Life in Florida?

Thanks for the input, everyone! If I did move to Florida, it would be unfortunatly, May of next year. Right when summer kicks in. Great! Haha. I'm not looking forward to the immense heat and enormous bugs (yikes :( ) but I am looking forward to working with the Deaf in an agency that's hopefully air conditioned hehe

I have been living in Jacksonville (Jax as we call it here) for a few years. If you have pets -- better make sure you give 'em heartworm preventatives and something like Comfortis (anti-flea). It is very common to see dogs having heartworm in Florida, unfortunately.

You also better be sure that you have a job waiting for you in Florida -- because quite frankly, the economy and the resources in Florida aren't that terrific for the Deaf. VR sucks in my general area and businesses generally get away with blatant discrimination -- although there is some accountability being slowly coming our way here on their parts. You have to know someone to be able to get something that faintly resembles a semi-decent job. If I say anything more here, I will get into a fair amount of trouble myself, being uh, fairly well known in this local community ;) Ha ha.

I can't wait to move out west in a few months.

It does get 'HOT' here....but it's better than freezing ur arse off...we did have some snow back in 1989...and of course, just some flurries thruout the years....and that old saying...."If ya can't take the heat, baby....stay outta' the kitchen"....Palm trees abound and Bamboo furniture is popular here.

that is true change environmental because warm on change worlds not perfect because reason lots of climate fool on worlds weather! depend your city area, If supposed hot sweat , my father touch first time Lag Vega, but my uncle together went to Las Vage :cool2: he didn't not afraid! I am surprised my uncle is very rich work job! he good wage invest work!

I like in south west florida and the farthest north i've been is clearwater,fl....I don't know what where you are moving to but generally this is what i've found: Coastal cities = little pricey, but right by the beach. Inland: rednecky, farmland, but nice towns usually. Everywhere: old people.
Some tips: Black snakes are good, they keep the poisonous snakes away. Lizards are everywhere so shoo them away but don't kill them that's mean. Summer usually means rain at least once a day usually in the afternoons. As a florida native hurricanes aren't a big deal to me, it usually just means days off school and hurricane party! lol

Reba and I met while stationed at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, FL back in the mid to late 1970's. The weather was nice. Beaches are great. Typical hot summers, cool winters. A couple of minor hurricanes. We loved it there.

We live in the Charleston, SC area now and have higher humidity, more alligators, more snakes, hurricanes. Still good beaches. There is good and bad everywhere. Go for it!

Hey Amandaraemay! I am from the Emerald Coast and I really think you will like it there. Our beaches are like NY's snow. :) Good luck on your move. Let me know if you have any questions.

I love cold weather! I spent many years in El Paso, and that is hot. I never want to live in hot conditions again.
Cold weather rocks. :rockon: It is my favorite weather. No bugs, no cutting grass,leaves are gone.Just beautiful. I grew up in North all my life. Im not very fond of beaches in FL. I was in Cocoa Beach for 2 weeks and couldnt wait to go back to Ohio. I find beach life very boring.
Warmer climates....more prone to diseases from mosquitos. No thanks for me. I like the balance.

Same here, tired of hot weather,fall comes..just awesome. During winter times, I let my beard grow out more. :)

Born and raise and still livin in Nor'Easter.
I STILL love cold weather and yes it rocks because one could wrap around with warm clothes and stay warm while in the heat wave, get naked and still be hot (Yike). And yes your right, no bugs no pest no whatever during fall to spring. I rather deal with blizzard than hurricane. Why? With blizzard, just plow the road and get back to normal while with Hurricane, depends on how bad it is and can take months. Forget it.

Cold weather rocks. :rockon: It is my favorite weather. No bugs, no cutting grass,leaves are gone.Just beautiful. I grew up in North all my life.

I STILL love cold weather and yes it rocks because one could wrap around with warm clothes and stay warm while in the heat wave, get naked and still be hot (Yike). And yes your right, no bugs no pest no whatever during fall to spring. I rather deal with blizzard than hurricane. Why? With blizzard, just plow the road and get back to normal while with Hurricane, depends on how bad it is and can take months. Forget it.

just FYI - "Nor'Easter" is not a term for "North Eastern" home area. It's term for a massive storm that only occurs in Eastern area usually during late fall to winter.

Some blizzards takes a while to recover from. Fort Collins is still recovering from the blizzard from 8 years ago...

Well - at age 3 I moved to Florida, at age 33 I moved to Missouri and at 46 I came back to Florida. I will take Florida over any other state I have ever lived in. That includes, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Indiana, Delaware and possibly Arkansas. I don't remember enough of Arkansas since I left at age 3.

Blizzards....snow storms....brrrrr...having to dig ur car out before going to work and having snow tires with chains to drive and all that skidding and sliding on the roads....almost like "bumper cars."...

And when ur heat goes out, you're liable to freeze to death...here in Florida, when ur A/C goes out, you can jump into the pool, river or the Beach and still keep cool....wear ur bathing suit and have a cool drink in ur hand...even a Hurricane Party (they are fun!) when living at the Beach.

Cons is Hurricanes/ occasional tornadoes along with hurricane.

I live here for almost 12 year on july 10th :D Heat is gonna be expected. I love going to beach. on east side of florida there is a lot of places to go and fun to do. on Panhandle of Florida, is more of well, fun places but not much. :D just saying :D

She's right. One of the cons is the heat and the hurricanes. The panhandle also seems to get nailed quite a bit. So, I'd consider things very carefully before making your decision.

Last edited:
Blizzards....snow storms....brrrrr...having to dig ur car out before going to work and having snow tires with chains to drive and all that skidding and sliding on the roads....almost like "bumper cars."...

And when ur heat goes out, you're liable to freeze to death...here in Florida, when ur A/C goes out, you can jump into the pool, river or the Beach and still keep cool....wear ur bathing suit and have a cool drink in ur hand...even a Hurricane Party (they are fun!) when living at the Beach.

I've seen a few of those! All I can say is we have some crazy fools down here! :laugh2:

I love snow and cannot live without snow. :) My home has a fire place :rockon: Too cold can be dangerous, ya know and Im glad I dont live by the great lakes in Cleveland and Chicago. BrrrrrrrRRRrrrrrrr

To Beach lovers, Nothing personal, beach is not for everybody. :)

hi my name is dave and i'm from minnesota. my brother and i are going to miami for an inhibitor summit. we have a blood disorder called hemophilia(christmas disease). its means that if we get an injury to our bodies, it takes longer for us to heal.

Back