learning sign language need help

eekenney1980

Reaction score
I'm kind of new here and although I've learned many signs over the years nothing prepared me for a deaf child. My son, who is 4 now, was born deaf. It wasn't completely a surprise when we were told, he had a really hard time at first, but we weren't prepared for it. Anyway, over the past few years my husband and I have been trying to figure out which way works best for us. We don't have the money or time to attend ASL classes so we have been teaching ourselves. This is hard, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions. I know that ASL has different grammer than English and I think that's a lot of my problem learning, I don't know how to sign the right way.

My suggestion is that when signing, think of the content (or pictures in your head) rather than thinking in English words. That helped me to sign ASL in the proper way. I know it is hard and I still dont have it perfected yet myself despite learning ASL 10 years ago.

Have you thought of contacting a volunteer tutor to help you out?

I know I can't explain because before I try with my hearing friends learning ASL and nothing works. But Shel is right - ASL and English are different ways of thinking because different languages. To me ASL is direct, natural, and so much simpler than English because English has endless rules and exception to every rule, weird plural spelling etc. But I know my hearing friends struggle to not think like SEE or PSE. I don't know the site much but my roommate like the lifeprint site. Shel asks the same question - have you looked for free ASL classes?

From Answer.Com: Sign Language Classes for Parents
If you are a parent of a deaf or hard of hearing child, check with your child's school or program. Most routinely offer sign language classes to help parents communicate with their children. These classes may or may not be free.

Deaf Service Organization Classes
Some interpreting agencies also offer sign language classes. Check local speech and hearing centers as well. Contact your state commission on deaf and hard of hearing for referrals. A resource center for deaf and hard of hearing in your area may also be able to provide referrals.

So maybe from school or future school or state government? Good luck :)

someone else had also suggested free ASL classes, but I'm not sure where to look. My husbands work has a resource thing that when I worked there the mgr told me to get ahold of them, so I'm looking into that right now, thanks for the suggestions

go to this website

ASLPro.com Home

They are free! You can take multiple choice tests, learn
to fingerspell, (speed the spelling test up or slow it down)
And I use it all the time because I do not live near my
deaf friends.

I just found out about this web site as well.
Video

Video
(warning this web site is not for the God impaired):giggle:

really it is a religious web site and I like it alot. Some
may not like the religious content, but it shows ASL
while you can hear it interpreted in English. It is not
SEE or PSE. Wonderful Science episodes too. And
it is great for hearing adults who are trying to learn.
It is a free site as well.

Remember the sooner your baby has a language he
can use, the smarter he will be. You are a good parent
for working so hard on this. Good Luck

I also recommend the video and textbook course "Signing Naturally." It's used in many ASL classes and is also helpful for self-teaching as it includes ASL grammar as well as information about Deaf culture. Good luck!

I just found this thread, but want to welcome you, and commend you, as the parent of a deaf child, too, for making such a great effort to learn ASL for your son's benefit. For me, one of the things that helped with syntax of ASL was to think about painting a picture. What is the first thing you would paint on the canvas? Sign that first. Of course, it doesn't always prove to be exactly correct in the learning stages, but it does help you place the signs in an arrangement that is easier for the eye to perceive. Good luck, and stick around!

Look for classes offered by your local community college.....if you have one.

thanks for the links to the different site, I've been checking them out and I really like some of them. Also thank you for the other advice, I'll start looking into some of the stuff Monday.

If I had a deaf child I would head straight for the members of the local deaf community. I would also recruit baby sitters and such from the deaf community in order to place my child among as many supportive, accepting, and understanding people as possible as soon as possible. My experience has been that you would be welcomed and there would be others in your same position.

If I had a deaf child I would head straight for the members of the local deaf community. I would also recruit baby sitters and such from the deaf community in order to place my child among as many supportive, accepting, and understanding people as possible as soon as possible. My experience has been that you would be welcomed and there would be others in your same position.

Wow! Are you inside my head? LOL.

thansk for the idea. I didn't think about doing that.

Back