'Live' Question

Ummm I went to Shindler Baptist Church 2 or 3 times...(Jax, Fla,)...had a hard time understanding the sermon & choir being signed...but I appreciate the effort that was being made!....Dunno if you were one of the hearing signers or not (?)

No, my church is a tiny Methodist church. (FtCUMC) We use power point for the sermon.

Tsk. I have an ASD. That is not a reason for limited sign vocabulary.

It affects everyone different, who is going to sit with me and help make my hands/arms move the right way? - still pictures (sign books) are useless (to me) and watching a movie (example ASLPro) will remind my if I know the sign already but if I don't I won't be able to do it- I'll be able to -read/understand- but not so much do properly... and I always want to do everything perfect... I'm interested and able to work hard but the 'ease of use' fails without real people. (then we add to that that I misread social cues and am socially awkward and then it really gets complicated quick.)

I'm thinking I do/read, besides 'indicative' signs and 'natural signs' (according to a book)

(him, her, you, I, choking, what time, object that is in view, direction that is in view, numbers- etc)

I have 50-100 +/- (counting opposites that I could come up with quickly).

However I read better then I sign, took a quiz (ASLPro) and missed, "allen screw" and "goat"( I learned a wrong one for goat somebody taught me "old-cow" I hate it when that happens!). I also missed "state fair" but the lady doing the sign is really grumpy looking. That gave me a 70% which is not good (7 correct of 10).

Took another and got 28/30 correct, missed "bridesmaids"(I said caterer) and "Jacket-school"(I said Tribute). I watch w/o looking at the answers till its done, I thought 'dance hat' for 'party hat' and 'bad dice' for 'gamble'.

So I guess I could learn (to read) all (no not all) of the sings available online but I'd never do them confidently w/o someone checking me and letting me know if I am doing it right.

Mostly because I got laughed at a lot when doing my best as a kid to communicate with someone.

No, my church is a tiny Methodist church. (FtCUMC) We use power point for the sermon.

It affects everyone different, who is going to sit with me and help make my hands/arms move the right way? - still pictures (sign books) are useless (to me) and watching a movie (example ASLPro) will remind my if I know the sign already but if I don't I won't be able to do it- I'll be able to -read/understand- but not so much do properly... and I always want to do everything perfect... I'm interested and able to work hard but the 'ease of use' fails without real people. (then we add to that that I misread social cues and am socially awkward and then it really gets complicated quick.)

I'm thinking I do/read, besides 'indicative' signs and 'natural signs' (according to a book)

(him, her, you, I, choking, what time, object that is in view, direction that is in view, numbers- etc)

I have 50-100 +/- (counting opposites that I could come up with quickly).

However I read better then I sign, took a quiz (ASLPro) and missed, "allen screw" and "goat"( I learned a wrong one for goat somebody taught me "old-cow" I hate it when that happens!). I also missed "state fair" but the lady doing the sign is really grumpy looking. That gave me a 70% which is not good (7 correct of 10).

Took another and got 28/30 correct, missed "bridesmaids"(I said caterer) and "Jacket-school"(I said Tribute). I watch w/o looking at the answers till its done, I thought 'dance hat' for 'party hat' and 'bad dice' for 'gamble'.

So I guess I could learn (to read) all (no not all) of the sings available online but I'd never do them confidently w/o someone checking me and letting me know if I am doing it right.

Mostly because I got laughed at a lot when doing my best as a kid to communicate with someone.

A teacher at your local deaf center will move your hands and arms until you can form the sign. That is how I learned many signs I know.

Sometimes hearing people think that a signed song somehow makes it more meaningful with increased impact even though they have no idea what is being signed.

Yes that's it, and usually the signs for the words used in songs are 'pretty' I have no idea what her motives are I do know I was still hacked off about being put on the spot like that. They are going to assume I am signing the exact words, but there's not enough time in the song for that.

(to your second post)

You might be right about that too- I might still want to print it up to have material to look at.

Hey, I'm new. *wave* I'm a linguistics student and I've browsed these forums before. I hope you don't mind me participating in the conversation.

I was just going to say, about the girl with ASD, it is possible that vocabulary is harder for her (or any second language) if her primary language is English, because ASL is a social language (in the sense that you use expressions to indicate certain meanings or differentiation) and someone with ASD would have a harder time understanding those cues and just aid to their nervousness. Not to mention when learning a new language, the girl would have to first think in English and then translate it to ASL.

But someone who acquires ASL as a first language and has ASD would have an upper hand over Hearing ASDs...in both language and social inferences. This has been tested before and the theory is that if you are HoH, you would naturally study facial patterns, and this tends to give ASL speakers with ASD the upper hand. :)

finally, I think the girl learning ASL is trying to be helpful and open, even if she has misguided gestures. Keep in mind that most people who are not HoH (if not all) had their first encounter with ASL (or SEE or whathaveyou) from a hearing person -- sometimes kind intentions get, well, lost in translation.

hah, what a way to introduce myself! :P

Back