Kids and video games

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just curious about parent's way about what do with kids, like allow them to play on Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, DS, PSP and other game console, or just taking care of education at first place or other something. Are you support ESRB rating, like not let kids to play teen and mature rated games until right age is out on their birthday or rather to wait until 18 or so....

Please discuss here, thanks...

Pacman's post in GA's thread
http://www.alldeaf.com/video-board-games/39948-help-xbox360-xbox360-user-knowledge-2.html#post745922

Just let you know that Xbox 360 in USA can play DVD movies and listen music.

Really? :dunno: I asked my co-worker but she :dunno: either. I forget to ask my son yesterday after read your post. I will ask my son again this evening about your post.

How old are your children? If they are older enough then ask them to find part-time job and save money for send on something, is it bad idea?

Danny is 14 years old today and Alan will be 11 years old in May.

Well, we transfer money allowance (money pocket) to my sons' bank account first week in each month. They can save up and add more money from birthdays, Easter and Christmas from us if they want to... I only allow my sons to work part time at age 14 during school holiday.

I got Xbox 360 as gift from my parent.

How old are you when you got Xbox 360 from your parents?

XBGMER's post in GA's thread
http://www.alldeaf.com/video-board-games/39948-help-xbox360-xbox360-user-knowledge-2.html#post745922

Liebling, Did you know that games are part of educations? and even if your son want his father play with him video games, their relationship as father-son would be improve communcation, build their trusts and enjoy it eachothers.. that is postive things.. it is education and relationship too.. that how My older son jr and I had improved our relationship-communcations in our better trusts. I learned it from therapist who adviced me about it. i thanked therapist.

I'm sorry that I disagree on this because Games is not a "babysitting tool" and the computer is not communication tool to improve the kids's socialize behavior.

I beleive in to help my children develop confidence, socializing skills; good knowledge, abilities ..but computer?

Yes I agree that computer help to motivate students' technology skills example google, scientist, etc... also limit video games as well... but I rather to see my boys to have execrise because it helps social skills and sozialize with people and family than the computer or game console because they need more execrise to reduce sleeping problem, restless, hyperactivity symptoms.

What wrong with that real games (example, scoocer, tennis, bicycle, play card games, monloply games, rollskates, swimming, badminton, etc.) where the children can enjoy themselves until they reach the age for sports? and also communicate during meal time as well? It's waste time to stare on the TV and play computer games where there're real life, they missing... Park amusement? outing trips? communicate bond between children and parents?

I just curious about parent's way about what do with kids, like allow them to play on Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, DS, PSP and other game console, or just taking care of education at first place or other something. Are you support ESRB rating, like not let kids to play teen and mature rated games until right age is out on their birthday or rather to wait until 18 or so....

Please discuss here, thanks...

I'm strict about computer and TV hour limit because my boys' education come first before computer games. I want to see my boys learn real life... If I see good weather then I got them go outside to play badminton with us at garden or swimming... to try to get them to neglect computer and stare TV...

We have Play Station and PS2 and computer games here but why do we want more?

My both boys don't have TV and computer in their rooms but 2 TV in 2 living room and one computer in study room. We will get other computer for games without internet for my boys. I limit one to two hour a day for them to use computer but with homework is a different story. TV limit after evening snack at 6.00 pm. - no morning TV... Depend on good programs where my boys show us TV magazine... and check then agree or not.. then I allow them to watch something positive... like Quiz, children Quiz, play millionaire, (questions and answer games), etc.

My boys know that we won't buy XBox 360, PS3 or whatever because we already bought Play Station and PS2, computer games... That's enough. I told them that I only buy designer clothes, money or whatever EXCEPT computer tools for their birthdays, Easter & Xmas. If they want then they have to save up from their pocket money or collect money from birthday, Easter & Xmas together with pocket money... It's up to them... or wait until their education over and get job then they can get whatever they wants.

Pacman's post in GA's thread

Really? :dunno: I asked my co-worker but she :dunno: either. I forget to ask my son yesterday after read your post. I will ask my son again this evening about your post.

Danny is 14 years old today and Alan will be 11 years old in May.

Well, we transfer money allowance (money pocket) to my sons' bank account first week in each month. They can save up and add more money from birthdays, Easter and Christmas from us if they want to... I only allow my sons to work part time at age 14 during school holiday.

How old are you when you got Xbox 360 from your parents?

