LD looking to make friends

Thanks for the info guys really helpful. A few people have recommended the dog so I'm going to look into it. I just don't want a big dog. My condo is small. The ASL is hard. My fingers don't want to move that fast. The friend I made at the ASL class has been great. Her brother is Deaf and she is learning. She uses it a lot more because she speaks to him at home. I don't have many people yo talk to. Parents moved to Florida and my friends don't have much time to learn. I use my phone a lot in public when I can't lip read. I have also found carrying a pen and paper to be a God send.

On the driving front I find that my other senses are heightened. I'm just scared of getting hit. :-o. Again. I'm learning and adjusting.

BIG QUESTION. It's been over a year and my friends are telling me to go out and meet someone. I don't know. Dating seems like it would be almost impossible. Dating a Deaf guy would be hard since my ASL is terrible and I feel like dating a hearing guy might be hard too. Communication is not exactly easy for me these days. Again advise anyone??

Thanks for the info guys really helpful. A few people have recommended the dog so I'm going to look into it. I just don't want a big dog. My condo is small. The ASL is hard. My fingers don't want to move that fast. The friend I made at the ASL class has been great. Her brother is Deaf and she is learning. She uses it a lot more because she speaks to him at home. I don't have many people yo talk to. Parents moved to Florida and my friends don't have much time to learn. I use my phone a lot in public when I can't lip read. I have also found carrying a pen and paper to be a God send.

On the driving front I find that my other senses are heightened. I'm just scared of getting hit. :-o. Again. I'm learning and adjusting.

BIG QUESTION. It's been over a year and my friends are telling me to go out and meet someone. I don't know. Dating seems like it would be almost impossible. Dating a Deaf guy would be hard since my ASL is terrible and I feel like dating a hearing guy might be hard too. Communication is not exactly easy for me these days. Again advise anyone??

Let me find some info on a product I was just introduced to at the DEAFestival here recently...

Say, do you think I might see that at Deaf Expo in Palatine this November?

Depends on if they show there? You can contact the owner and see if they are or invite them to get a booth... I gave the owner this site to come join us, but so far I haven't seen him since the DEAFestival here....?
I really liked it coming from someone who was hearing and now LD, its a nice transition for those struggling with ASL like myself and a lot easier than texting, as it is instant, wireless and up close and personal. or you can be in another room in the house...don't need to wait for texts to be delivered, missed or not sent. The guys name is Chris.

Depends on if they show there? You can contact the owner and see if they are or invite them to get a booth... I gave the owner this site to come join us, but so far I haven't seen him since the DEAFestival here....?
I really liked it coming from someone who was hearing and now LD, its a nice transition for those struggling with ASL like myself and a lot easier than texting, as it is instant, wireless and up close and personal. or you can be in another room in the house...don't need to wait for texts to be delivered, missed or not sent. The guys name is Chris.

That would be perfect for me, since my parents don't sign. I'll have to see about getting this product, since my own hearing is slowly declining itself, but I won't lose all of it for a while, but I have already lost nearly 10% of what I had ten years ago, so that would be ideal, since I am nearly 31.

That looks really amazing!! I am trying to figure out how to meet someone and what do say. If I had something like that it would be great but I think it would work best if I already had a bf. I'm trying to figure out how to meet someone. Any suggestions?

Wait a minute. What?? Some of us innocent elderly people can't figure that one out.

What obscene meaning does "LD" have?

Personally, I thought she was telling us she is a Mormon.

Long something or other…

But Learning Disabled was number one on the list.

Sorry Babysteps, no offense meant.

Hearing dogs do not have to be big , I have a Standard Poodle for a hearing dog and my condo is only 812 sq. ft. My dog was trained to also let me know when a person was calling me from behind . He was trained by a prisoner and I met the guy . He told he did not know if the person getting Finlay was able to pick things up so the guy trained my dog to pick up things and take on my coat . When I hurt my back it really came in handy having my dog picking up things I dropped . You can say you want a small dog some places only used labs as service dogs. You should start looking for a dog b/c it can take up to 4 years to get a hearing dogs depending on where look.

I am LD. I lost my hearing suddenly about 13 months ago at the age of 32. I have been adjusting to many changes in my life but have had a lot of support from friends and family. Someone I met at my ASL class recommended the site to me. Don't know many deaf people and looking to meet some new people

Hi i like to make new friends like penpals and nice to meet you and i also new on the site...

Back