Leave the Nest

The*Empress

Reaction score
Would you tell your kids to move out by age 18?
Or would you tell your kids to move out by age 21?
Or would you take your kids back in.... cause
they lost the house or health reason, or whatever emergency reason?

Well, if I have kids,
I would teach them how to cook, how to iron their clothes,
how to clean house, how to do laundry, and how to pay the
bills and to stay away from credit cards. Teach them
how to value money...
Teach them to be more responsible... before they move
out in the world.

Maybe when my kids get about 18 years... and after that
I won't send them to college right away...
First I will teach them how cruel some people can be....
and know how to watch out for.
And tell them to be nice to people, be friendly, and
all...
Then give my 18 years old kid, a cell phone... and
let that kid work at McDonald's and let him
learn how to pay his first cell phone bills....

Then help him buy himself a car... while he work at
McDonalds and learn how to pay the car bill and monthly payment....

Then I will help him find an apartment or if he wants to go to
college, then I will tell him to find job while he goes to college
and get as many opportunties from career centers and internships
and volunteers...

And if he gets roommates, I will tell him that he needs to
compromise... and share 50-50 and if the roommates are unfair to him,
then he needs to move to another room or get himself an apartment
off campus.

Or if he wants to join the military and alll... then I will have him
talk to people who experience the military....

I want my kids to be prepare and have knowledge about life
before leaving the nest.

And also have him read some books about how to get
along with people and be responsible and all.

My mom didn't teach me any of those things....
she didn't teach me how to cook, and stuff like that.
I had to learn all by myself... or sometimes I just watch her.
And my mom never had roommates... at college dorm...
she only went to college nearby her house.
I had to learn the hard way....
how to compromise with roommates.
My mom and dad can't get along... they don't
like living together...
I see my dad hit my mom.... arguing with her.
And me and my sister hit each other, fighting physically.

I am always quiet... I didn't know
how to make friends.
And now I am in deep debts... because
of college loans.
At first I had hard time with bills.

So what will you do for your child?
Will you kick them out of the nest at age 18? :|

No, I wouldn't tell my children to move out when they reach the age of 18, they can stay as long as they please to...

^Angel^ said:
No, I wouldn't tell my children to move out when they reach the age of 18, they can stay as long as they please to...

oh really, oh that is nice. :mrgreen:

whilist your goals are good ms p u forget, love your children uncondtionally they will find out the world on thier own... let them find a part time job IN high school and let them learn how to budget thier money cuz you know the first thing they do when they get thier check, blow it on arcade games or clothes. teach them first to budget before sending them into the real world. let them learn thier mistakes then you can how them the differences.

oh by the way, your intentions are good, but i wouldn't do that to my kid on the college tution, compromise and help ur kid find scholarships.. it ll help pay off the tution. :)

^Angel^ said:

Yes, I second that.

They can stay with us as long as they like... or until they getting engaged to married.....

Miss *P,
Dont teach adult but children which it´s good and quick development for the children to learn than an adult.

You refuse to find a job for yourself, yet you teach your kids to get jobs???

Good example... Ravensteven61 is over 40 yrs old and STILL lives with his mama, has he become a man or still act like he's too young to live on his own?

I don't believe in keeping my kids in my house when they are old enough to be on their own. I really wanted them to be able to support themselves so that I can peacefully bury myself into 6 feet without worry that my own kids dealing with their life.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Would you tell your kids to move out by age 18?
Or would you tell your kids to move out by age 21?
Or would you take your kids back in.... cause
they lost the house or health reason, or whatever emergency reason?

Well, if I have kids,
I would teach them how to cook, how to iron their clothes,
how to clean house, how to do laundry, and how to pay the
bills and to stay away from credit cards. Teach them
how to value money...
Teach them to be more responsible... before they move
out in the world.

Maybe when my kids get about 18 years... and after that
I won't send them to college right away...
First I will teach them how cruel some people can be....
and know how to watch out for.
And tell them to be nice to people, be friendly, and
all...
Then give my 18 years old kid, a cell phone... and
let that kid work at McDonald's and let him
learn how to pay his first cell phone bills....

Then help him buy himself a car... while he work at
McDonalds and learn how to pay the car bill and monthly payment....

Then I will help him find an apartment or if he wants to go to
college, then I will tell him to find job while he goes to college
and get as many opportunties from career centers and internships
and volunteers...

And if he gets roommates, I will tell him that he needs to
compromise... and share 50-50 and if the roommates are unfair to him,
then he needs to move to another room or get himself an apartment
off campus.

Or if he wants to join the military and alll... then I will have him
talk to people who experience the military....

I want my kids to be prepare and have knowledge about life
before leaving the nest.

And also have him read some books about how to get
along with people and be responsible and all.

My mom didn't teach me any of those things....
she didn't teach me how to cook, and stuff like that.
I had to learn all by myself... or sometimes I just watch her.
And my mom never had roommates... at college dorm...
she only went to college nearby her house.
I had to learn the hard way....
how to compromise with roommates.
My mom and dad can't get along... they don't
like living together...
I see my dad hit my mom.... arguing with her.
And me and my sister hit each other, fighting physically.

I am always quiet... I didn't know
how to make friends.
And now I am in deep debts... because
of college loans.
At first I had hard time with bills.

So what will you do for your child?
Will you kick them out of the nest at age 18? :|

no one told me to move out at all.. I JUST DID IT!!! cuz i WANTED TO!!! i was AND STILL AM VERY INDEPENDENT :P and i have NO REGRETS for moving out at a young age... i gained more indepedency/more responsibilities, matured more, you can name anything... the list just goes on and on..

i moved out when i was 23 but i lived in the dorms most of the time.. so "technically" i moved out when i was 18... and was on my own all these years up til last may.. :ugh: so that's why i am not used to living under my mom's wing again... grrr! but i hope to move out again by next year!! that is MY GOAL!!! :thumb:

you need to get your butt out of the house and be/live on your own!!! you are practically my age!!! sheesh!!! :roll:

diehardbiker65 said:
Good example... Ravensteven61 is over 40 yrs old and STILL lives with his mama, has he become a man or still act like he's too young to live on his own?

