Just wondering...

SunnyUsagi

Reaction score
Do any of you know of a school in either TN or VA that offer ASL as a major. What sign language I do know is more signed english than anything because I don't know the proper structure of ASL. I've wanted to go to school for years, to get the proper training, but everytime I look I can never find the answers I'm looking for. So I thought this would be a good place to ask around. Any help would be sooo appreciated! Thanks!

Terri

Hi SunnyUsagi - have you checked with University of Memphis or Southwest Tennessee to see if they would have such courses?

As for the other colleges/universities in TN with the courses:

Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga.
Maryville College in Maryville.
University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
Nashville State Community College in Nashville-Davidson.

Good luck. :)

Hi SunnyUsagi - have you checked with University of Memphis or Southwest Tennessee to see if they would have such courses?

As for the other colleges/universities in TN with the courses:

Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga.
Maryville College in Maryville.
University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
Nashville State Community College in Nashville-Davidson.

Good luck. :)

Hello Brian. Thank you so much for responding. I have checked with both of those schools. U of M offers a signing class, but its not accredited. Its more for people who want to sign as a hobby, and it was only like 6 weeks long for one day a week. (How much signing can you possibly learn in 6 classes? A lot, I'm sure, but not near enough to pass the state certification test! lol) And Southwest doesn't offer any kind of signing classes that I'm aware of. Thanks for the list of schools, I am going to look into those right now! :)

If you want to take an interpreter certification class, you need to take interpreting classes, not just sign language. If a person tried to take a doctor exam after anatomy lessons, they might know the body, but not how it works. Same with interpreting; it is a specialized field that requires classes.

I suggest looking on RID.org for their database of Interpreter Training Programs.

If you want to take an interpreter certification class, you need to take interpreting classes, not just sign language. If a person tried to take a doctor exam after anatomy lessons, they might know the body, but not how it works. Same with interpreting; it is a specialized field that requires classes.

I suggest looking on RID.org for their database of Interpreter Training Programs.

That is what I was saying. The only classes offered locally that I can find are just sign language, and that is not enough to become an interpreter I know. I looked at RID a long time ago, and it kind of confused me. I guess I should go take a look around there again. Thanks for your input. :)

Nashville State Community College
Associate Degree
Nashville TN

Tennessee Temple University
Associate Degree
Bachelor Degree
Chattanooga TN

These are the two colleges in TN offering degreed ITPs.

Back