Just got Purple IP relay and I have stupid questions

PowerON: Show me where it mention "Visual disabilities" please?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...B8F5GPlX5KYRCLoNLueQ3MJlWCCxzKudWa2A47zysFGMx

Relay services allow people with communications disabilities to interact with voice phone users through a keyboard or other input method.

There are various types of relay service. Telecommunications relay service is a telephone service that allows people with hearing or speech disabilities to place and receive telephone calls. Telecommunications relay service is available in all U.S. states and territories for local and/or long distance calls at no additional cost to the consumer.

Video relay service enables people with hearing disabilities who use American Sign Language to communicate with voice telephone users through video equipment, rather than through typed text. IP relay allows people who have difficulty hearing or speaking to communicate through a traditional telephone system. IP relay is accessed using a computer and the Internet, rather than a TTY and a telephone.

Again, what does this thread has to do with Usher Syndrome? I have NOTHING against people with visual impairments.

If a person is blind and is hearing then they can NOT register and use relay service of any kind, but can use it with other caller that is either Deaf or HOH. That is clearly written in FCC regulation while if a person who is blind and Deaf (or HOH) then they are qualified because they are Deaf or HoH simple as is, that is what FCC made it clear 3 years ago.

And please go to iTRS website though FCC.gov and find laws with iTRS that mentioned Usher Syndrome and show me. I don't think you will find one.

I have not gone back to look for it but as I remember it came up when discussing how to find rules and someone referred to a site that would not be accessible to someone with visual problems that can come from Usher Syndrome.

There have been confusion for years until about 2 or 3 years ago that FCC made it crystal clear, forced many of iTRS providers pay back what they billed plus some fines on these illegal calls.

Now that is why all iTRS providers are now required to register their customers and verify that one who is register and get 10 digit local number is Deaf or HOH, nothing else.

I have not gone back to look for it but as I remember it came up when discussing how to find rules and someone referred to a site that would not be accessible to someone with visual problems that can come from Usher Syndrome.

Again, what does this thread has to do with Usher Syndrome? I have NOTHING against people with visual impairments.

If a person is blind and is hearing then they can NOT register and use relay service of any kind, but can use it with other caller that is either Deaf or HOH. That is clearly written in FCC regulation while if a person who is blind and Deaf (or HOH) then they are qualified because they are Deaf or HoH simple as is, that is what FCC made it clear 3 years ago.

And please go to iTRS website though FCC.gov and find laws with iTRS that mentioned Usher Syndrome and show me. I don't think you will find one.

You're awful prick on too specs. Maybe I didn't said the specs that usher syndrome level III which have completed loss hearing and medium visual, it come with blind spot. Maybe you don't know much about usher syndrome well.

I learned that usnder syndrome level II that is deaf and can see well behind the dark area.

No, in legal world, they are awfully specific and picky! They don't care who the person were, all they do is read the law and just followed it period. No ands ifs buts excuses. That is where you don't understand. FCC don't care about anything that is not written in law, PERIOD. In other word, to FCC eyes, it is black and white, period. No grey area.

SIMPLE, if the person is Deaf or HOH, then they are qualified, the rest is NOT qualified. No argument, no exception no nothing. You can't win if you brought this in court room, because judge would throw it away as lack of merit.

And you still failed show me that blind person is qualified or permitted to register iTRS account and get 10 digit local number. Refer to post #41 which is actually from FCC, where does it say "Include blind", "Usher Sydnrome"?

I know Usher syndrome can be Deaf and since that person with Usher Syndrome that is actually Deaf or HOH CAN register and get 10 digit local number. But if Usher Syndrome and not Deaf nor HOH then sorry, not qualified, end of discussion. That!

Same concept with Handicapped parking permit... Can Deafies get one just because they are Deaf? Deaf is part of Handicapped, right? Of course but still can't get handicapped parking permit anyway WHY? It is how the law was written. It wrote clearly that if a person that has limited mobility ability then can get permit, Deaf? Nope not qualified.

Smithtr just created thread, that is exact what I am talking about.

Because ADA law was written before the explosion of Internet, the judge can not side with Deaf N blind because of that. ADA was written to limited areas and didn't include the Internet. It will change, only Congress can change that law so hopefully they can re-write to include Internet, see link below and read what judge said.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifest...g-retailers-to-offer-disabled-friendly-sites/

You're awful prick on too specs. Maybe I didn't said the specs that usher syndrome level III which have completed loss hearing and medium visual, it come with blind spot. Maybe you don't know much about usher syndrome well.

I learned that usnder syndrome level II that is deaf and can see well behind the dark area.

Im not sure exact what you are trying to do. I am not 100% clear on what you mean. Yes, it can be confused and I WAS confused with mobile, but got it.

Question, did you try port the number during registration?

