Lilo & Stitch cartoon captioned twice?

jejones3141

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Lilo and Stitch--enough that I even watch the half-hour cartoon, wretched as it is compared with the original movie.

I saw it on ABC, and then on the Disney Channel...and noticed that the captioning is different! On ABC, they don't do a very good job, but on Disney, even the Hawaiian lyrics are accurately captioned.

So...what I can't figure out is: why would they do it twice? If they noticed that someone did a lousy job the first time, why would they keep it? (Disney owns ABC, so I wouldn't think they'd have any reason to.)

It's usually the company that's showing it that does the captioning. You said ABC and then the Disney Channel. Well, ABC probably hired one company to caption the show for television... but without thought of word-for-word issues. When they put it on the Disney Channel, they decided to find someone to caption EVERYTHING. That's probably why you got different results. Sometimes, these companies don't pay much attention to their own job and things get messed up.

Ever watch Reading Rainbow on Saturday mornings? Many years ago, the show was captioned... if we had that option turned on. Later, they decided that it was important to make the show captioned for EVERYONE so they included the caption on the show... we don't even need to turn it on ourselves. However, they made a mistake during that time. They forgot to turn off the selective captioning feature so they had both... unselective and selective captioning. When the show appeared on my television, there were two captioning overlapping each other. It looked a big all fucked up, but I eventually learned why that happened. Heh!

No captioning is 100% perfect.

Back