Learning ASL, needs a practice buddy?:)

RaiceyLee13

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! :wave:
To start off, I'd like to say that I'm NOT HoH. My little brother on the other hand, is. He has bilateral hearing aides, but is too stubborn to learn sign language. He says no one around us knows sign language, so he won't learn. I have been learning since a few years afrter he was born. But, as previously mentioned, I don't know anyone who knows the language. I am self teaching myself how to sign, so I may be completely teaching myself wrong! That's why I am hoping to find someone (preferably around my age, but that;s not needed) who will be my friend/help me sign. I also have a tendency to forget the things I've learned, because I don't use it in my everyday life. So hopefully this will help alleviate that problem too.

~FYI - I am NOT a strong signer, but I'd like to be better.

I'm hearing as well, my daughter has a speech delay and I was told by her doctors to learn and teach her sign language. I'm self taught too and I don't know much at all either so maybe we can help each other.

That is sad that your brother did not want to sign ASL. Tell him that it is between you and him to sign so that he can learn better with visual signing. Lipreading is not accurate. He probably can lipread about 30% of the English language. English is not that easy, even the hearing like you.

The important thing is that you both need to go to the ASL Class so that you can sign properly. Are both of you living in a small town which is common as you would not find any d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing (HOH)? In a big city like Chicago (born there and live there the first four or five years before moving to another State) or maybe Springfield, you will be able to find d/Deaf and HOH in the Deaf events. We have a AD member here and his username is ChicagoBlue2, I think. He posted lots of threads here and you won't miss him. Maybe you can ask him.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Raicey,is your little brother in deaf ed? (classes or school) Also deaf camp might be a cool option for getting him into the community where Sign is useful.(and MANY dhh kids do benifit significently from social-emotiontal exposure to other deaf kids...and camp is wicked fun)..Maybe he just needs to know other Signers/dhh kids for the light bulb to go off as to why it can be useful!:Illinois School for the Deaf - Home of the Tigers!
Illinois Deaf/Hard of Hearing School Programs
Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
I know a lot of dhh children who were very oral, and then went to a sign using camp....really benifited them enormously........Also, my TOD friends have told me that their students seem more oral....and it's kinda rare that a dhh kid doesn't have speech skills........so Deaf camp may really help him!

I'm hearing as well, my daughter has a speech delay and I was told by her doctors to learn and teach her sign language. I'm self taught too and I don't know much at all either so maybe we can help each other.

Is there a United Cerebal Palsy near you? What about another disabilties agency? They sometimes have ASL stuff for kids with spoken language delays....Be careful thou as now a days "speech and language" can mean severe stuff (ie mental disabilties and autism) rather then, mild spoken language issues......

Hello, i am hearing, but am taking classes at my college to become fluent in ASL. I am majoring in it, and hopefully will become an interpreter some day. I would love to have someone to practice with since during the summer i don't take classes, and don't have an of my wonderful deaf teachers around!

Back