I don't believe in keeping my kids in my house when they are old enough to be on their own. I really wanted them to be able to support themselves so that I can peacefully bury myself into 6 feet without worry that my own kids dealing with their life.

it is a shame that he has no sense of self confidence, self esteem or independency... he will be sorry when his (god forbid me for saying this) parents go one day... cuz he WILL BE LOST... (sigh)

diehardbiker65 said:

Erm... You pmed me and told me not to bring up RS in threads but you doing the same thing? :ugh:

Anyways, I would not kick my boys out, They are welcome to stay/come back anytime they want. I wouldn't close the door on my boys. If they need help I'll be there for them. ;)

diehardbiker65 said:

Remember that every humans have different personalities.

My hubby lived with his parents until he married me. Few months later after we married, then his brother moved out from his parents house to live one bedroom flat.

I see nothing wrong if the children want to live with their parents but.. but.. the children have to respect their parents´s house rule as long as they are still live with them, if not then look somewhere to live.

It would give your children feeling that you want rid them out of your house because they are 18 years old?

My mom never left home until she was 30. My brother never left home until he was 25. My dad, I think the same as mom. I never left the house until I was 29. We all felt we won't move out until when we're good and ready. We all have been financially stabled because we stayed home and saved up a lot.

I went away to college in NY for 6 years and moved back to my parents house before I married my husband. My parents wanted to spend more time with me and getting to know me better because I've changed (in a good way) since college. While I lived with my parents, I bought a new used car and paid it off in 18 months. Then saved up 2 years worth for the condo. I did alright! Glad I didn't live in an apartment because it is a complete waste of money and I wouldn't have bought the car and condo right away like I did.

Katzie said:
My mom never left home until she was 30. My brother never left home until he was 25. My dad, I think the same as mom. I never left the house until I was 29. We all felt we won't move out until when we're good and ready. We all have been financially stabled because we stayed home and saved up a lot.

I went away to college in NY for 6 years and moved back to my parents house before I married my husband. My parents wanted to spend more time with me and getting to know me better because I've changed (in a good way) since college. While I lived with my parents, I bought a new used car and paid it off in 18 months. Then saved up 2 years worth for the condo. I did alright! Glad I didn't live in an apartment because it is a complete waste of money and I wouldn't have bought the car and condo right away like I did.

Exactly, my hubby never left home until he married me when he was 30 years old. He save alot of money and thank his parents´s support and also thank them for not persuaded him to look somewhere to live because he´s "18 years old".

My mom's friend, Shirley never moved out... she stayed
til her adopted mom passed away...
Shirley was 60 years old...

Yeah she saved a lot of money, up to million...
She is a retired teacher, worked 30 years.

Now she got a Mansion... and a Porche.
She never married and have no kids.
But she has dogs, cats, birds, and all.

Wow.

Why are you telling this, MissP, when you have not applied any of that to yourself? It seems easier for you to preach than actually practice.

If you want your kids to do what you just explained, you have to do it FIRST so they can see that you are a role model and follow your examples.

If i want my daughters to do anything, I have to ask myself Am I doing it? Then I have a good reason to tell my daughters to do that.

I will not kick my daughters out once they turn 18 but I will surely encourage them to start working early in high school to learn about work ethics, budget, money, etc etc. It doesnt just start once they graduate from high school. It is long process..I already teach them now and they are only 8 and 9 but I show them by little by little about reality of world out there.

I will encourage them to dream further beyond my house. But if they want to stay with me and save money or go to a local university, then that is fine but they must have a PLAN. They must prove it to me that they are staying with me after age 18 for valid reasons so they wont get away with it. If one of them stays home and play on computer/watch TV all day, I will kick her ass out for sure. That is not what I am here for. I am here as their role model and they better shape up or else. That is called L O V E.

Meg said:
Why are you telling this, MissP, when you have not applied any of that to yourself? It seems easier for you to preach than actually practice. >>> SEEMS LIKE SHE IS FAMOUS FOR THAT!! EH?

They must prove it to me that they are staying with me after age 18 for valid reasons so they wont get away with it. If one of them stays home and play on computer/watch TV all day, I will kick her ass out for sure.

i wonder what missp's mom is feeling/thinking about this??? hmmm :roll:

My mom said that I can stay here....
She said my sister and her son can
stay here too...

I don't think I want to work for anybody...
I am planning on owning a business.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I don't think I want to work for anybody...
I am planning on owning a business.

Good luck - it is much much harder than working for someone else. People have to work for someone else FIRST to understand the ropes then take off to set up own business. It is not just being your own boss but knowing how to market or set up bookkeeping etc.

Umm....

I have told my oldest son who is 14 that if he decide to stay here after the age of 18 which is fine with me, he could stay at long as he please to, and he did asked me what if I was 35? I said it doesn't matter to me how old he is or if he is older , he can stay as long he wants but I rather him to have a job, not to sit home doing nothing at all, that wouldn't be like trying to do something good out of this, I don't expect him to pay the bills but to be able to do things out there then staying home....

That's just me, and it doesn't mean I'm not teaching my children that they need to get out and live on their own, I can do whatever I want with my kids, no one can tell me how to raise mine....

Others has raised their children their way, and there's nothing wrong with that either, no one is right or wrong when it comes to raising their children, its their life and their business no one shall judge them for whatever decision they do make for their children...

Back