If YES, it can take up to two weeks if I recall right
If no, then usually when you register and they (Relay provider offered or assigns you a number for you to use and you can use it right away.

I believe if it is IP relay (Text based), then you need call Customer service to prove your Deaf. It is not that hard, just call though video which will be easier to prove you use signs and have reason need of relay.

There are different kinds of relay services available and I am STILL not sure what you are trying to do?

Video relay call with or without VCO
Text based Relay call with or without VCO
Caption call or similiar type of relay

Which one of above 5 different kinds are you trying to use?

What what what? What if that deaf doesn't know sign language nor have poor visual like usher syndrome? Make no sense.

Well I went back and found how Usher Syndrome got into this thread.

At the part I have added bold to diehardbiker brings up using video to call Customer Service.

Then PowerON used Usher Syndrome as an example of someone that can be both and that video would not be good for a person with Usher Syndrome.

I understand that, the problem is FCC is experiencing very high abuses and they are costing them in tune of millions of dollars in the past. Do you think anyone spending millions of dollars would take this lightly?

I am not saying that Usher Syndrome that is actually Deaf or HOH can not do anything. What a person with Usher Syndrome could have done is find a Deaf person with VRS then call them and show their ID and swear that this person is Deaf or HOH. That is all it takes. I know it is frustration for them.

I just registered another 10 digit local number and HAD to show my ID to verify EVEN though that person were one of my best friend! He knows I am Deaf, but he asked me ANYWAY.

I did mentioned 3 years ago in other thread that Relay service industry WILL change, 3 years passed, now it is happening already.

Well I went back and found how Usher Syndrome got into this thread.

At the part I have added bold to diehardbiker brings up using video to call Customer Service.

Then PowerON used Usher Syndrome as an example of someone that can be both and that video would not be good for a person with Usher Syndrome.

On the brighter side, have you notice any scammers using relay to defraud anyone in the last couple years? I see big drop already, and have you noticed more and more banks now honor relay calls than before? Thanks to new regulations that will prevent future abuses and hopefully more hearing people would feel comfortable with relay after seeing your own caller ID rather than Relay caller ID.

I called Wells Fargo months ago, and had no issues with them. They didn't complain that I used relay at all.

Improvement is on way as I believe. But it won't be the same as 5 years ago.

Yes first I ran into problems registering for purple because they couldn't verify my identity. I had moved months and months ago and forgot to change my address with the DMV, that's who they check your address through not the post office or whatever. SO I had to go the DMV, change my address, then scan a copy of my new license and my damn social security card!!! and email it to them. I got an email back thanking me and giving me a link to follow to activate my number. But when I did that I got some kind of error message, this was like 2 months ago I forget. SO I emailed support. Didn't hear back from the for like a week. So I resent the copies directly to the person who first responded when I coudln't register. Never heard back from her. Then a couple weeks ago I started getting emails from i711 that I missed a call, someone had dialed my relay number. So I was huh? I have a number? they never answered me. And what is this i711?

Now when I first tried to register I had a droid. Then I got an iphone, and when I did I still downloaded the purple app and tried to register again. Soooo this is why I've been trying again. I"d pretty much decided they were assholes that wouldn't customer support me lol. This is bout when I figured out that there was the i711 purple, for the iphone, and the other purple iprelay. If I go to purple's i711 website I can make a phone call with my computer. But I can't do it with my phone. It tell me I don't have a number and I need to register, then it sends me to the site to log on, and when I do that it gives me this message. Login Error invalid RONnumber provided Contact Customer Care to correct. Which is kind of strange...I wasn't putting in a number, but my email address and password. I told all this to customer support yesterday morning in an email...and they still haven't responded to me.

PAIN IN THE ASS YES!

The Sprint is def for Droid and won't work, and I'm really going to have to certify I'm deaf/hoh to get Hamiltons, at least for now I can use the perple on my computer. The sprint one sounded like a bit of a pain anyway having to put in two phone numbers everytime. At least I rarely ever make phone calls, but it would be convenient.

Oh yeah!! I was talking about this on face book yesterday and wondering about how bad the delay will be between responses. One of my friends said , oh it's not that bad some of her friends had the service. I asked her really? You have deaf or hoh friends, she said no they were pricks and were using it to make crank calls, pretending to be a business and doing survey's on sex toys. stinking people like that, that is why I'm having sch a hard time getting relay service.

