Law Requires Ultrasound Before Abortion

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Florida Law Goes Into Effect Friday

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Starting this Friday, women in Florida will be required to have an ultrasound done by a doctor before having an abortion, a bill Gov. Rick Scott signed into law last Friday.

It's a law the CEO of First Coast Women's Services, Judy Weber, thinks will make a positive difference.

According to Weber, 85 percent of women who have an ultrasound before an abortion change their mind.

Stacy Fox, the CEO of Planned Parenthood of Northeast Florida, fought against the law, mostly because it requires the woman having the abortion to pay for the ultrasound.

"Legislators shouldn't be practicing medicine," Fox said. "Unfortunately, this puts a huge burden on women and will increase the cost of a legal procedure in Florida."

Most abortions already include an ultrasound, but Weber said many of the women she helps aren't allowed to see it.

Oklahoma is the only other state that requires ultrasounds before abortions.

Fox said she'll fight to repeal Florida's law.

"This is just really politicians interfering with a doctor-patient relationship and making a requirement that doesn't need to be made," she said.

There is an exception to the law for women who are victims of rape, domestic violence or human sex trafficking. They are not required to have an ultrasound when having an abortion.

Law Requires Ultrasound Before Abortion - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

I'm sorry, but the government shouldn't be forcing moral values upon the people.

Is an ultrasound forcing moral values on people?

It sounds like a bizarre law because it is not always required, but it also sounds bizarre, that as Weber said, most women have ultrasounds before getting an abortion but are not allowed to see them. Wha???? Now THAT's really, really strange to me.

It sounds like it's not a bad idea, to confirm that the woman truly is pregnant, versus perhaps suffering from fibroid tumors or something. I don't see how more knowledge is a bad thing.

The issue of paying for it sounds like it could be a hardship, but it's certainly cheaper than actually having a child. Maybe Planned Parenthood and other clinics will start fund-raising programs to pay for those ultrasounds.

Is an ultrasound forcing moral values on people?

Yes since it would be legally mandated. The people who have to pay for it are the patients. Why should the politicians be able to interfere with a doctor-patient relationship?

They already do. They make sure doctors, dentists, nurses and other medical professionals are licensed, that hospitals and other medical facilities fulfill certain requirements, and so on.

I would not want to get medical care in a place where anyone could do anything to me, no questions asked, due to the government not having any regulations in place regarding medical practices.

They already do. They make sure doctors, dentists, nurses and other medical professionals are licensed, that hospitals and other medical facilities fulfill certain requirements, and so on.

I would not want to get medical care in a place where anyone could do anything to me, no questions asked, due to the government not having any regulations in place regarding medical practices.

Politicians being able to interfere with a doctor-patient relationship due to something they may deem to be immoral is not the same as establishing healthcare regulations and guidelines.

Pro-lifers like to lie and claim women "don't have access" to their ultrasound pics. In reality, a clinic WILL perform an ultrasound to confirm that the pregnancy is present, is not tubal, and to stage it before prescribing any method of abortion, and women ALREADY have access to their ultrasound pics.

This isn't about changing women's minds, it's about putting on a political show claiming that abortion clinics don't properly inform women, without actually -saying- that, merely implying it strongly.

"We don't want to deny your legal right to abortion, okay (even though that's our organization's stated goal), we just want you to know what you're getting yourself into killing your baby!!!!!"

BS.

For women who have seen their ultrasound pics, the biggest thing I've heard from women getting early abortions (aka, the vast majority of abortions) is "is that what all the fuss was about?"

And I wholeheartedly agree. A one gram 8 week embryo doesn't look like a human no matter how much you squint, it isn't babylike or baby shaped or... much of anything- and I've not only seen them on U/S, but out of the body. If you're dissuaded by seeing an ultrasound pic, its because you're seeing what you hope to be seeing there, and not the reality.

Pro-lifers need to stop being given legal wins. If they don't want to get abortions, jolly good, let them have all the children they want. But they should not be allowed to continue their campaigns of intentionally misinforming and scaring the public about abortion, and making legal abortion more and more difficult to access.

Women that what an abortion will travel to another state to have one. I hope this law not bring back 'back alley abortion'! The government has gone way TOO FAR this time! I bet if men could have babies this law would never had pass!

I agree with you, if the writers of this law had the impression that women don't know that an abortion means killing a potential child, I think they are very wrong about that. Women know what they're doing.

