Life in Florida?

No one here has said any cons about Florida. There is always pros and cons about each state.

Florida is very, very hot and they have giant roaches. Although they call them coconut bugs.

Hurricanes..if you want to live at the coast of Florida, forget it. Florida is also the lightning capital of the US....stay indoors as much as possible. The topography is also boring....generally flat in most of the state and the highest point is only 345 feet close to Alabama stateline.

There are also alligators in swamps if they live too close by there. Don't forget Florida has LOTs of snakes, too.

FSDB is on water...

Florida is very, very hot and they have giant roaches. Although they call them coconut bugs.

Yikes.... yeah the summers are very unbearable. The winters are generally perfect at most.

Yes, it is very hot and a lot of areas are very expensive. I've never heard of them being called coconut bugs, for me, they are flying palmetto bugs and I hate them. We have a lot of diversity here and there are a lot of other nationalities that are taking over, but that's life I guess. In spits of being a peninsular state, we are going through MAJOR water shortages and droughts like you wouldn't believe.

In my mind, the pros far outweigh the cons. One advantage with hurricanes over tornadoes? We get more notice and can plan better. Yes, I know Florida also get tornadoes, but I don't think as many.

Yes, it is very hot and a lot of areas are very expensive. I've never heard of them being called coconut bugs, for me, they are flying palmetto bugs and I hate them. We have a lot of diversity here and there are a lot of other nationalities that are taking over, but that's life I guess. In spits of being a peninsular state, we are going through MAJOR water shortages and droughts like you wouldn't believe.

In my mind, the pros far outweigh the cons. One advantage with hurricanes over tornadoes? We get more notice and can plan better. Yes, I know Florida also get tornadoes, but I don't think as many.

I think I called them coconut bugs because palm and coconut trees are alike and I made a weird assocation.

I think I called them coconut bugs because palm and coconut trees are alike and I made a weird assocation.

All I know is, they are grotesque and huge. We killed one this morning that was 2 inches long.

It does get 'HOT' here....but it's better than freezing ur arse off...we did have some snow back in 1989...and of course, just some flurries thruout the years....and that old saying...."If ya can't take the heat, baby....stay outta' the kitchen"....Palm trees abound and Bamboo furniture is popular here.

FSDB is on water...

St. Augustine, Fla....one of my favorite places to go and love the beach there....also those quaint, old pubs and restaurants and those cobblestone streets. And the fishing and seafood there is excellent....

I love cold weather! I spent many years in El Paso, and that is hot. I never want to live in hot conditions again.

I love cold weather! I spent many years in El Paso, and that is hot. I never want to live in hot conditions again.

I'm sure more people prefer warmer climates over cold climates....look at the growth in south states.

I'm sure more people prefer warmer climates over cold climates....look at the growth in south states.

Warmer climates....more prone to diseases from mosquitos. No thanks for me. I like the balance.

Warmer climates....more prone to diseases from mosquitos. No thanks for me. I like the balance.

:lol: not in North California. I don't really see many mosquitoes there. There are too many here. :-( The weather in North Bay (North of San Francisco) tend to be a little extreme...with highs in the 80's and 90's and low in the 40's and 50s in summer months.

Hey everyone :)

Just wondering how many AD members are currently living in Florida, or have lived there before. I'm thinking about making the move there from NY within the next year or so. I know the changes are going to be pretty drastic, and take lots of getting used to.

What are some pros and cons of living in Florida? What are your favorite/least favorite things? Thanks!

-Amanda

Cons is Hurricanes/ occasional tornadoes along with hurricane.

I live here for almost 12 year on july 10th :D Heat is gonna be expected. I love going to beach. on east side of florida there is a lot of places to go and fun to do. on Panhandle of Florida, is more of well, fun places but not much. :D just saying :D

Back