1) I think it's console from North America, other name called is NTSC, that one under for USA and Canada but I don't know about Xbox 360 in Germany and it is PAL for most of European Union, PAL is opposite to NTSC. Some people said Xbox 360 in Germany have DVD movie supported for Xbox 360 now and got some of hard time on Google.

2) Oh really? 14 years old children can get part time job? It's seems not so opening in USA since most of them are 16 years old but some companies aren't allow to hire any teenagers until they are 18 years old for some reason, I means only in USA like cannot do with GM at Best Buy (electronic store) and banned to use walkie price device at Wal-Mart until 18 years old, also federal law did banned under 18 years old people to use baler and compactor.

3) I got Xbox 360 when I was 19 years old, just short on right after my birthday from 18 into 19.

Umm.. I can tell you guys that 14 year olds here in the US can get jobs.. I knew quite a few who worked with me at my old job that were 14 or 15. The rule is that children under 16 can't use equipment like cutters, or anything that could hurt them.

personally, I think it is the parent's choice how they choose to raise their children.. whenther it's using TV, Game systems, or movies. Some parents choose to be strict.. others choose to be flexible. And I know a lot of parents who work, and once their children reach a certain age, they become "latchkey" kids.. meaning they have a key to their home, and are left alone til their parents get home, So most of the time, parents will use TV, Games, or whatever as "babysitters." There's no right or wrong way about it.. Some parents just can't afford to pay for real babysitters all the time.

I wouldn't let my kids play video games until they're much older. I'd let my son play educational games on the computer (He plays some sort of Alphabet teaching game usually), but nothing else. He is not ready to play video games or complicated computer games.

I've noticed that children who play video games at a young age develop attention span problems later on. I knew this one woman who let her almost 4 year old son play video games since he was I think 2 and a half, and he now has ADHD (Or ADD? I dunno which, don't remember). I think that if she didn't let him play, I'm sure that his attention span would've been improved by now.

I played RPG shooting games when I was barely 3rd grade, playing Wolfenstein and DOOM. It was over 10 years ago.

Does that made me bad? No. It really depends on every kids & their morals.

I wouldn't really care what games my kids played, as long as I felt the kids were mature enough for them.

I played Doom, Doom II, and many other bloody FPS games. I turned out alright. Of course, my parents encouraged me to go outside and play with friends as well. So, I got other benefits.

I wouldn't want my kid to sit with his eyes glued to the monitor playing bloody FPS games for hours and hours. That can be pretty bad!

i'm a college student, i purchased a wii and wii games. i've wasted 40 hours on a game called Sonic, the secret rings.

and i think it's affecting my education. id play wii beside do something else.

i'm a college student, i purchased a wii and wii games. i've wasted 40 hours on a game called Sonic, the secret rings.

and i think it's affecting my education. id play wii beside do something else.

I am Wii owner and I work full time, dont use Wii that lot, so Sonic, the sercet rings must be addictied and fun to play game??

I am Wii owner and I work full time, dont use Wii that lot, so Sonic, the sercet rings must be addictied and fun to play game??

Definitely. I'm working on each chapter again to use with the new skillz, and get gold medal to replaces the bronze.

that game is very addictive.

it might be difficult at the some point because of the wii controller, gotta read the instruction carefully what to do, and then so on.

it's really awesome.

Definitely. I'm working on each chapter again to use with the new skillz, and get gold medal to replaces the bronze.

that game is very addictive.

it might be difficult at the some point because of the wii controller, gotta read the instruction carefully what to do, and then so on.

it's really awesome.

:hmm: I guess I will considering to buy that game...

maybe you will like to rent that game first before purchase one? to see if you actually like that game.

Rent game? I am not member of gamefly.com, so I can ask other Wii owners at Gallaudet abt that game... Plus I have 6 games of Wii, 2 of them are still sealed, other 4 games almost never used cuz I am too busy with full time work and blah blah...

Rent game? I am not member of gamefly.com, so I can ask other Wii owners at Gallaudet abt that game... Plus I have 6 games of Wii, 2 of them are still sealed, other 4 games almost never used cuz I am too busy with full time work and blah blah...

ooo what games do you have? lol - gamefly isn't only place that you can rent :] go to block n buster, and more :]

Just go to Blockbuster Video or Hollywood Video.

or apply for member on gamefly at Wal-Mart, it will cost $10 per monthly or so.

or buy used game at Gamestop or EBgames, if you do not like it then can trade or get cash back, or add on game credit.

Back