"In reality, a clinic WILL perform an ultrasound to confirm that the pregnancy is present, is not tubal, and to stage it before prescribing any method of abortion, and women ALREADY have access to their ultrasound pics. "

I would hope so. If all that is true, then I'd agree this law is totally unnecessary. I hope that it doesn't literally require women to pay for their own ultrasounds. How are ultrasounds paid for now? By insurance when possible, maybe by the clinics themselves if women can't pay for them?

I agree with you, if the writers of this law had the impression that women don't know that an abortion means killing a potential child, I think they are very wrong about that. Women know what they're doing.

"In reality, a clinic WILL perform an ultrasound to confirm that the pregnancy is present, is not tubal, and to stage it before prescribing any method of abortion, and women ALREADY have access to their ultrasound pics. "

I would hope so. If all that is true, then I'd agree this law is totally unnecessary. I hope that it doesn't literally require women to pay for their own ultrasounds. How are ultrasounds paid for now? By insurance when possible, maybe by the clinics themselves if women can't pay for them?

The cost of the ultrasound is in the cost of your abortion. The cost of the abortion is typically heavily subsidized by donor funds, either through discounts PP/any other clinic can offer from donated money, or through a local abortion fund.

Unfortunately, pro-lifers are also pushing laws that prevent insurance companies that receive governmental funds (aka, most/all) from providing abortion. If you google news search "abortion insurance" you'll get an eyeful. So even people who HAD insurance plans which covered abortions and pre-and-post abortion care, now no longer do.

Florida Law Goes Into Effect Friday

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Starting this Friday, women in Florida will be required to have an ultrasound done by a doctor before having an abortion, a bill Gov. Rick Scott signed into law last Friday.

It's a law the CEO of First Coast Women's Services, Judy Weber, thinks will make a positive difference.

According to Weber, 85 percent of women who have an ultrasound before an abortion change their mind.

Stacy Fox, the CEO of Planned Parenthood of Northeast Florida, fought against the law, mostly because it requires the woman having the abortion to pay for the ultrasound.

"Legislators shouldn't be practicing medicine," Fox said. "Unfortunately, this puts a huge burden on women and will increase the cost of a legal procedure in Florida."

Most abortions already include an ultrasound, but Weber said many of the women she helps aren't allowed to see it.

Oklahoma is the only other state that requires ultrasounds before abortions.

Fox said she'll fight to repeal Florida's law.

"This is just really politicians interfering with a doctor-patient relationship and making a requirement that doesn't need to be made," she said.

There is an exception to the law for women who are victims of rape, domestic violence or human sex trafficking. They are not required to have an ultrasound when having an abortion.

Law Requires Ultrasound Before Abortion - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville
What if the mother's life is at risk and need to have an abortion to save her life? Do you let the mother and baby die?

They are provided right now. The goal of laws like this is for one purpose only - they're hoping to provide some sort of emotional shock to convince women who are already in positions of weakness to succumb to their attempts to demonize them. They want to hand you a picture and say "Look at this. This is a baby. You're a murderer if you do this." It's entirely about emotional warfare, not at all about medical health or safety.

They are provided right now. The goal of laws like this is for one purpose only - they're hoping to provide some sort of emotional shock to convince women who are already in positions of weakness to succumb to their attempts to demonize them. They want to hand you a picture and say "Look at this. This is a baby. You're a murderer if you do this." It's entirely about emotional warfare, not at all about medical health or safety.

This. It isn't about protecting women, it is about furthering their agenda.

abortion is a very personal choice so no one else has the right to get into their business.

Mother risking her priavte area if she gets a abortion. There a chance that can cause her stop making babies.

Joey, while that is possible, the risk is very small if the abortion is done early and by an experienced doctor or medical professional.

And if it is literally a question of saving her life vs. carrying a risky pregnancy to term, saving her life is better even if it does cause the loss of her future fertility. Future fertility is the least of her problems in that case.

It's funny how you talk about "positions of weakness" when having an abortion is about weaknesses on not carrying it to term, too. No one speaks for the unborn.

Wirelessly posted (HTC Thunderbolt)

kokonut said:

It's funny how you talk about "positions of weakness" when having an abortion is about weaknesses on not carrying it to term, too. No one speaks for the unborn.

You're right. Nobody ever speaks up for those poor cancer cells, either! Won't anyone think of the tumors!?

(Also, lots of people "speak up for the unborn" - all the people who want to dictate what women do with their bodies.)

Back