little help and a little about me ....

Wolf_Mother

Reaction score
Hi i am new here and i tried diff. "deaf chats" but, they didnt work very well im hoping to get a better experience here. i did get a hearing test done and it came out to be HH and i do know ASL but, there's so much more to know about it! im hoping to know someone who would like to practice ......and if anyone knows if you are HH will it get worse (to were you don't hear at all) or will it stay like it is?? please if you have anything ....it will help and ill be grateful :)

Thanks! :) .......do YOU know if it'll go from Hard of Hearing to profoundly deaf?! were you born deaf? (hope you don't mind me asking)

Hi i am new here and i tried diff. "deaf chats" but, they didnt work very well im hoping to get a better experience here. i did get a hearing test done and it came out to be HH and i do know ASL but, there's so much more to know about it! im hoping to know someone who would like to practice ......and if anyone knows if you are HH will it get worse (to were you don't hear at all) or will it stay like it is?? please if you have anything ....it will help and ill be grateful :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. If you are new to hearing loss and wondered if you are thinking of losing more hearing loss later. I feel that you would remain Hard Of Hearing for a long time (rest of your life) unless you start to lose your hearing more in future time. Then, yeah, you will become deaf in terms of decibels of how much hearing loss you lose.

I think you will have to go through hearing test once a year to find out how much you have lost. You will have a lot to learn about deafness and Deaf Culture here on AD. I hope you can stay and learn here.

Enjoy reading and posting here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. If you are new to hearing loss and wondered if you are thinking of losing more hearing loss later. I feel that you would remain Hard Of Hearing for a long time (rest of your life) unless you start to lose your hearing more in future time. Then, yeah, you will become deaf in terms of decibels of how much hearing loss you lose.

I think you will have to go through hearing test once a year to find out how much you have lost. You will have a lot to learn about deafness and Deaf Culture here on AD. I hope you can stay and learn here.

Enjoy reading and posting here. :wave:

Thank you so much! i would LOVE to know/learn more about it ......but, i haven't found anyone who could teach me more.... i do know ASL but, its probably considered to be a small amount compared to all the signs out there! i also taught my kids ASL but, its only the words WE use day to day within the family i think the way deaf ppl have amazing things to help them out (if i said that with NO offence :l ) like blinking lights for a door bell and things like that! its amazing to me and i do want to know more!

Thanks! :) .......do YOU know if it'll go from Hard of Hearing to profoundly deaf?! were you born deaf? (hope you don't mind me asking)

Your welcome.
As to yoir question i csnt awsner that, yoir ent, and adioogist needs to see you and test you so on.
As for me.
I was born hearie, got lucky and.became Deaf at 9, thenbto Deafie resedentiaL gov school, then gally..
Us Deaf embrace and see Deaf as bieng a gift not a curse...
Sign will set you free girl....

What part of city or town are you from in Arizona? If you live in a big city like Phoenix, then you would be able to find Deaf community or Deaf events. Did you take ASL class there? If so, then the Deaf teacher should let you know where to find Deaf events for you to enjoy being with Deaf Adults.

Hi.i like your name.as for your question I can add no more than Beb that best advice.stay with us it is nice forum and I not yank.i proberly the worse speller on here I think took people sometime to decipher what I write I think they still do.get an Audi I don't think you lose all sound your Audi should explain hope you got one.What cause your deafness if know reason you get better idea

Your welcome.
As to yoir question i csnt awsner that, yoir ent, and adioogist needs to see you and test you so on.
As for me.
I was born hearie, got lucky and.became Deaf at 9, thenbto Deafie resedentiaL gov school, then gally..
Us Deaf embrace and see Deaf as bieng a gift not a curse...
Sign will set you free girl....

i also dont see it as a curse .....sometimes with the stuff ppl say about hearing loss or deaf ppl makes me so made like they CAN'T write or drive! you dont really need ears to drive or write they are smart ppl!!! but, any ways honestly i was scared at first....but, i know ASL and i dont hang out with ppl alot so then i asked myself "why be scared? I know ASL so i wont lose communication with my family" now i'm ok with it SOMETIMES its great NOT to hear everything! lol :) i do hope to meet someone who at least know ASL that's in my area

Wolf Mother, how long have you been hard of hearing, were you born that way, developed a loss later in life? Do you wear hearing aids, or do you plan to wear aids? Yes, you will lose more hearing as the years go on, and probably will be profound. It will help you to use hearing aids, as they will keep your brain stimulated and therefore keep your hearing active for a longer length of time. Then of course there is the cochlear implant that will enable you to hear to some degree for the rest of your life.

