me, and that includes regular office noise in the background (keyboards, phones, printers, etc). I have the urge to tell them to shut up sometimes because they can be so loud! I think they forget that I can hear them now, lol.

I probably could have been back at work the following week, being able to participate in meetings. I no longer have to depend on a captioned phone, or subtitles on Netflix. I talk on my iPhone and the t-mic allows me to hold my phone up to my ear like anyone else does. It doesn't matter where I am, I can use it in a restaurant, on a busy street, in a supermarket, at home, or hands-free in my car if using bluetooth.

I listen to music through my bluetooth, my iPod, my car stereo, and my computer speakers alone. I have so many options and I can choose whatever set-up I want for music listening depending on how I feel or what I am doing. I hear a great deal of the written music score, not just the main parts. My hearing aids could never detect certain sounds that my implant can. I was happily surprised when I turned on music after my activation, on activation day. It wasn't like it sounded like a fog horn as I heard one person describe it. Although not everything was there, that was due to programming limitations early on. I could tell it was the song that it was, with some instruments and vocals there, and others being missing. I worked with my audiologist on this and over a few weeks we increased my IDR and raised the volume in a few different frequencies, and everything in music that I listened to sounded very balanced and colorful within a month.

Outside, I can hear the birds sing. I can tell that the birds are different kinds based on their vocal patterns. I can hear things going on inside from outside and vice versa. I am able to hear some sounds through glass, which is kind of amazing. I can hear myself wheeze when I am sick. I never knew what that sounded like or what that meant, so it was pointless for the advice nurse to ask if I had any wheezing
when I was feeling sick. Now I know and can answer that question appropriately!

I don't think that I retained any residual hearing after a few months of using my CI. Initially after surgery yes, but the CI became dominant. However, the brain does it's thing and my M levels in the lower frequencies as far as the electrode reaches need to be higher for me, but given that I don't feel that I am missing crucial low frequency information.

I use two smaller batteries during the day because I like the lighter weight, but I also have the option of using disposeable batteries, a larger rechargeable battery, or powering both of my processors on AAA batteries. I enjoy using my completely waterproof one for swimming and whitewater rafting.

Wow, You are getting me excited for this! We have had a lot of the same problems.

I don't talk on phone much and prefer texting, I give my wife my phone all the time when something is important.

Wow, You are getting me excited for this! We have had a lot of the same problems.

I don't talk on phone much and prefer texting, I give my wife my phone all the time when something is important.

everlastingstorm has an Advanced Bionics inplant and the ComPilot that you reported liking with your aids is one of the accessories that can be used with an AB inplant.

I used to do that too....I no longer have to though :D

The compilot is nice but I rarely use it any more, just don't need to. I do use it if I'm watching a movie on my computer and hubs is watching something on TV. I use my Neptune when I work out and connect my Ipad to my Neptune. It works like headphones then so I'm not disturbing anyone else. There is a lot of great technology to be had with Advanced Bionics :D.

yes, the ComPilot from Phonak can be use with the new AB processors (Naida CIs).

I have AB implants myself and use the ComPilot. I mostly use the Compilot with my iPod for music listening, and have used it with the Phonak FM unit at times in class. Works well.

I also use my iPod shuffle with regular earbuds. That I can do because of the t-mic and my music program uses the t-mic as its microphone source. I've also plugged my earbuds into the airplane seat and watched a movie while flying.

I find that my ComPilot- which can be used with Phonak hearing aids- gives me somewhat more fullness when listening to music, but I enjoy both sources depending on what I am doing.

Back