I know this doesn't help, but I actually learned something in this thread! I had no idea that the process of getting relay #'s and accounts set up had become so complicated. I signed up for mine many years ago before the FCC imposed their regulations. Sorry, Ambrosia that it's become so headache-y. :(

One question - sorry if I missed this in this thread - but do you have a landline? And a computer? Or only your cell phone? (oops, that was 3 questions. :lol: )

One question - sorry if I missed this in this thread - but do you have a landline? And a computer? Or only your cell phone? (oops, that was 3 questions. :lol: )
no land line, computer and cell phone

no land line, computer and cell phone

Ok, the thought that came to mind was WebCaptel. Actually, you might be able to accomplish all of that with a cell phone too, but that would be so slow, I think (and costly if you don't have a phone plan on your cell phone.) Again, I signed up for mine years ago so that was easy to register. For all I know, WebCaptel might be just as complicated now as the others you've been trying.

Exactly, that is what FCC is after. Not many Deafies realize how bad abuses exists today and it is costing FCC in tune millions of dollars. We do not know the extent of abuses but significant enough for FCC to scrutiny over this.

That is the first half of problem, other half of problem is that how to use it seems to be complicated but really its very simple.

Oh yeah!! I was talking about this on face book yesterday and wondering about how bad the delay will be between responses. One of my friends said , oh it's not that bad some of her friends had the service. I asked her really? You have deaf or hoh friends, she said no they were pricks and were using it to make crank calls, pretending to be a business and doing survey's on sex toys. stinking people like that, that is why I'm having sch a hard time getting relay service.

Yes first I ran into problems registering for purple because they couldn't verify my identity. I had moved months and months ago and forgot to change my address with the DMV, that's who they check your address through not the post office or whatever. SO I had to go the DMV, change my address, then scan a copy of my new license and my damn social security card!!! and email it to them. I got an email back thanking me and giving me a link to follow to activate my number. But when I did that I got some kind of error message, this was like 2 months ago I forget. SO I emailed support. Didn't hear back from the for like a week. So I resent the copies directly to the person who first responded when I coudln't register. Never heard back from her. Then a couple weeks ago I started getting emails from i711 that I missed a call, someone had dialed my relay number. So I was huh? I have a number? they never answered me. And what is this i711?

Now when I first tried to register I had a droid. Then I got an iphone, and when I did I still downloaded the purple app and tried to register again. Soooo this is why I've been trying again. I"d pretty much decided they were assholes that wouldn't customer support me lol. This is bout when I figured out that there was the i711 purple, for the iphone, and the other purple iprelay. If I go to purple's i711 website I can make a phone call with my computer. But I can't do it with my phone. It tell me I don't have a number and I need to register, then it sends me to the site to log on, and when I do that it gives me this message. I told all this to customer support yesterday morning in an email...and they still haven't responded to me.

PAIN IN THE ASS YES!

The Sprint is def for Droid and won't work, and I'm really going to have to certify I'm deaf/hoh to get Hamiltons, at least for now I can use the perple on my computer. The sprint one sounded like a bit of a pain anyway having to put in two phone numbers everytime. At least I rarely ever make phone calls, but it would be convenient.

Assuming that you are in an area where Verizon has strong, stable 3G service or the the particular model of Droid you had (do you still have it and would want to go back to it?) is one that can use 4G service and that Verizon offers 4G service where you are the Sprint app is no harder then making a voice call. I have some problems with what I am saying cutting in and out for the people I call because my 3G Verizon speed fluctuates from moment to moment.

With the Sprint app loaded (phone set to do so at startup or the app started as you would any other app) you are presented with what looks like a landline dial pad. You press the numbers of the phone number of the person (or business) you want to call on your touch screen and then touch where it says "Call". It will then switch you to a screen where you will see a dialing message followed by ringing or busy. When the person picks up you will see what they say on that screen. It is best to say something to them as soon as you start to get the captions as if you wait until you get everything they said as a greeting the may have hung up because of the slight delay.

All of this is demonstrated on their site at Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

Please take the time to read their site throughly! You do not have to enter two numbers on the cell version.

I think I was thinking of what people have to do to call you, they have to dial the relay service number, then your number followed by the # sign.

So you have computer and Cell phone right?

Correct!

SO right now I can use purple to call on my comp right so I'm pretty happy with that. It would be nice if I could use my cell though, when I'm at work on my break. I work 9-5 which is typical business hours you know what I'm saying, sometimes it might be to late by the time I get home.

Thats the earliest days of relay service system. It is gone forever, now we have 10 digital local number. Which means it is your real number. All you have to do is give anyone your 10 digit local number and it is unique for you. When they call you, it will automatically connect to relay operator and will get connect with you automatically. Just one number that is all you need.

I think I was thinking of what people have to do to call you, they have to dial the relay service number, then your number followed by the # sign.

A message from the Purple team for Ambrosia:
Purple would like to apologize for the technical difficulties you are experiencing with our text relay service. We are taking steps to resolve any issues with our system and software. For the problems you have encountered, we are reaching out to you privately to provide resolution. We appreciate your support, and we hope to hear from you as soon as possible. Thank you for choosing Purple as your relay provider.

Back