Just train pictures and train stories

CicagoBlue... might want to research more on your "RARE" train signals, those you posted I see everywhere and the ones you posted look pretty close to new, not rusted, bent, in disrepair...ect...
I thought you were taking them around town, but see you were just posting from the net...Here are some Rare train crossing/signals

Attachments

• rt1.jpg
    rt1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 6
  • rt2.jpg
    rt2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 7
  • rt3.jpg
    rt3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 7
  • rt4.jpg
    rt4.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 8
  • rt5.jpg
    rt5.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 6
CicagoBlue... might want to research more on your "RARE" train signals, those you posted I see everywhere and the ones you posted look pretty close to new, not rusted, bent, in disrepair...ect...
I thought you were taking them around town, but see you were just posting from the net...Here are some Rare train crossing/signals

Do you know what year they were built? They don't make these anymore, hence why they're rare.

Do you know what year they were built? They don't make these anymore, hence why they're rare.

If they are still made, still maintained, not rare. Rare is if they are taken out of service ( collectors buy them or people referbish for show...ect...
Not rare if you see them every day.

If they are still made, still maintained, not rare. Rare is if they are taken out of service ( collectors buy them or people referbish for show...ect...
Not rare if you see them every day.

Yeah--there aren't any in IL anymore. All the railroads are upgrading the equipment to something more modern, now that high-speed rail is finally in IL. Used to have a few wooden crossing gate crossbucks near the Brown Line, until they got taken out of service and upgraded to Safetran stuff.

Yeah--there aren't any in IL anymore. All the railroads are upgrading the equipment to something more modern, now that high-speed rail is finally in IL. Used to have a few wooden crossing gate crossbucks near the Brown Line, until they got taken out of service and upgraded to Safetran stuff.

Go to Sauget or Cahokia.... Right by the Monsanto Plant.... wrong again.

Go to Sauget or Cahokia.... Right by the Monsanto Plant.... wrong again.

That's not anywhere near the Amtrak lines here in IL-- the furthest south any Amtrak line goes is Carbondale, and the furthest southwest is Quincy, IL, and that itself is still up north. Those areas are far down south, but I wouldn't be surprised if CSX replaced those, if they own them, or Union Pacific. I know BNSF doesn't have territory down there, but Canadian National does. Those are the three I know of that head that far south in IL.

wrong again, there is an AMtrack station right here in St. Louis City, shame I didnt take a picture of it while I was there... maybe this weekend Ill get it. Amtrack travels everywhere they have a station.

Last year, took Amtrak From St Louis to Michigan and back to Chicago at the hub and to California. Smooth sailing and got to the destination an hour early.

wrong again, there is an AMtrack station right here in St. Louis City, shame I didnt take a picture of it while I was there... maybe this weekend Ill get it. Amtrack travels everywhere they have a station.

Wasn't talking about St. Louis-- IL only. I know there is one there.

Well, since you mentioned Union Station in St. Louis, here it is:

Stl_union_station.jpg

This is just many of the Union Stations Amtrak owns, the most famous being Chicago Union Station, home of Amtrak and Metra trains.

This is Chicago Union Station. This is at the intersection of Jackson and Canal, facing south.

Union-station.jpg

I have been to this station several times over the last 10+ years, mainly for the Amtrak.

This is what I see before I leave CUS, and when I arrive, knowing it's my final stop prior to going back to my house:

chicago_union6.jpg

Now, when I board the 4:05 PM Illini, this station is usually hopping with trains for rush hour. However, if I get back home on a Sunday night, which I usually do, it'll look almost like this, because there aren't many trains except the 12:35 AM Metra.

This is Joliet Union Station, which serves two Metra lines and the Amtrak. Freight trains also go through here, but at restricted speeds:

RRS23.jpg

Now, I've never been here, but maybe someday.

Some more photos of Ogilvie Transportation Center:

47591827.jpg

This is the entrance from Madison and Canal heading to the Metra. I see these pillars every time I go through those doors to the right of this photo.

ogilvie-transportation-center.jpg

This is at Washington and Canal-- the prelude to the secondary entrance to the Metra, just beyond the bridge.

Chicagos_Ogilvie_Transportation_Center_HDR.jpg

Metra trains parked and ready to go. This station has 18 tracks, the 2nd most to Union Station's 40+.

530068_352404714847787_632780031_n.jpg

This area is where you can get Amtrak and Metra schedules. I have the 2014 Winter and Spring Amtrak schedules for this Spring season. :P

Oh, yeah. Forgot this:

5636662032_7bbc8b7e6f_o.jpg

There are two of these-- one at each end of the station. Because my eyes are not strong enough to see the wording, I depend on these to get on the right train, and the right track.

Well, since you mentioned Union Station in St. Louis, here it is:

Stl_union_station.jpg

This is just many of the Union Stations Amtrak owns, the most famous being Chicago Union Station, home of Amtrak and Metra trains.

I worked there back in the late 80's... place has gone downhill since.

ChicagoBlue2
Do you have a paper map that shows the whole state of Illinois?

Back