Language hypothesis

Jillio: I own the book and have reread Chapter 2 from the above comments. Hard to believe you are asserting that babies- at birth/2 weeks old can grasps what they are doing-"instinct, perhaps? Minor detail- when do babies/children develop their reasoning ability?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Nope. Innate capability. Babies begin acquiring language at birth. What do you think a cry is? Communication of a need. Intentional. Keep reading.

What form of reasoning ability are you referring to? There are different types at different developmental stages.

Another merry go round; Instincts of babies VS Innate capability. Various types of reasoning at different developmental stages which begs the question: what is "reasoning" at birth- meaningful discussions?
Not sure how any of this fits the discussion of language?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

Another merry go round; Instincts of babies VS Innate capability. Various types of reasoning at different developmental stages which begs the question: what is "reasoning" at birth- meaningful discussions?
Not sure how any of this fits the discussion of language?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

Despite your repeated attempts to engage in intellectual discussion regarding the topic of language, cognition, and development, you have less knowledge regarding the topic than anyone I have seen recently. Instead of turning your nose up simply because you are lacking in knowledge and understanding, I'd suggest you take the time to educate yourself before making your asinine comments. You are appearing more and more the ignorant fool who chooses to remain ignorant.

Jillio why do YOU reply-nothing better to do? Sorry not a psychologist to analyze your reasoning! Are YOU not aware that a "ignorant fool who chooses to remain ignorant" is tautological. You didn't seem to last very long at silence!WHY?

Jillio why do YOU reply-nothing better to do? Sorry not a psychologist to analyze your reasoning! Are YOU not aware that a "ignorant fool who chooses to remain ignorant" is tautological. You didn't seem to last very long at silence!WHY?

I reply because you consistently fail to see the connectedness of the subjects we are discussing, instead choosing to turn your nose up at the connection simply because you don't understand it. It shows an unwillingness to learn.

Why are you replying? It obviously is not to broaden your information base.

What silence are you referring to?

Awwww, shaddup.

Is silence golden?

revelling in silence

Last edited:
Nope. Just switched threads, and still posting stupid replies that are wrong. Imagine trying to give advice on ASL after already stating that you didn't knpw it and had no use for it.:roll:

Sorry Jillio to disabuse of your erroneous hypothesis: I am not giving advice on ASL. You are still transferring your drivel here. No escape!

Sorry Jillio to disabuse of your erroneous hypothesis: I am not giving advice on ASL. You are still transferring your drivel here. No escape!

Still unable to analyze your own actions. And one does not "disabuse" a hypothesis, nor is a hypothesis ever "erroneous".

There is an escape. You just refuse to use it!:cool2: And since you do, think you could possibly wind your way back to the hypothesis we were discussing?

A hearing newborn knows the mother's voice. A newborn will turn to look for the mother. I thought that was so cool when it happened.

A hearing newborn knows the mother's voice. A newborn will turn to look for the mother. I thought that was so cool when it happened.

Absolutely. Sound perception begins long before birth.

Interesting-babies know sound perceptions before birth! Is "hearing" innate? How is that reconcilable to the "cultural theory"?

Interesting-babies know sound perceptions before birth! Is "hearing" innate? How is that reconcilable to the "cultural theory"?
A HEARING baby can hear from the womb. Obviously, a DEAF baby would not be able to. And this has NOTHING to do with CULTURE.

Did you miss that the last few posts before yours were referring to HEARING babies, not deaf ones? Obviously, a deaf baby will not perceive sound in the womb or after birth.
:roll:

Jillio, I agree. Language is a concept.

I know little of the science of child development. As mama and a grandparent with 5 kids and 3 grands to observe and raise, when a child cries, she communicates as you said, and as caregivers/parents, we reinforce that by comforting or picking her up. (Or not) and - Aha/Pah she gets it! She is constantly watching the parents face. When she has eye contact, she will smile or coo. We reinforce this by returning the smile and perhaps even further reward her by cooing back or even funny faces. She learns very quickly!

She will also form grasping gestures, reaching gestures and various facial shapes and expressions long before words form. Hm, it isnt rocket science, it is just nature.

You make it easy to understand from a scientific viewpoint.

:roll: More questions that have already been answered.

Jillio, I agree. Language is a concept.

I know little of the science of child development. As mama and a grandparent with 5 kids and 3 grands to observe and raise, when a child cries, she communicates as you said, and as caregivers/parents, we reinforce that by comforting or picking her up. (Or not) and - Aha/Pah she gets it! She is constantly watching the parents face. When she has eye contact, she will smile or coo. We reinforce this by returning the smile and perhaps even further reward her by cooing back or even funny faces. She learns very quickly!

She will also form grasping gestures, reaching gestures and various facial shapes and expressions long before words form. Hm, it isnt rocket science, it is just nature.

You make it easy to understand from a scientific viewpoint.
:ty:

And having been directly involved in the childhood's of 8 little ones, I'd say you know more about child development than you think you do.:P You just haven't had the opportunity to compare experience to scientific theories of development. But the most important theories on child development have come from observation. Piaget is one of the most respected developmental psychologist in history, and all of his work began with direct observation.

Back