Just out of curiousity

inafune

Reaction score
How many people actually dated someone hearing? Any suggestions? Difficulties? I might be getting in one soon and the thing is the guy doesn't really understand my hearing loss. I'm able to pass myself as a someone with higher hearing (I'm in the serve to profound range). I realize that I should talk to him and if he doesn't get it, just don't bother.

And I don't sign.

Sorry if this was posted b4 but I am just curious. Just started the site today. ^_^'

I've dated a few hearing people before. It's nice since I'm oral, but I still had problems with communication.

One knew she had to look at me when she talked and she knew very little sign language, but she immediately shifted to the hearing world when she talks to other people and often left me out by accident.

Another was an interpreting student, but she still forgot to sign when she was in a room full of hearing people. Even worse, my parents started treating her like my interpreter instead of talking to me directly like they normally do. It's like, if there's an interpreter in the room with me... they automatically shift to "Okay, this is his interpreter now!" It was annoying.

Another was also an interpreting student, but she was the best hearing person I actually dated. Even if she was in a room full of hearing people, she would still make sure that I wasn't left out. That's why it was easy for both of us.

No, I was never in a relationship with any of them... nor do I plan on getting in a relationship with anyone hearing.

Well...................hearing status is like gender for me. I'm bi and I don't really care about loving someone based on the fact that they have an innie or an outie. I love hearing people, and I love dhh people.

I've dated a few hearing people before. It's nice since I'm oral, but I still had problems with communication.

One knew she had to look at me when she talked and she knew very little sign language, but she immediately shifted to the hearing world when she talks to other people and often left me out by accident.

Another was an interpreting student, but she still forgot to sign when she was in a room full of hearing people. Even worse, my parents started treating her like my interpreter instead of talking to me directly like they normally do. It's like, if there's an interpreter in the room with me... they automatically shift to "Okay, this is his interpreter now!" It was annoying.

Another was also an interpreting student, but she was the best hearing person I actually dated. Even if she was in a room full of hearing people, she would still make sure that I wasn't left out. That's why it was easy for both of us.

No, I was never in a relationship with any of them... nor do I plan on getting in a relationship with anyone hearing.

I have dated several hearing girls but never had a deaf gf... Well I did but it was online so I really didn't count it...

Anyways, I'm profoundly deaf and use sign language to communicate so I always have to write back and forth with girls. I think they were ok but it was tiring. I got tired of writing too but... what can I do? It was annoying because I used to always ask "what are you talking about?" and I HATED doing that.

My last ex actually knows sign language and I totally understand how you feel about being left out in the "hearing" world. She has done that sometimes. One day I got really pissed off about that and went in her room and took a nap lol.

But idk if I'd want to only date deaf girls from on now. I don't care if the girl is hearing or deaf as long as the hearing girl is ok with communicating differently...

Ok, ill shut up now...

Back