Wishing you all the best.

Wolf Mother, how long have you been hard of hearing, were you born that way, developed a loss later in life? Do you wear hearing aids, or do you plan to wear aids? Yes, you will lose more hearing as the years go on, and probably will be profound. It will help you to use hearing aids, as they will keep your brain stimulated and therefore keep your hearing active for a longer length of time. Then of course there is the cochlear implant that will enable you to hear to some degree for the rest of your life.

Thank you sooo very much! i was born hearing fine for all my life (so far) then about 6 months ago my husband noticed me turning up the TV or music too loud...so we got it checked out and just last month we found out we dont really know why - the doc....that gave me the hearing test said its more in likely nerve damage inside the ear that does SOUND ...but, we dont know how/why this is

Just to let Wolf_Mother know that if she become deaf permanently (100% deaf) and if she can become a candidate for CI (Cochlear Implant). This will be her decision if she want it or not. Sometime hearing aid(s) can help with environment sounds but may not be able to pick up words. If she has mild hearing loss, then she can hear well enough with hearing aid, I think. :hmm:

What part of city or town are you from in Arizona? If you live in a big city like Phoenix, then you would be able to find Deaf community or Deaf events. Did you take ASL class there? If so, then the Deaf teacher should let you know where to find Deaf events for you to enjoy being with Deaf Adults.

i taught my self ASL using a book and the internet....and we live in sierra vista

Thank you so much everyone! i never felt so welcomed! :) i think i'll stay here! the doc did say hearing aids will help but, they have to be programmed ones so they are VERY high in price for us :l they said $3,000 EACH so we are using ASL or they talk REALLY loud we choose NOT to tell anyone because i dont want to be treated any diff. .....im also trying to lip read....thats hard to do! specially when they look away :(

Thank you sooo very much! i was born hearing fine for all my life (so far) then about 6 months ago my husband noticed me turning up the TV or music too loud...so we got it checked out and just last month we found out we dont really know why - the doc....that gave me the hearing test said its more in likely nerve damage inside the ear that does SOUND ...but, we dont know how/why this is

I lost my hearing later in life too, I was 18 years old and the loss was due to an antibiotic that I was taking for a bout of pneumonia. I continued to lose more being unaware that I was hoh until family members said it was time to have my hearing checked out. I started with the hearing aids then, have been wearing them for over 40 yrs. I'm at the profound loss now at age 72. I do not plan to get an implant.

Hey i do have another question.....SOMETIMES it feels like my ears (both) "turn off" (can't really hear anything not even MY voice) what is this? it happens for like 1 min (i never timed it) ...then back to norm. at random times

Wolf mother...you need ci like a hole in the head....
Dont do it...

The drill is not the awnser.....
Sign is the awnser......

Hey i do have another question.....SOMETIMES it feels like my ears (both) "turn off" (can't really hear anything not even MY voice) what is this? it happens for like 1 min (i never timed it) ...then back to norm. at random times

That tells me you need to see an ear doctor, an ENT. It could be any number of causes some more serious than others. You could google intermittent hearing loss.

I agree , I am not able to wear a HA in my right ear anymore and my audi said I should try to wear my HA so I will not lose more hearing in my right ear. I have already lost more hearing in it. And this effect my balance wearing only one HA. Everyone is difference and may lose more hearing faster than someone else. My sister and her husband lost some from old age. They both been hearing all their life.
Wolf mother , I like your username too , as you can see I love wolves too.

Back