Lip-reader

wearyone

Reaction score
Hello I am a deaf lip-reader. Deaf for 45 yrs and never bothered to learn ASL. Signs may be better for talking with the deaf but you can get by better in life reading lips.

Hello I am a deaf lip-reader. Deaf for 45 yrs and never bothered to learn ASL. Signs may be better for talking with the deaf but you can get by better in life reading lips.

Thanks for sharing that!

Wearyone, Perhaps you would be less weary if you learned ASL and didn't have to rely on lipreading all the time.:dunno:

Wirelessly posted

Each to it's own. I do both. Lip reading and ASL. At work I rely on lip reading and hearing aids and when I am with hearing people. With my deaf friends, I use ASL. submerged in a world of many types of people.

My lipreading life realllllly sucked! Life has gotten sooo much better since learning ASL. I would say I got better by learning ASL instead of lipreading. Too my guesswork for me. No thanks...

My eyes and concentration really took a beating with lip-reading for many, many years....It's great when someone does know some ASL at times....

I agree with Rockin Robin..Lip reading is hard to get into ,but asl is better.. I cant watch TV cause cant read the caption and watch the show. so I have to hope they will play it again so I cant really watch. and know what is going on. They turn their back to many times in movie and shows. And it is hard to know what is going on. But I have lip read out in public but that can be frustrating too. I hope you will try and learn both . do you have friends or family that use asl ?

My eyes and concentration really took a beating with lip-reading for many, many years....It's great when someone does know some ASL at times....

Me too! I come home with headaches all the time. I am still learining ASL. I started losing my hearing about 5 years ago and as it gets worse, now I rely on lip reading a whole lot. It really does hurt your eyes and concentration. I find it exhasting, but necessary. I'm glad I am pretty good at it though. Once more tool in my box.

I find lipreading tiresome but I still do it. However, not that I'm learning ASL it will make life SO much easier! :)

I find lipreading tiresome but I still do it. However, not that I'm learning ASL it will make life SO much easier! :)

Lovezebras, do you think that Schools and programs for the Deaf should do outreach to teens who lose their hearing? I think that might be a fun thing....

Back