Learning ASL, need help!!!!

This is kind of harsh. At least this member has returned and posted several times, unlike a lot of the newbies that stop in. Give her a chance.

Thank you for your kindness! Much appreciated!!:P

I really like to snowboard and cook! Those are some of my favorite hobbies. I found this poem online and it was really touching. What are your thoughts on it? I do not understand parents who do not learn how to sign to their children. Do you know anyone who has struggled with a family like this child has?
Thoughts of a Deaf Child

My family knew that I was deaf
When I was only three, and since then fifteen years ago
Have never signed to me.
I know when I'm around the house,
I try and use my voice,
It makes them feel more comfortable;
For me, I have no choice.
I try, communicate their way-
Uncomfortable for me.
My parents wouldn't learn sign
Ashamed or apathy?
I never cared about the sound of radios and bands;
What hurts me most is, I never heard
My parents' signing hands.

I really hate that poem. Many parents don't manage to learn sign , but really love their children and manage communication in some form.

What makes me happy is they loved me and wanted me. Whining and always looking at the down side of life is very unhealthy.

Thank you for your kindness! Much appreciated!!:P

I know he good advise! I would be talk to you I love poem you fun I am skills lot of asl :D I am very good funny humor match teasing! I am enjoy asl and expression and lot of study my skill expert I would be question to me history my biography, I remember interpreter is very funny teasing copy me I sign language I am very smart and clever funny! I am very funny! I am very smile! I am very enjoy,, my best friends interpreter support to me high school is very great! she is very moved on BC. i know long time. she is see me I remember I know hard to see long time, I am great impressive smart I am very good clever and funny, teacher like me alots and great lot of best hard work communication to friends and interpreter :D

Great avatar! And I appreciate your openess to those of us that are new to the community!

Great avatar! And I appreciate your openess to those of us that are new to the community!

Thank! I would be friends community :D openess share to community! :) I would be friendly chat to enjoy communication to you! :) hope be question to open mind!

I am in ASL 1. I love it so much and i want to keep going all the way through college. My ASL teacher(hearing) graduated Gallaudet University, and i really want go there someday too.(unlikely but, hey, i can dream right?). ASL i such a beautiful language and i want learn more about the deaf culture, even through i know a lot already. I just had some questions if it isnt too much time?
1. The deaf community(as a whole) frowns upon the usage of Cochlear implants and hearing aids. If a Deaf person gets one of these devices, are the outcast or shamed within the community?
2. How does a hearing person become an "Honorary Deaf Person"?
3. Is it rude to talk about music with a Deaf Person?
Thank you Much!

Back